Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-22-2001, 04:28 AM   #1
Darkman

This is going to sound really stupid, but I don't know where I can find an [free] online copy of the Dungeons & Dragons rules. I'm looking for the complete rules, 2nd or 3rd edition I guess, including character creation, combat, etc. I checked numerous fan sites but all they had were player submitted optional rules and additions, or abridged bits and pieces of the rules. I even checked the TSR and Wizards of the Coast sites but they wanted me to buy the handbook...

Help a clueless n00bie out
Old 10-22-2001, 05:01 AM   #2
Moiraine
Anubis

Darkman, that's the trick, you won't find the complete rules unless you buy the books ! You can download stuff from thw Wizards of the Coast site, including character sheets, that may help.

Now, I see you live in Austin, Texas, so please please please could you help me with this please ?

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 10-22-2001, 06:11 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Sorry can´t help you here, but only way to find it is to buy the books!

..or ask one of thoose that plays to give you some info.. could be long mails though!

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-22-2001, 06:12 AM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

bro, I used to have free rules of AD&D... ackkk... not much help, rukt? I'd put these things up online on my own website if one can give me the link to free rules
Old 10-22-2001, 06:16 AM   #5
Argus
The Magister

There used to be a few homepages where people had second edition rules posted, but most got ferreted out.

If you find them, I'd be careful linking to them or widely broadcasting their existence, WOTC is pretty fanatic from what I understand in terms of searching down free copies on the net.

Your best bet is to do a couple of searches on university bulletin boards which generally tend to fly beneath the radar of WOTC.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:19 AM   #6
Darkman

Bummer! Maybe I'll check ebay and see if someone is willing to part with their handbooks
Old 10-22-2001, 07:42 AM   #7
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hold on to your lugnuts!!!

The wolf been out hunting here.. Except for an old wabbit I found you this..
http://www.wizards.com/D20/main.asp?x=welcome,3

From the D20 system, the basics the D&D games is based on so to say, the "engine". I hope you can find something helpful in the RTF archieve to the right!
Hope it helps some!

------------------

Howling to the moon, cause this world seems so far away..
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-22-2001, 08:24 AM   #8
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

I don't think you will find any for free online...

If you go to a Hobby Store that sells gaming supplies you might be able to find "used" copies of the books much more cheaply than buying new. You will also find the the 3E books are a bit more expensive. "Used" books are generally about 1/2 price. Sometimes even lower.

Most of the stores that sell used items are the ones in strip malls. The chain stores sometimes have a small supply of these items. The other thing you could do is look on eBay.

------------------

The line between good and evil is razor sharp. Be careful of misteps,
lest you find yourself spitted upon your own blade.
Old 10-22-2001, 08:38 AM   #9
Legolas the Elven Archer

There are a couple of sites with at least part of the rules, which are here, here, here and here to name a few. I remember a site with a lot of information on ADND but I can't find it anymore

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 10-22-2001, 08:48 AM   #10
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkman:
Bummer! Maybe I'll check ebay and see if someone is willing to part with their handbooks
eBay, half.com, and even try amazon.com or other online book dealers. I have mine, but I'm not willing to part with them.

I MIGHT be persuaded to dig them up to give you info if you need it, but never will I part with my books.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*