Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-19-2000, 09:52 PM   #1
Bobby

I'm gonna feel really stupid I'm sure, but...

I just got the game Sunday (how about that! USPS delivering on a Sunday! whodathunkit?) anyway, after doing the " do I have the most current drivers?" hopscotch, the game was up and running complete with the latest International & English patches installed ( in that order ).

I of course was enthused about importing my dyslexic fighter/sushi chef, Trebor, from BG1. I clicked on "import" and got a option window that says, "Select the type of file (BG1 or BG2) to import from" with the options: "Character File", "Saved Game", and "Cancel" as options. When I clicked "Character File" I could only access pre-generated characters. When I clicked "Saved Game", I get a screen that says I can access any previous BG1 or BG2 character. BUT!!! But, the only "lit" option here is the "Back" button.

THAT was yesterday...today I figured I try to manually copy the auto-saved game file from BG1 and place it in the BG2 saved game file. Viola! That appears to have solved the problem as I can now access good ol' Trebor, though it was without his trusty Ginsu knives.

My question...Is that the way it was supposed to go? I mean, I saw no mention of having to do a manual file copy for importing. Did I miss something?

Oh...and while I'm here...would it be better to run the game with one or both patches? (International vs English Patches

Well thanx for reading this so far. And even a bigger thanx to those who respond.

B.B.Bob

Old 12-19-2000, 09:59 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

When I import my BG1 character, I just copy and paste the character file from the "character folder" in BG1 directory to the "character folder" in the BG2 directory. As for the patches.....you only need to have one running....I think the effects are the same, I did not really check out the international patch since the original English patch fixed all the problems I have complained about.
Old 12-19-2000, 10:02 PM   #3
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Also (I am not sure if this applies to the international patch), for some of the effects of the English patch to work, I had to set "disable sound=0" (or something like that) under "program option", if you set the variable to =1, then you have no sound/music during the game.......
Old 12-19-2000, 10:02 PM   #4
Armisael

Heh heh. Sushi chef. Interesting idea for a fighter kit. I've heard a couple of problems like this involving BG - BG2 importing, but you seem to have gotten it working, so that's well and good. And regarding the patches - you only need one, since they do the exact same thing from what I can tell.