Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default The Special Effects in "I am number four"

I've been wanting to share my thoughts on the special effects of "I am number four", particularly with the powers that number six has. Now, before I get into it, I am completlely aware that the movie does not follow the book well. I read that the director has never even read the whole book, and filming began before the book was even released or something.

Anyway, I wanted to talk about Hollywood's great effects of phasing, teleporting or displacement. I don't know which is most accurate. The first time I ever remember seeing it was with Nighcrawler on X-Men 2, at the beginning when he attacked the president in the White House. Wiki describes his powers as teleportation. He disappears in a puff of smoke only to appear elsewhere nearly instantaneously. I loved those effects and how smooth the battle went, and how deadly he appeared as a one-man army! Somewhere along the line I started calling that ability phasing or displacement...such as a displacer beast might do in D&D.

When I saw that power again on "I am number four", I was mesmerized. The way #6 used that power to fight was great...but when she combined that fight-style and fought in partnership with #4, it blew me away. I don't want to offer up any spoilers, but at the end when she used it help #4, and then used her other ability to shield...that fight scene alone made the movie.

I know I am a visual junkie. Does anyone share my feelings on the subject ?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Re: The Special Effects in "I am number four"

I've heard that the heat conjoined with the humidity in NC this time of year can create...

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Worried Re: The Special Effects in "I am number four"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
I've been wanting to share my thoughts on the special effects of "I am number four", particularly with the powers that number six has. Now, before I get into it, I am completlely aware that the movie does not follow the book well. I read that the director has never even read the whole book, and filming began before the book was even released or something.

Anyway, I wanted to talk about Hollywood's great effects of phasing, teleporting or displacement. I don't know which is most accurate. The first time I ever remember seeing it was with Nighcrawler on X-Men 2, at the beginning when he attacked the president in the White House. Wiki describes his powers as teleportation. He disappears in a puff of smoke only to appear elsewhere nearly instantaneously. I loved those effects and how smooth the battle went, and how deadly he appeared as a one-man army! Somewhere along the line I started calling that ability phasing or displacement...such as a displacer beast might do in D&D.

When I saw that power again on "I am number four", I was mesmerized. The way #6 used that power to fight was great...but when she combined that fight-style and fought in partnership with #4, it blew me away. I don't want to offer up any spoilers, but at the end when she used it help #4, and then used her other ability to shield...that fight scene alone made the movie.

I know I am a visual junkie. Does anyone share my feelings on the subject ?
In D&D terms I'd say Nightcrawlers' ability would be classed as "blinking". Short range repetetive teleports. As for the movie, I am # 4, I ain't seen it yet although have heard good things.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Nightcrawler and #6 would have the power of teleportation (or blinking as SW said). The ability to "jump" instantly from one spot to another. This was also used in the 2008 movie "Jumper" which had some very cool fight sequences of it's own.

Displacement is completely different. The person doesn't actually "jump" anywhere, they just appear to be a few feet away from the actual location. It's an illusion rather than a physical shift. Mysterio and Mastermind use that ploy a lot. Dr. Doom often does it with his technology and I would wager most telepaths could "create" a displaced image in the minds of their opponent if they wished. Not really the same power, but it does have the same effect.

Phasing has more to do with altering the density of the person's body instead of teleporting. Shadowcat and Vision are the most obvious examples of phasing.

Getting back to the OP, you've now convinced me that I definitely want to see this movie.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Like displacer beasts in D&D. The ability to bend light rays to make them appear closer or farther than they really are.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
javan
Zhentarim Guard

I thought that Shadowcat's phasing was done by synchronizing the spin of her atoms with the material she was phasing through. “Like the blades of an eggbeater” is how it was described. This would disrupt any electronics she was phasing through.

This, indeed, sounds like a movie I would like to see.

Last edited by javan; 06-06-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling *sigh*
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

This is her particular mutant explanation - which was retconned btw, because I remember they used to compare her more to a ghost before adding in heavily scientific explanations. Phasing in all its forms does the same thing but of course has different logic behind it. When Doctor Strange does it, it is like being noncorpreal like a ghost. He also astrally projects alot, leaving his body asleep as his "spirit" flies around doing this and that. Then there's phasing and there's phase-shifting - too much.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for the replies. So, blinking is a better term, then? I like that better than teleportation because teleportation to me is too akin to what Trekkies understand...blinking in rapid succession during a fight sequence leaving puffs of smoke here and there, man...I want to see that battle again! I was waiting the whole movie just for that last part because I'd seen it in the trailers.

So, to give you some more info on the movie, #4 is an alien who has become old enough to start getting his powers. He inherited them from his parents, or something. There are others like him who are the last of their kind. They have body guards to protect them while they're kids. What #4's body guard cannot do is protect this teen from wanting to live like other teens and hang out with girls and stuff. That gets him noticed by a lot of people, notably the bad guys. Good thing is...by the time the bad guys have tracked him down, he's old enough to start getting some powers. So far, he has this ability to shine light from his hands and can send blasts of energy or something to knock things around. (He's also strong and acrobatic now). What really got me and made me sit up and take notice was when #6 reveals to him that his "weapon" can actually be used to help her do her job better, and then I realize that oh my gosh! His hot girlfriend cannot compete with another hot chick who happens to appear as though she and he were meant to be together, fighting as a fantastic team because they together do so much better than either alone. To watch them fight together, you'd swear they were supposed to be together...it's crazy!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: The Special Effects in "I am number four"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
Thanks for the replies. So, blinking is a better term, then? I like that better than teleportation because teleportation to me is too akin to what Trekkies understand...blinking in rapid succession during a fight sequence leaving puffs of smoke here and there, man...I want to see that battle again! I was waiting the whole movie just for that last part because I'd seen it in the trailers.

So, to give you some more info on the movie, #4 is an alien who has become old enough to start getting his powers. He inherited them from his parents, or something. There are others like him who are the last of their kind. They have body guards to protect them while they're kids. What #4's body guard cannot do is protect this teen from wanting to live like other teens and hang out with girls and stuff. That gets him noticed by a lot of people, notably the bad guys. Good thing is...by the time the bad guys have tracked him down, he's old enough to start getting some powers. So far, he has this ability to shine light from his hands and can send blasts of energy or something to knock things around. (He's also strong and acrobatic now). What really got me and made me sit up and take notice was when #6 reveals to him that his "weapon" can actually be used to help her do her job better, and then I realize that oh my gosh! His hot girlfriend cannot compete with another hot chick who happens to appear as though she and he were meant to be together, fighting as a fantastic team because they together do so much better than either alone. To watch them fight together, you'd swear they were supposed to be together...it's crazy!
Yeah like I said, i'm hearing great stuff about that movie. Gonna go see it soon. That and X-Men and Cap and Harry Potter - lots to do!

Here's the NC scene btw, they incorporated the signature "BAMF!" that NC does in the comics. Not sure I am thrilled about the actor who played him but meh.