Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-06-2000, 04:23 PM   #1
Axis

I know these realms are quite a ways apart from each other. IF it was possible, who would win if your Diablo 2 character fought your BG 2 character? I'm pretty sure my BG2 character would win, it would be damn close. What about yours?

Old 12-06-2000, 04:31 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

It really depends on which class in both games you are comparing with. For those of us who have played D2, we should all know what the Necro at high level is capable of doing.......bone spirit, bone spear, and the of course....iron maiden. But if you compare a high level mage in BG2 with the Necro in D2, I would say it is a pretty even match, provided the Necro has to follow the round rules in BG games. (ie. attacks per round and number of spells cast per round).
Old 12-06-2000, 06:13 PM   #3
Aegis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

A Close match, but the BG charachter would loose, since D2 as
stated b4 has rather superior spells, if the BG2 would use
the contingency he might stand a chance...

Aegis

"Too much too soon, to late"
Old 12-06-2000, 11:29 PM   #4
!Unknown!

Diablo 2 easy. Mainly because everyone has hacked thier characters till they are god like. But if they were normal still would be D2 because its balanced high. The whole D&D realm has been balanced low. Example you start off with anywhere from 4-15 hp in BG/D&D. In D2 you get a 25-30 hp at the start. You cant compare the two.

Old 12-07-2000, 02:08 AM   #5
Kaël

The tning is
Diablo character can cast spells without memorize and a lot faster
unless you happend to be casting timestop ofcourse

Old 12-07-2000, 03:00 AM   #6
antaren420

despite what you point out as advantages of d2, i cannot justify giving d2 any props over bg2. d1 was a landmark game, and without it we would never have had games like plainscape and bg1. true d2 is best at what it does, the hack and slash and the hail of spells that a sorceress can cast. however, all the spells in d2 only have one effect, dealing damage. some spells like the ice spells have an extra effect, freezing enemies. there might be a few other spells i'm not thinkng of. the palidin spells were kinda cool, but got annoying after a while since half of them were the same as the necromancer's spells. necromancer was the most original spell caster out of the bunch, and even he didnt have much else he could do past summoning an army of skelotons and blowing up dead bodies. barbarian has some interesting but farely useless skills, since that wirlwind attack just about diced everthing in site. when i played d2, i loved it and couldnt think of how it could be better (except for the intentional lack of plot, thanx blizzard). then i played bg2, and i couldnt believe that i had ever liked d2 after playing bg2. i'll admit that most people on multiplayer should play d2, since very few people i've played with in bg2 multiplayer care about the plot and just want to kill stuff. however, in single or multiplayer we had to take time to evaluate the situation and choose the most effective attack from a very large selection of tactics, where as in d2 i found my self using the same 2 or 3 spells the entire game, and being a palidin or barbarian was simple as hell. d2 is a constant stream of creatures that you eigther kill, get killed by, or (if your lucky) are able to run away from if they are too tough. in bg2, there were times where i savered the battle, yelled in anger when i lost or danced when i won, and the rest of the time was spent sweating over what i would encounter next. d2 has lots of hit points for characters and very powerful spells, but after playing the way bg2 is balanced, i dont like the way d2 was balanced. i was constantly looking for items that were only slightly better then what i had, and the interesting, unique items where a little too rare and usually didnt have much of an advantage over the normal items in combat. in bg2 when you find a better item, it is usually radically better then what you have, and at times necessary that you have an item of a serton quality. true, there is not as great a range for item stats in bg2, but i kinda like finding a sword that just kicks ass compared to my old one, every time i found a replacement it was MUCH better then the last. and lets not even compare the plot, i mean come on, WHAT plot does diablo 2 have? the same 3 monkey who wrote the script to Scream 3 could do a better job.

final verdict: d2 is all action and no meat, i will continue to play bg2 for a VERY long time...

Old 12-07-2000, 03:38 AM   #7
antaren420

ack, i'm sorry, focus and stay on topic.....

um, if the characters followed the ad&d rules then i would have to say the spellcasters in bg2 would have it over the spellcasters in d2, since i would just chaos and powerword death any d2 character that went around saying 'i can kill any bg2 character, haha!'

however, i'd say the barbarian in d2 is a very mean character, with that wirlewind attack. if the characters followed the realtime flow of d2, most bg2 characters would have been hard pressed to keep up with the d2 characters, but of coarse the character classes between the games have been tweaked for very differant rules. still, i'd like to see a bg2 mage cast spells as fast as the sorceress, can you imagine the havic a mage would wreck if it was constantly casting symble of death? i dont think iron maiden works on spells that just kill you without doing damage...