Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-22-2000, 03:58 PM   #1
Arithor

I am pretty new to Baldur's Gate 2, and am currently in chapter 2.
There are many NPC's to choose from already, and I already wonder which ones I should keep in my party. I don't think I'll play the game more then once also, so I want the most interesting group. I myself play a fighter.

I am more interested in which NPC's are fun to have around, and have an detailled story-line, and side-quests, then which NPC's are the best.

For one thing, I really hate Jaheira. So much that I almost wanted to wave my private parts in her auntie's general direction! (couldn't resist saying this...watched to much of Monty Python lately).
In BG1 Jaheira had an little 'accident', when she accidently charged 150 skeletons and lost, but now the whining kanigget is back again...

To get to some point, is she very important for the story-line, and for side quests?
Please give your opinion about her, if you have travelled longer with her then I did.

I think that Imoen is also important for the story, so I'll have to keep her around.

Nalia is new to my party, and she is very useful in my party. Simply because she is the best mage (I don't like Edwin).

Aerie is also very interesting with her skills, and even though she acts like a little child I think it might be interesting to keep her around.

Minsc is well...Minsc. Even if I would consider ditching him, I wouldn't like to fight someone with demi-god powers at the end without the strategic insight of Boo.
Boo must stay, so Minsc as well...

Yoshimo...interesting, would like him to stay in my party as long as possible.

Anomen...he seems boring at this point, and is a fake paladin...but I could use him at this point to replace Jaheira depending on replies.

Korgan...seems interesting, but don't really need another fighter. Already got Minsc and Boo to deal out melee damage with me. If he is interesting for character interaction, I shall keep him around though, maybe even in Yoshimo's place.

Keldorn...haven't met him yet, but I think a real paladin is more interesting then some sissy fighter/cleric named Anomen.

Please give your comments about these NPC's and others I haven't named, especially based on story-line and character-interaction.

Old 10-22-2000, 04:09 PM   #2
Viridi

keep Aerie, her healing spells are extremely useful, chant can help somewhat too... I'd also recommend Cernd, he could also replace Jaheira (He's a druid, much better then her too... and he can shapeshift to a werewolf...), you can find him in Trademeet... just go down to the dungeon (basement in the Mayors home, and free him... you have to complete the druid grove quest to keep him though

Old 10-22-2000, 04:16 PM   #3
Wallace

This is what I did personally...

After going through some of the game with my Paladin from BG1, I switched over to a fighter and did a multiplayer-single game so I can use some original characters...

In my personal party, I have 4 made up guys and 2 NPCs from the game... My made up guys include:

Lawernce Wallace: Fighter(5 prof. in Flail, 3 in sword and shield combo)

Kivan: Ranger-Archer(I loved this guy from BG1, needed a great archer, so figured why not... The Archer kit is totally killer.)

Kristine: Mage(I cant STAND having a neutral/good party... and the only good mage in the game is Edwin! Needed my own here...)

Alexander Kage: Theif(I never really liked Yoshimo... And Nalia was a HORRIBLE theif since she dueled to mage at level 4...)

Now... To your part

For my 2 NPCs, I switch around... I started with Minsc and Jaheria... and dropped Jaheria first chance I got and picked up Viconia(needed a good cleric... gave her a mace that got her strength to 18, so now she can wear good armour... Shes great). Before that though I picked up Nalia and did her quest(and took over the Stronghold). Then I dropped her for Viconia. After Umar and Windspear hills, I dropped Minsc(for the time being, I plan on getting him back) for Keldorn Firecam(give him the Holy Avenger and watch him go!) His Dexterity was low... but after throwing Gauntlets Of Dexterity on him and boom! I cleared out the Sightless Eye with him...

Aerie is kinda weak, didnt keep her past the Tent...

Never played Anomen...

Korgan is too... evil But if your evil aligned, Hes great.

Yoshi is your best theif choice unless you create one.

Minsc is good... But his low INT always gets him in trouble with Charm spells.

Anyways... hoped that helped a bit.

Old 10-23-2000, 05:37 AM   #4
Tcost

Trying to pick five NPCs to travel with your fighter? Here's what I would do, given the fact that you detest Jaheira so -- I like her, and will be keeping her myself).

Start with Nalia. At least one mage is indispensible, and she'll lead you to your stronghold. Once you have said stronghold, she has a number of follow-on subplots. Also, I find her combination of altruism and elitism amusing.

Minsc is just too much fun to leave out, and opens at least one major quest pathway for you. Minsc leads the pack in the favorite NPC poll by a margin as huge as Minsc himself. He's also an excellent tank, and at about the eleventh level he can start picking up extra healing spells for you.

You gotta have a healer, and in the absence of Jaheira, Aerie fills that bill well. Also, she becomes Minsc's Witch, and works well with him. Nalia seems to be friendly with her, too. If you put Aerie in armor she can't cast mage spells (although you can load her up with Identifies and so forth, keeping Nalia's spellbook completely free for combat spells) but she can fight reasonably well. Or, you can take her out of the armor and have her cast alongside Nalia, also a pretty good combo, provided that your sixth party member can melee.

You need a thief. Don't worry about Imoen for now and keep Yoshimo. He's the best thief among the NPCs, and Nalia, while a marvellous mage, is at best a mediocre thief. Yoshimo is also fun in terms of plot.

The last choice is the most difficult, as it should be. Jaheira does have a lot of plot connected to her, but I wouldn't be surprised if several of the others do too.

A lot of folks just love Viconia, and quite apart from the romantic element (and just being able to ogle that portrait) she does have a lot to recommend her. Like Aerie, she can make a good third fighter. I haven't gotten to the later chapters either, but considering that she was exiled from a Drow city, I imagine that there is plenty of subplot ahead for Viconia. You may have to work on keeping your reputation to no more than 18 with this option, though.

Give Keldorn Firecam the Holy Avenger and watch him go to town. Since I'm playing a paladin myself, I haven't recruited him, so I don't know about his plotlines.

Another possibility that I've heard strongly recommended is Mazzy, but I haven't met her yet.

I think overall that the way to go, absent Jaheira, is..
Minsc
Yoshimo
Aerie
Nalia
Viconia

Old 10-23-2000, 06:06 AM   #5
Sardonix

Being an Inquisitor, Keldorn is a great teammate, being able to dispel hold, confuse etc, and with a very good success rate (at twice his level). Go with him whatever you do!