Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2003, 02:25 PM   #11
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Awww! And I was only 5 numbers away from winning five millions last week.

Money is always welcome.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:12 PM   #12
Animal
Gold Dragon

I don't think there's anyone who would say they wouldn't want to win the lottery. I get a kick out of the people who say that it wouldn't change their lives, and they'd continue to work at the same job, etc, etc... That's complete crap. Money would change your life whether you wanted it to or not, it's the nature of the beast.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:23 PM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Most likely I'd pay for my wedding and the honeymoon, remodel my house, buy a new car and donate money to my church and various charities.

As for my job, you know I might just stay there or heck, you'd have room to shop around or just do volunteer work with 10 million even AFTER taxes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-03-2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 02-03-2003, 03:30 PM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

If I could win just $1million.

Pay off my law school loans.
Pay off my wife's law school loans.
Pay off my college loans.
Pay off all credit card bills.

With the 700K or so I had left I would invest 200K and use 500K to put a 50% down payment on a penthouse townhome in downtown Chi-town overlooking the lake.

Then, I'd be in debt 500K instead of 300K.

[ 02-03-2003, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 02-03-2003, 03:43 PM   #15
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I would buy lots of land, put a home right in the middle, and a fence all the way around the perimater of the property . Then I would buy everything for a music studio in my home, and then hire the best engineer to teach me everything. Then record music. My kids would have everything they need, including education, plus alot of what they want [img]smile.gif[/img] . I would invest the rest.
O-ya, I would buy an H2, loaded, and my wife what ever she wanted of course .
I could go on about the computer system I would have, but Im sure you could imagine!

One more thing, I would give Z, about 10,000 to keep this forum going for a long time. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #16
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hmmmm.....would I want to win the lottery.....let me think.....

YES!!!

Would it change me? Well of course not.
OK, Animal is most likely right. While I would like to think that it wouldn't change me at all....I'm sure I would change at least some.

However, I would keep my current job. It's relatively slow and easy paced - and group insurance is an absolute necessity with a chronic illness.

Still, I've lived all my life with just making ends meet, so I can't really see myself going on any major spending sprees. Yeah, I would pay off our house and maybe build a bigger one. I would also buy two new vehicles...but I wouldn't buy anything outrageous just because I could.

It is a statistical fact that most lottery winners have spent all of their money within 3 years. I would definitely try to overcome those odds.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:46 PM   #17
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I'd...bank all of it. I have absoloutly no need for cash atm. I'm 15, for heaven's sake!
I could probably live off the interest.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:02 PM   #18
SecretMaster
Apophis

I would want to win the lotto, but I'm many of us would be changed. And I meant like a big jackpot, not 10 million, I meant like the biggest jackpot ever.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:11 PM   #19
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:

Do you think there is really a diffrence between 20 million dollars and 30 million? I mean there really isnt a lot you cant buy with 20 million, so whats another 10..you know?
You've discovered the Law of diminishing marginal utility! 10 million is far more valuable and useful for someone with $50,000 than to someone who has $50,000,000.

I would definitely like to win, especially a really big jackpot. But not if it meant I had to waste $10 a week for years and years . I'm sure it would change me, I mean I would definitely want to be doing something, can't sit around all day doing nothing, but of course decisions would have to be made about how much work, and what.

I think people who lose it all and end up in worse off is because they don't plan and don't get good advice really. They spend spend spend without thinking, get shoddy financial advice and make risky, speculative investments, and buy really big houses/cars/boats/etc that require huge amounts of upkeep and taxes and so on. And I know the house bit at least wouldn't happen to me because I just don't get huge houses! What do people need with ballrooms and 15 bathrooms anyway?! All that dusting [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]

There was a couple a while back who won $500,000, which they deemed 'just enough to get you in trouble' - they realised it wasn't enough so they could stop working forever, so instead of investing it so they would have a lovely supplementary income and improve their standard of life, or put it aside for a great self-funded retirement, they bought 9 second-hand cars for all their relatives. And promptly ran out of money and half the cars broke down
Old 02-03-2003, 04:14 PM   #20
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
I don't think there's anyone who would say they wouldn't want to win the lottery. I get a kick out of the people who say that it wouldn't change their lives, and they'd continue to work at the same job, etc, etc... That's complete crap. Money would change your life whether you wanted it to or not, it's the nature of the beast.
Actually just last week the winner of an $87 million dollar jackpot here in California said if she can find were she put the ticket she is going to give the money to charity.