Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2002, 07:10 AM   #51
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Just another little sign of how alarmingly believable those figures were.
Last night I was chatting to a friend, and someone we knew had been raped for the second time.
Sad, isn't it?
Old 07-24-2002, 11:41 AM   #52
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Good point Melusine. I think for "normal" thinking guys it's just not done. Normally it doesn't take much for a guy to overpower a woman, so i think most guys considder this just not a very manly thing to do. You know what happens to rapists in prison right ? They have to be separated from the rest because they will get killed.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:53 AM   #53
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
--------

andrewas, to maintain a 1:20 rape ratio in the population, there has to be an average of 1:20 rapes per year, considering births, deaths, aging and all.

--------
Statistics isnt your stong point is it? If 5% of women were raped every year, then the percentage of women who have been raped would be somewhere around 98%. Maybe higher.

To keep the ratio at 5%, there are between 1:400 and 1:1200 rapes per year, cosidering births, death aging and all. I could be more accurate but im working with estimates here. These figures are still shocking - higher than i thought - but believable.

In any case the exact figures dont matter - there is no "acceptable" level of rape - one is one to many. And, unless someone has a method of ensuring a re-offence rate of zero, one rapist is one too many.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:16 PM   #54
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well Melusine, to me rape is just the most horrific crime a guy can commit, because I know I'm terrified it might happen to some one I know, my friend, my sister or cousin. The idea of someone abusing them or hurting them not only terrifies me but also makes me furious, call it what you want, I think it as something to do with caring...
Old 07-24-2002, 01:37 PM   #55
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
You know what happens to rapists in prison right? They have to be separated from the rest because they will get killed.
In that case I say..... Don't seperate them from the others [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]

I could care less if scum like that was ripped limb from limb or stabbed to death.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:41 PM   #56
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
You know what happens to rapists in prison right? They have to be separated from the rest because they will get killed.
In that case I say..... Don't seperate them from the others [img]graemlins/firedevil.gif[/img]

I could care less if scum like that was ripped limb from limb or stabbed to death.
[/QUOTE]I'm not saying that most are, but some accused rapists ARE innocent, Neb.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:48 PM   #57
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
Well Melusine, to me rape is just the most horrific crime a guy can commit, because I know I'm terrified it might happen to some one I know, my friend, my sister or cousin. The idea of someone abusing them or hurting them not only terrifies me but also makes me furious, call it what you want, I think it as something to do with caring...
That's a good explanation Jorath, thanks! It's certainly true that a lot of people would rather suffer pain themselves than see their loved ones suffer, so in that respect it does explain why men seem to react more strongly on this subject...
Although I would beg to differ that it really *is* better to be raped than to have a loved one raped, I can see why people would react like that.