Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2001, 11:54 PM   #1
txporter

I am curious if anyone else has had the same problem. I have only been playing W&W for a little while now, but it seems to be very similar to the Might & Magic series. The first few levels, I would save before passing levels and then reload to get the best hit point/skill points for the level. Most of my group is now passing on to Level 4 and all of the member only get 1 hit point when passing, no matter how many times I try. Has anyone else had this happen?

Jason Porter
Old 02-14-2001, 12:45 AM   #2
Sean Mc.

Hey,

It's not just you..happens often, it's supposed to be a random roll..but I think it's pretty darn low as well. One of the advice threads here suggested saving your game right before leveling up, then if you don't like what was "rolled" you can quit and reload. My computer is too slow (or more likely I'm too impatient,) to do that. To be honest though..the game is more than fair..and when you get to the higher levels there's not much out there that can cause you any real grief.

Cheers
Old 02-14-2001, 12:48 AM   #3
Moni

This is very common for it to become tougher as you go along. Alot depends on race and fortitude.
I quit trying at level 7 when the 1's were endless and allowed the game to use the "catch up" system it has for bringing characters up to normal hit points levels in later levels.
The catch up system works if you can live with actually saving after getting only one hit point LOL!
Remember though that when you ascend into a new role that your character will get only one hit point and no bonus points for skills until the passing the level they were when they changed roles.
So, keeping that in mind, when you have faith in the catch up system and will accept one hit point per level, make sure you get 2 or three bonus points for skills. ; )
: )
Moni
Old 02-14-2001, 08:14 PM   #4
txporter

Thanks for the replies. I am glad to know that I am not the only seeing this. I'll just make sure that I get the bonus points!

Jason Porter
Old 02-16-2001, 01:46 AM   #5
Severian

W&W uses an odd method for calculating HP (which depends on role, fortitude and level). Basically it recalculates your HP each level and compares the result to your current value. The result is that you often will only get a single HP (presumably because its equal or less to the new total) but other times lots. For example, I just finished playing a "solo" game and my character got as much as 43 hp for a single level ! At the end of the game the character had about 360 hp ! Obviously for a 6 member party the hp per character will much less...
For information the solo character ended up as a
10th wizard/10th level warlock/10th level paladin/12th level ranger/11th level ninja/
45th level assassin/17th level zenmaster
(all stats were 24 except for a presence of 22)
Old 05-12-2001, 03:56 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

topside for Cgrant -

Cgrant - a related hint if you are NOT running the patch - cast toughen on your characters just before entering town. The toughen icon will disappear, but your characters will still have the additional hit points! (a nice perk!)

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 12:47 AM   #7
Cgrant
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wyvern--nuts. am patched. still, if I accidentally win the lottery and so can get a new computer, I'll remember that when I reinstall. sigh.
Cgrant is offline   Reply With Quote