Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 10-24-2001, 11:50 PM   #1
Newbie2001
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ok...i found a wisdom tome and was wondering if it would benefit my mage or my cleric more. I have yeslick and dyanhier (sp?) and when i used the wisdom tome it seemed to give yeslick and extra space for the 3rd level spell and did nothing for dyanheir...or at least i couldn't find any change.

Also...i don't have the manual so i was wondering what "lore" was and what it did.

Thanx for any help.
Newbie2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 01:04 AM   #2
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Wisdom is the 'prime requisite' ability for priests, i.e., clerics and druids. So those two classes will benefit most from a wisdom tome. Intelligence is the prime requisite of mages. They benefit the most from tomes of intelligence.

Lore is the ability to naturally identify an unidentified item without casting a spell or using an identify scroll. The higher the lore, the greater the ability to identify. Bonuses (and penalties) to lore are dependent on wisdom and intelligence, both. Such bonuses are however not cummulative with each level up; they are applied only once at character creation, so tomes do not affect lore.
Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 01:07 AM   #3
Newbie2001
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanx for the informative info.

Newbie2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 04:17 AM   #4
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Is there anything known about a tome of intelligence in BG1 ?
I found by now a tome of sthenght, constitution, 2x wisdom and charisma...
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 01:54 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

There's actually one of each tome, plus an additional Wisdom tome. There is also a THIRD Book of Wisdom, but it's only in ToSC. I'm not saying where--I still rankle a bit from when I accidentally read the location of the Helm of Balduran, as I would have MUCH preferred finding it for myself.

Good strategy: Go EVERYwhere, do EVERYthing, look in EVERY nook and cranny.

------------------
Boots of Stealth: 1125 gp
Shadow Armor: 7875 gp
Slipping an Oil of Firey Burning down the back of Sarevok's armor: Priceless
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 02:10 PM   #6
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
There's actually one of each tome, plus an additional Wisdom tome. There is also a THIRD Book of Wisdom, but it's only in ToSC. I'm not saying where--I still rankle a bit from when I accidentally read the location of the Helm of Balduran, as I would have MUCH preferred finding it for myself.

And I'm still kind of upset about reading a giant BG2 spoiler by accident - somebody marked it as a spoiler but didn't say it was BG2! I forgot the name, I suppose for most of us marking something as SPOILER is enough, but this is the BG1 forum! So, THINK before you spoil!
I think I missed many of the tomes, only found three or so.

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Saint of the SoS
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Once Upon A Paper Writer's Forum
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 02:48 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You know, I wouldn't consider it a spoiler to just list the earliest chapter in which each Book could be found--at least that way, you'll know whether you've actually missed something, or just haven't gotten to it yet.

Strength: Chapter 6
Dexterity: Chapter 5
Constitution: Chapter 1 (tough to get, though--I wouldn't go after it until Chap. 4 or so)
Intelligence: Chapter 5
Wisdom (1): Chapter 5
Wisdom (2): Chapter 6
Wisdom (3): ToSC
Charisma: Chapter 3
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 08:28 PM   #8
pBluescript
Dungeon Master

Yah, I found a bunch of tomes while playing the game. Would pick them up, put them in the quick item slot, leave them alone, click them, all sorts of stuff and nothing ever happened. The books never disappeared, I never gained any attribute point, nothing. I wound up selling them for gold.

What did I do wrong?
pBluescript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 10:00 PM   #9
Eric the Red
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yah, I found a bunch of tomes while playing the game. Would pick them up, put them in the quick item slot, leave them alone, click them, all sorts of stuff and nothing ever happened. The books never disappeared, I never gained any attribute point, nothing. I wound up selling them for gold.
What did I do wrong?

i dont have much experience as the rest of these guys but when i picked up my charisma tome, it was as easy as putting it in the quick item slot of the person you wanted to have the stat raise, and clicking it once just like youd click anything else in there, and it added a charisma point to my charisma, so all ya can do is try that, and if ya still playing that same game, go back and buy the tomes you sold to the shopkeeper, and try it again, hope that helped
Eric the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 10:02 PM   #10
Eric the Red
Elite Waterdeep Guard

sorry about above post, only just saw then how to post a quote from another person after i posted hehe
Eric the Red is offline   Reply With Quote