Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-08-2001, 01:17 PM   #11
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Father, you cannot let a mage cast stoneskin on another except themselves. The same thing goes with fire shield. A kensai/mage can do this. And the swashbuckler definately don't get as good THACO as a kensai, far from it. The thieves get THACO bonuses every 3 levels compared to the fighters that get THACO bonuses EVERY levels.
Old 02-08-2001, 01:36 PM   #12
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Sorry I was unclear. I meant that I would prefer to play a Swashbuckler/Mage over a Kensai/Mage. I know that a Mage can only cast Stoneskin and Fireshield on him/herself. And yes, the THACO bonuses would definitely be a Kensai advantage.

I was just suggesting that a Swashbuckler/Mage casting Tenser's Transformation on him/herself would improve his/her THACO, probably not to the level of a Kensai/Mage, but respectable enough to think about as an alternative (especially when the Swashbuckler/Mage can wear Bracer's AC3).
Old 02-08-2001, 05:48 PM   #13
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Okey. I see what you mean. I agree that this is a good thief/mage combo. The tenser transformation spell (and some others) makes the swashbuckler a real killer.

The fighter/mage combo is more powerful, though (you have to agree with me on this one). The kensai/mage can't wear bracers, but it will do decent damage, so this is still better than swashbuckler/mage if you leave out the thief-skills.
Old 02-10-2001, 04:41 PM   #14
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I have played a little bit with my 4-member party, and started to compare my kensai/thief from my previous party and my new elven fighter/thief. It seems that the kensai deals out more damage, even though it doesn't show in the statistics. How else would you explain my kensai/thief doing about 20 more damage every time he backstabbed, compared to my elf fighter/thief with 18/00 in strength. Yes, I have taken under consideration that the multiclassed fighter/thief cannot be more than specialized in weapons, the two thieves are at the same levels, and have weapons doing same amount of damage. I am really disapointed with the elf's backstab. He does measly 30-90 damage/backstab (x4), compared to my kensai/thief that could do 48-202 (x4), without any magics or items, except the weapon, of course

In my new 4-member party, I also have a kensai/mage and a berserker/mage. They are both level 9 as fighters, but the kensai deals out more damage than the berserker, even though the berserker has 18/00 in strength compared to the kensai's 18/64. The statistics show that the berserker should be better dealing out damage, but it doesn't seem like that. I am very confused right now. Is the kensai the best fighter or a mediocre fighter???
Old 02-10-2001, 05:09 PM   #15
Rikard_OHF
Beholder

advantages of a kensai

+1 to hit and +1 damage for every three levels.
-2 bonus to AC.
-1 bonus to speed factor for every 4 levels.
May use Kai ability one time per day for every 4 levels (starts at 1st level with one use). This ability lasts 10 seconds and makes all the attacks do maximum damage.

El_kalkylus

i guess your kensai thief is about level 12-15 from his 4x backstab
that mean +3 to hit and +3 to damage
that times for is a extra of +12 per backstab
in your case
well prof's may differ or you may have had a critical hit

advatages of a barbarian

They move at 2 points faster than the usual character.
Barbarians are immune to backstab.
Can Rage once per day for every 4 levels (starts at 1st level with one use). Rage gives them +4 to constitution and strength for 5 rounds. Gives a -2 armor class penalty and +2 to saves vs. magic (for 5 rounds). Rage also gives immunity to all charm, hold, fear, maze, confusion and level-drain spells.
At 11th level, the barbarian gains 10% resistance to slashing, piercing, crushing and missile damage. He gains +5% to this every 4 levels thereafter.
The barbarian rolls d12 for hit points instead of a fighter's d10.

nowhere does a barbarian get to hit bonusses or damage bonusses
this information is not to be found in the manual i do realise that
BUT upon creation you get some extra info about a character you should really check that out
or go to [url] www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2
Old 02-10-2001, 05:38 PM   #16
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I have played the game with a kensai/thief, and I remember that I got 202 in the beginning (critical hit), when I had x4-backstabs. I know about the bonuses the kensai is "supposed" to get, (it doesn't show). You are probably right though, +12 more damage is quite a lot. I wonder why "they" haven't added the strength bonuses with the kensai bonuses, because, I should get +6 to hit and +9 damage as a level 10 kensai with 18/00 in strength, but instead it shows +3 to hit and +6 to damage. I think the kensai gets it's bonuses but it doesn't show in the statistics.

Of course I know all this information about the barbarian etc. I have a file where I check the classes upon creation (by Dan Simpson). I am just a little frustrated that the bonuses doesn't show in the game.

By the way, you get x5 backstab at level 13. (every 4 levels, and stops at level 13 unless you are an assassin, or so I have heard)
Old 02-10-2001, 05:43 PM   #17
Rikard_OHF
Beholder

I forgot that you get 2x backstab in the beginning
instead of no bonus
assassins got up to 9x backstab and higher
Old 02-10-2001, 05:52 PM   #18
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

yes, but do you understand me? Do you see now what my point is??
Old 02-11-2001, 06:36 PM   #19
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

The bonus doesn't show
Old 02-12-2001, 12:15 AM   #20
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it just me?