Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-06-2001, 09:53 PM   #1
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

The kensai is spoken of as the next best or best fighter in the game. I compared a level 8 berserker with a level 8 kensai, and they do the same damage, and have the same "to hit".

Is this just in the beginning because of the bonus you get from high strength? I mean, my level 8 kensai has +3 to hit and +6 to damage, which is the same as my level 8 berserker or ranger has because of the 18/00 in strength. The three classes also have the same THACO and the same number of attacks (depending on proficiency points). Where does it say that the kensai does more damage??? The kensai is supposed to get +1 to hit and +1 to damage every 3 levels, but my a level 8 kensai has no such bonus. Is this a bug, or is it because the strength bonuses takes over the kensai's bonuses? In that case when the kensai is at a higher level it will pass the strength bonuses and then you can see the difference. I have always just taken others word for it that the kensai is great in dealing out damage, but now I am beginning to wonder if it is such a big difference between a regular fighter and the kensai.

Another thing that has bothered me, is that the elf is supposed to get a bonus with a sword or a bow, but I don't see what this bonus is when I check my elf. Does anyone know?
Old 02-06-2001, 10:00 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

People like Kensai for their special ability "Kai", which allow them to deal max damage in a short period of time. Personally, the fact that they cannot wearing any armor (and gaunlets) really bothers me, I rather have a berserker with the same stats. As for elves' bonus......I don't recall seeing that on the BGII booklet that came along with the game.
Old 02-06-2001, 10:22 PM   #3
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, the kai-ability is great, but that can't be the reason why people think the kensai is so great. The kensai is supposed to have bonuses in dealing out damage, which seems like almost nothing to me. The berserker ability is also great, so you might as well pick a berserker and wear armor.

The kai-ability was great for my kensai/thief, because then you never did anything less than 90 damage when you backstabbed, so this is still a good thief-combo.
Old 02-06-2001, 10:26 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

My thoughts exactly, el_kalkylus. Both Kensai and Berserker are melee combatants, enrage gives you a better chance fighting against some of the nasties in the game. Btw, just curious, can you kill Kangaxx the demi lich version with a backstab (with or without Kai), say with a sword like cut-throat?
Old 02-06-2001, 10:47 PM   #5
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I don't really know, because I switched to mace of disruption +2 when demi-kangaxx came. I didn't have a +4 longsword or katana or short sword. But I don't think it is possible to backstab him if you do have it.
Old 02-07-2001, 01:16 AM   #6
G.W.

As there's not a single +4 long sword or katana in the game so you're out of luck on trying to backstab (or back of the skull stab in this case). Strangely the bloody daystar counts as a +2 weapon to hit. More undiscovered bugs no doubt.

I don't think so highly of the kensai. Of course, I think the ideal fighter-mage is the pure one, because of the Thuigan's bow (or I should say, the insta-debuff bow). but Kensai are good because you get the amulet of shielding (which casts ghost armor), useful only to Kensai, and it has plenty of charges. Soon after you get stone skin (and probably have the cash for a good robe) and then it's smooth sailing when it comes to melee.

Old 02-07-2001, 02:16 PM   #7
Hesperex

I think whats great about a kensai is the fact that my m8s level 18 kensai dual wielding katanas had about 7 atacks per round when he finished the game and was so damn fast that my poor and rather damn solid level 16 paladin couldn't get a cut in edgeways when they fort. Even with Carsomyer

Old 02-08-2001, 12:45 AM   #8
G.W.

Yeah, the beserker would have the same number of attacks.

Old 02-08-2001, 06:59 AM   #9
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

So what you are saying Herperex, is that you get more attacks with a kensai at high levels? I don't believe that the kensai get's 7 attacks at level 18. The reason you get 7 attacks is that your kensai is wearing boot of speeds. You should have gotten 8 attacks, because I had 4 attacks at level 9 with my kensai, and had downloaded the patch that gives you an extra attack if you are a grand master in a weapon.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:06 AM   #10
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I think part of the appeal is what has been mentioned above. However, don't forget that casting Stoneskin and Fireshield are two very effective ways to buff up the Kensai. I personally like the Swashbuckler (gets similar THACO and AC bonuses), but the fighter to hit table is much better than that of the thief.

I suppose a Swashbuckler/Mage using Tenser's Transformation would do well.