Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2002, 04:48 AM   #1
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

when you attack the leader of the guild Aran something or other a thief comes out and backstabs you

is it possible to survive this attack?
Old 04-13-2002, 04:58 AM   #2
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

No Not without Cheating ..... the only way is to have the Belt of Imoen on
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

there was a post a little while back about this. search for it.
He is pretty much invincible, and will kill you instantly unless you can withstand 50000+ damage per round or so. even worse, he continually spawns unless you have installed the Baldurdash patch preventing it.

Soooooo......leave Aran and Renal alone.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:08 PM   #4
Machiel Coolridge
Welcomed New User

Hey, I think he does 1500 dmg a round or something and always hits. I didn't much appreciate it either... but you never know. Maybe if your main character can put prot. from normal weapons (or enchanted?) + prot. from missle weapons and X spell (insert spell of choice here) in a Spell Trigger or Contingency spell then maybe he can survive and do the guy some damage? I don't know.

If this character follows suit with other "suggest you don't do that, son, upon penalty of butt-whomping" types of RPG mechanisms I have seen that keep your character from making decisions that could ruin the game or story, then there won't be anything at all you can do about that super assassin. Maybe they should have put a side story in there about how this super assassin left Mal'Vaer after he gets found out --because it doesn't make any sense that he doesn't come around again after the... oh well I won't spoil it for you.

I don't know why they do that though really. I guess it would have been a hell of a lot more work if they let you kill him and then you would have had the Shadow Thieves after you becuase you didn't have proper evidence when you did it! Know what I mean?

Hell, I didn't like that fella that ran the Copper Coronet even before I did the Slaver Quest so I murdered him in the name of goodness on day one. Damn near the whole bar turned against me, but I just kept killing them as they came. I went with that and everything worked out just fine. The barkeep took over the bar until I did the Slaver Quest and I made my escape out of the Slums and didn't come back for awhile When I went back in people were friendly (green circled) again. Course, there weren't many people left
PLUS, I got some great stuff from killing that guy. Lots of needed gold for so early in the game and some decent equipment. Oh yeah those were the days...

[ 04-15-2002, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Machiel Coolridge ]
Machiel Coolridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 03:46 PM   #5
Krishach
Drow Warrior

That's odd... I was sided with Aran Linvail and one day I went to talk to him and decided I wanted to know why his armor was green. A few seconds later, him and his guards are checking out the floor and I'm checking out his gear. No guard came and backstabbed me. And no, I didn't use any cheats.
Old 04-15-2002, 05:14 PM   #6
Wedin

Quote:
Originally posted by Krishach:
That's odd... I was sided with Aran Linvail and one day I went to talk to him and decided I wanted to know why his armor was green. A few seconds later, him and his guards are checking out the floor and I'm checking out his gear. No guard came and backstabbed me. And no, I didn't use any cheats.
Soo... why did he have green armour? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #7
SecretMaster
Apophis

He wears green armor cuz its elven chain. And why don't they use that guy to kill (SPOILER) Bodhi and crew along with Jonny BOy?
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 09:39 PM   #8
Deathcow
Elminster

weeeell

he's just there to prevent you from getting yourself stuck in act2, because if the shadow thieves get mad at you and try to kill you, they won't help you get to chapter 3, and bodhi won't help you because you smell like a shadow thief....they put him there to keep you from being stuck...and to slap you for trying to turn on the shadow thieves when youre working for them, i suppose

you get to kill him if you side with bodhi, he is helping to protect the shipment you are supposed to steal...and hes an easy kill then [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-15-2002, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Deathcow ]
Deathcow is offline   Reply With Quote