Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 04-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
fegyverb
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Since Party order cannot be changed mid-game, what order do you put
your characters in, and more importantly, why. Given the number of
fake/short walks used and the death of monsters during combat it is
likely that your 1st character(s) would get 10-20% (or more?) attacks
than your last character(s)(at least in this phase)and thus develop
more quickly or effectively. I'm sure it's no coincidence that any
NPC's used take the #1 and #2 slots as they are usually behind in
development. Of the following factors below which are the most
important.
1) Magic vs Might - which goes ahead
2) Type of Party - i.e. does more magic/melee change the order
3) Character Development - Do you try to put harder to develop
characters ahead of others?
4) Critical Hit vs Damage
5) Long Range vs Short range
6) Initiative - Do you put slower characters ahead to compensate?
7) Type of Magic(User)- Which goes ahead?
8) Other factors - e.g. Favorite Characters

Again, it's the why I'm looking for.
fegyverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I do tend to put a slower melee charactor in the first slot and one that does not have insta-kill skill, so a lord, valk or fighter. If I put a Sam or Rogue there they do tend to get more attacks because of speed and positioning. When you do the fake walk and they get the first attacks a lot of times there is not an opponent left for the number 2 and 3 guys. I will move them around the party formation to get some charactors more melee chances if I have one or two that seem to be falling behind. If I want to build a fighters skill in mace and flail or axes and they have been using swords most of the game I just go to the monestary and put two week weapons in his hand, leave him at the front of the formation and let him go at some of those matallic slimes. Skills improve pretty fast .

I will have the casters who go first cast protection spells so the later ones can get some practice also. So I useually have my priest in the 4 or 5 slot and a mage in the 6 spot.

My typical 6 man party would be

Fighter
Rogue
Ranger
gadgeteer
Priest
Mage

I might swap the Ranger for a bard or the rogue for a sam and lord for a fighter but that is usually the way it goes. With the fighters low stats in int, sens he has a hard time raising stats in close combat and duel weapons so they need the most chances.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
fegyverb
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Doesn't having the mage go last kinda waste range attacks as the fighters generally target one critter instead of picking off more of the wounded
Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

if you work senses and int then speed the mage will useually go first unless you do the fake walk and if you do that then just have him cast a spell that would go off even with no enemy around if you think you will kill them off before hand. The mage and pries will get enough practice casting out of combat spells anyway so it isn't too big of a deal.

Also if you do a fake walk when it comes time to walk you can have your front line guys target different creatures so they don't gang up on the same one just by choosing them and then choosing a target before you start your "walk"
Old 04-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I've been playing again for about a month now. I never take more than 3 in my party. I only play on normal difficulty though. I also usually take the same the classes.

I'm doing 3 Samurai right now and as always, they totally suck. I've never had a good Samurai.

My last party was a Lord, Valkerie and a Fighter. I put the Lord anf Fighter in ther front and the Valkerie in the bck with a polearm. It was one of the best parties ever.

I hate the Ninja too, but maybe I'll try them again.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
Target
Red Dragon

For some reason I seem to put my 'tanks' up front, (If I have them) fighters, lords, rogues, then I put Monks, Sams, BArds, Gadgs, then Rangers. Then the magic classes, with usually the Mage last. I don't know why I do that, just habbit I think. Going back to really old RPGs where you couldn't move your party round so I needed tanks up front.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:59 AM   #7
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Currently I put a gadgy ( sword) and a bard ( sword, dagger ) in the middle. Left side : valkyrie ( polearm ), right side ninja ( staff&wand ). In melee valkyrie and ninja can reach most enemy with their extended weapons.
In the back I put my bishop and mage.

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Fighter (sword,mace) and Samurai (sword,sword) in middle.

Ninja (martial art) and Ranger (polearm) at left/right.

Gadgeteer (staff,gadgets) and Priest (bullwhip/long range mace) at the back.

RFS (martial art) and Vi (polearm) at left/right.

As you can see, my party is a heavy melee type.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
fegyverb
Elite Waterdeep Guard

For Loudhy and Kakero. I'm sorry I did not post more clearly. It is NOT your formation I was interested in. Rather, when you start a new game I wanted to know what order your party is in and why. e.g. top left character, top right etc.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
fegyverb
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the reply Target. I'm trying something similar except I've put the mage first to give me the option of using offensive magic first with the rest doing cleanup. Like you I put the ranger almost last to give him a better chance to use long range if the front monsters are killed during battle.