Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
bladedog
Dungeon Master

Good day to you all.

Using Flames mod I want to try some classes I've never used or quite gotten to grips with before.

I want to try Ninja, Alchemist, and Gadgie which I've never had before, plus a Lord which I've started twice but dumped quickly, plus a ranger and maybe monk or samurai which have featured before.

My question is what race to make them:

I figure:

RAN Mook
GAD Hobbit
ALC Elf or Faerie
LOR Dracon or Human
MON or
SAM ?????
NIN ?????

I've never had a Mook, which will make the Ranger a new character this time.

Dracon for the Lord seems like the default. Is it the best?

And I've no idea who to go with for the Monk/Samurai and the Ninja.

Any comments greatly appreciated.
bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

I've always liked Mooks as Rangers (or Psionics). Any game where a Ranger was in the group, it was a Mook.

Monks I didn't do too often, but they were usually kitty monks, which worked out well.

If you want to use the CoC, take a Faerie Ninja. Otherwise, I found that humans were okay in this class.

Lords were disappointing for me, but I understand that Flame's mod has some nice items for them, so they might be worth doing now. Mine were human.

As for Samurai, I liked kitties for them, too.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

I'd go Felpurr for Ninja and Samurai. A Felpurr Ninja is a joy with Flame's mod. Felpurrs have the best misc items as well once you meet Bela.

I like Dwarf Lords but I understand from other people Humans have better starting attributes to allocate beginning points to? Whatever you do also make sure the Lord has 90 in STR, a Mace skill of 50 and an Artefacts skill of 35 (I think) so they can use the best weapon in the game. Also, there's a complete set of Lord armour later in the game which almost makes the Lord superhuman.

Alchemists can wear the better armours so would go for Elf rather than Faerie.

I too like Mook Rangers and Hobbit Gadgeteer is fine.

Humans probably make the best Monks but, once again, I like Dwarf Monks. Dwarves and Monks in general have damage resistance as they increase levels. But if you have a Dwarf Monk these are cumulative (if that's the right word for it) so have even better damage resistance. Only snag is that you have to apprentice the Dwarf Monk for 4 levels before you can start adding points to attributes but it's still worth it to go Dwarf IMHO.

Finally, there's an awesome ranged modern weapon in the game which needs 85 in SEN. This should be achievable for either your Ranger or Gadgeteer though. Can't remember what other requirements it needs though.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

For Monk or Ninja, i usually play humans. They need that many different stats, and humans are well-balanced.

My samurai are usually Hobbits, or sometimes Felpur.

Since you want only one true spellcaster, fairy is a good choice. Their spell point regeneration isn't very useful if you have other casters without regereration.

Note: I didn't use the mod, so maybe my info is outdated.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
SpitBall
The Magister

No psionic. I have my first ever Psionic in the current party - a fairy Psionic - and I like him just fine. Better than any old Lord I have ever played. He deals the most damage of any spellcaster in the party and his antagonizing spells are very effective.
SpitBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
bladedog
Dungeon Master

OK well thanks for your input.

On the Lord, I agree they never quite live up to expectation, but in my head I have to believe they are worth having.

So I am going:

SAM Hobbit
NIN Human
LOR Human
RAN Mook
ALC Elf
PSI Mook

I never would have considered a hobbit samurai, and I never intended to have a Psionic but I#ll give it a bash.

The gadgie can wait!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

My fave Lord has always been Rawulf.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:09 AM   #8
Griefmaker
The Magister

Give your Mook Ranger a good bow, with good arrows, good ranged attack, and good senses--and you have a killing machine!

At around level 10, my mook ranger was instant killing one enemy per fight! She was awesome!

Is a big burley enemy beating the tar out of your party? Let the ranger take it down with one arrow. Is another huge group of enemies making their way towards you to make your life miserable? Let the ranger thin out the ranks a bit.

In my opinion, a ranger is almost always a must with my group, not just for the ranged instant kills, but also since I often use the ranger as a mythology expert (it always makes sense to me from a role playing aspect to have an outdoors person be an expert on monsters).

Other than that, your party looks like it will be fun! I also agree that the gagie can take a backseat. They are fun and can wreak some serious havoc to enemies before they get to you, but I prefer to use a ranger if I am going to have a ranged fighter.

Anyway, have fun!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
SpitBall
The Magister

Griefmaker: I am confused by one statement that you made - IF you intend to have a ranged fighter? Why "IF"? Between slings and bows - every character can be a ranged fighter. Granted, the spell-casters and technicians will not fight every round because they also "train" for magick and other skills, but by lvls 10+ pretty much every character should be able to hit just about any target at range. There are encounters where the Psionic Fairy hits for more damage with his Impaling Stones than the Samurai can manage with a Boomerang Shuriken. For my money - ranged weapons are too powerful to restrict to one or two characters.
SpitBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:33 AM   #10
bladedog
Dungeon Master

Thanks guys, this party is great.

After understanding that SEN played a part in dual weapons skill and so using a Hobbit Lord rather than a rawulf or dracon has made a massive difference. He hits most rounds with both weapons, rather than spending all day missing like the previous two tries I've had.

My front line (LOR/SAM/NIN) all have two attacks each right from the start so they are doing really well.

Thanks for the Mook ranger advice. She's only level 5 but has 6 criticals to her name already.

The ALC and PSI I had never even tried but they are really good. The ALC's armour etc. is a bonus and the PSI has some excellent spells. Psionic fire at 5th level seems to be so much better than the equivalent Mage spells. I may never use a Mage again.

I think the wierdest thing about this party is that my primary spell casters level up quicker than anyone else!!!!!!

Thanks again.