Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-11-2001, 05:15 PM   #1
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Im getting Windows XP soon, and im gonna install Linux too in another partition, so my question is:

Which OS of them should i use for internet ?? Usual tasks when im connected are: internet browsing, mail checking, msn messenger (i suppose this wont work under Linux,thats a major negative point), and IRC.

I will also play online, but i suppose most games wont run under Linux so...

------------------
"Captive, captive... captive in heaven" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Old 10-11-2001, 11:51 PM   #2
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
Im getting Windows XP soon, and im gonna install Linux too in another partition, so my question is:

Which OS of them should i use for internet ?? Usual tasks when im connected are: internet browsing, mail checking, msn messenger (i suppose this wont work under Linux,thats a major negative point), and IRC.

I personally havent used any myself but some of my friends have and from what I have seen and what they have told me Windows XP is really good for internet stuff like that.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
Old 10-12-2001, 12:06 AM   #3
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:

I have severe problems with an operating system that makes you 're-register' if you replace some hardware in your machine.. that is going to be a pain for many techs fixing PC's... I don't know.. I may use it in a few years.. I am still using Windows 98 (non-se). And it's fine. I'll never use Windows Me, or Win2000, so maybe once they patch the OS a few times, I may upgrade.. How much does XP cost (Not the upgrade, but a full version) ?

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 10-12-2001, 12:19 PM   #4
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Im testing Windows XP right now, and it seems to work great, specially for internet stuff. Ive never connected so fast using my sh*tty 56k modem, and everything seems to go smoothly, though i dont like the new interface, its childish, like cartoon .

------------------
"Captive, captive... captive in heaven" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Old 10-12-2001, 03:17 PM   #5
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Are you using a full vertion of XP? or the beta vertion that came out earlyer this year. Because i was under the impression that Windows XP wasn't out yeat don't know why though.

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB