Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
garrison
Manshoon

Default as seen in the Waterdhavian Post...

Ye Classified Section

Quote:
Wanted:
Morally ambiguous thrill-seekers for subterranean expedition, Waterdeep vacinity. Exciting opportunity for multi-cultural enrichment. All positions open. No experience necessary. Ideal for recent grads and retirees. Barrister on premises. Apply at the Yawning Portal Inn-- ask for Vigo.
garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
bipolarbear
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Re: as seen in the Waterdhavian Post...

I'm in. As soon as my computer is finished being built (should be sometime today), I'll be there.
bipolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I will hopefully be around this evening. If not then, then def. this weekend. If grouped I can bring the sorc or druid, without, look for Dunvallo.
Elif Godson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
garrison
Manshoon

I have a party of three new players who should be on Saturday night around eightish, but I've suggested they log on beforehand to check out Durnan's basement & the city.

I've been on way more than I should, feel free to IM/PM/E-mail me if you want to join up with a shadowdancer and I'm not on. Currently I'm on L7 trying to work my way down to the next teleport (L10?) with occasional breaks to check e-mail, throw wood on the fire, and ponder whether I should get work done. I hope it's cool to stay logged on when I break, I don't think I could make it otherwise.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
garrison
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elif Godson View Post
I will hopefully be around this evening.
I could have used you. The upper levels were a bit brutal for a single player but I managed to get through; today though, I spent the entire day fighting down from level three to get the next teleport key, only to be stopped dead on level eight. Roddy was little help (he died faster than I) and I finally gave up when I tried to get back to level seven and the game crashed. I'm thinking the lesson here is that single player EfU just isn't worth the punishment, unless you play some kind of juggernaut. I had at least hoped to end up with some better equipment but the best rogue gear I found was way back on level three.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Single player EFU is worth the effort, but requires a whole different mentality.

One way I used to get through level 8 solo (non-juggernaut method), was to take Krung's boots from level 2 to his wife, get the Shadow Dragon armour from her and use that as I hit level 8 (it has unlimited Imp Invis. spell attached). I could then wander through, opening chests etc on my way. Re-cast before it runs out and life is a stroll in the woods - literally. Much cheaper than buying spell scrolls but not very satisfying if you don't like the sneaky approach. Just remember either to not have a henchman with you or make them stand and wait at the entrance until you exit at the other end (they will rejoin you as you emerge on the next level). At this stage you should remember to make them follow you again or you may get frustrated as you realise they are 500 yards away and a dragon tries to eat you snack-style.

The only problem with the above method is that you cannot RPG this way as there is no way to justify knowing that you need to get Krung's armour, return it, not sell it etc.

I promise I will be back on soon and will try to party up (although I tend to head off-line as most of you guys come on), I've just been incredibly busy both at work and home recently and getting very little spare time to hit EFU.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
garrison
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unglaublich Verwustung View Post
The only problem with the above method is that you cannot RPG this way as there is no way to justify knowing that you need to get Krung's armour, return it, not sell it etc.
A night's rest has lightened my mood, but you have captured the crux of my criticism: a new solo player must commit a large block of time to fight, with neither map nor guide, from level three to ten, only to meet almost certain failure at level eight. Doing this once is a challenge, doing this two or more times seems like a design flaw to me. One true seeing ability and your invisibility would be as useless as my hiding in shadows (although I did sneak past many L8 baddies).

Would it be a terrible thing to put shadow armor in the store down there, a shortcut from the inn to the next level, or something to help juggernot's live to play again? I don't mean live as in respawn but rather as not being soured on the game from frustration. I like EfU enough that I will probably try the 'solo run' again but I doubt it will be soon. I am, however, eager for a multiplayer experience.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Level 8 is difficult.

If you do not have the equipment or the level to handle it then the way through is to run fast and avoid the attacks and spells.

Just so long as you don't run into the Malar Beast! That can be terminal.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
garrison
Manshoon

I meant to log on briefly today but I ran in to Wald, Daneth, and Sari who were very kind and not only invited me into their party but gave me a tour of some deeper levels. Traveling in a party is the best way to visit undermountain; with some new gear and experience, I might even last a bit longer solo. I'm glad there's such a welcoming community here. Thanks and I'll see you around.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #10
Elif Godson
Dracolich

sorry bud, time has given me the slip. I should be on this weekend though.