Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Okay, I'm looking to buy a new pair of sunglasses, right? So I'm wondering: should I buy a pair of expensive Oakleys? Are they really the best kind? Also, what is the best color of sunglasses to buy?
Old 06-14-2003, 04:54 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
It depends what style you buy. If you buy those oval wraparounds then it's a good buy, they're still 'in' and people were buying them 5 years ago - and obviously if you're going for oakleys, you care about what's 'in'. I wouldn't buy a really extreme trendy shape that will look dated next year since they really are expensive. Same goes for other expensive brands. If you're going to spend that much then you want something that you can wear for a reasonable length of time.

I would think that generally, the more expensive they are, the better quality they are, but that doesn't mean that cheaper ones aren't of a reasonable quality, or that if you sit on your oakleys they won't break. So quality may not be the most important indicator.

Also I suppose it's a good idea to try to go for glasses that have UV protection since if you're wearing things to shade your eyes you may as well protect yourself from cataracts and so on. I think the more expensive brands are more likely to have this feature.

However having said that, I don't personally buy expensive sunglasses because I simply don't have the money to spend on that sort of luxury - and you can get perfectly good sunglasses that are trendy and useful for $10 - I have two pairs at the moment, one blue tint, one purple. Actually I'm just getting into sunnies this year because I got contacts in January so I can wear them and actually see where I'm going now!

Oh! Make sure you try them on and they feel comfortable on your head - otherwise when you go inside you'll have to hold them or stick them in a bag or something - very inconvenient
Old 06-14-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Without detracting from a single thing that Aelia has said, I would add that UV protection is critical if you do not want to damage your eyes. Also, a reddish tint to the lenses will block the long-wave blue and violet colors that obscure much in hazy conditions.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:22 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I've gone to dollar stores and found really good name brands cheap. The way I go through glasses, ie., either damaged or lost. Thus for me a really expensive, "in style" glasses are a waste of money. I go along with Attalus with UV protection. My favorite lens shade of sunglasses is Amber.

[ 06-14-2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Old 06-14-2003, 11:45 PM   #5
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

darker shades in the day, and yellow at night, specialy if you plan on Driving any distance at night the yellow helps knock out light glares that happen at night, and also helps brighten everything, great if you have night blindness like I dothen of course my favorite colors, are red blue and green, but be warned if you buys these, things change in apperance [img]tongue.gif[/img] my eyes went into shock the first time I took them off after wearing them all day
Old 06-15-2003, 12:15 AM   #6
mysticelt
Drow Warrior

Actually it depends on why you need them.

I wear them for driving and all day - so mine are precision ground ...cheap ones are distorted and drive me crazy & give me headaches. You really notice the difference when you have to read maps and road signs. I have Maui Jims and Revos but you can go to any Sunglass Hut and they can show you the ropes.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:34 AM   #7
GokuZool
Lord Ao

You can get a good pair of sunnies without paying big bucks, so don't just go on the brand.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:56 AM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Willard:
Okay, I'm looking to buy a new pair of sunglasses, right? So I'm wondering: should I buy a pair of expensive Oakleys? Are they really the best kind? Also, what is the best color of sunglasses to buy?
I never even heard of Oakley. Overhere everyone i know wears either a RayBann, Breitling, Porsche Carrera, or something of that priceclass. You guessed it...sunglasses are a fashion in my world.

I just wanted to be different from the rest, and went with Gucci. Blue glasses, works very relaxing.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:32 PM   #9
spydar

all sunglasses (no matter how much they cost) protect against UV rays. but it does matter what color they are for when you wear them (such as driving, lifegaurding, etc...)
Old 06-15-2003, 01:41 PM   #10
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I have to wear them in the sun. My eyes are very sensitive to the UV. I get headaches bad if I dont protect my eyes. I have a pair of UV block "amber" colored glasses I have had for about 2 years. They cost 5 bucks at one of those booths on the sidewalk. They look good to. [img]tongue.gif[/img]