Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2002, 06:00 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

In my opinion, 3rd edition has a good interface (and more beatiful books) but in the other hand it's disappointing. I'm still playing 2nd edition. 2nd Edition was much better. 3rd one sounds too much powerplay.
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 06:04 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I tried 3rd edition for a while. And it felt like powergaming to me, more about getting levels so that you could get stronger than anything else. More "feats" and proficiencies to make you stronger than ones that would help you RP your character. Any race being any class? Yeah, lovely, let's have a gnomish ranger. Or maybe a halfling berserker. An elven necromancer perhaps?

2nd ed is better for roleplaying purposes in my opinion.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 07:14 PM   #3
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I agree with you. I cant think a half-orc paladin and dwarven ranger too! We (me and my DM friends) prefer mostly 2nd edition. And I dont like the modifier which increases every 2 stat. Its really boring.
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 07-30-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

As a Dm 3rd ed is much less of a head ache to worry about, more logical calculations, less complexity. I like things like being able to add character levels too monsters. I think there's more roleplaying potential with the new freedom in character creation. Just because a race/class combo is unlikely it doesn't mean it won't happen. Why couldn't a half orc raised by a human parent become a paladin? He wouldn't be very good (no charisma) but you shouldn't say the systems crap because you can do it. Yes there is more potential for powergaming in 3rd ed but only because now people can actually understand the whole system and figure out how to make an uber character. But it only happens if you let it. As a DM I always remind my players 'anything you can do I can do better'
Old 07-30-2002, 07:56 PM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

A pool for DM's (I mean Dungeon Master in AD&D games not for NWN,the ones who play with character sheet,paper,pen and dice) would be nice! We can share your thoughts and experiences. I still think that 2nd edition is better but 3rd edition has some good sides. For ex, there's 0th level spells. It's a good thing because mostly mages dont want to spend their 1st level slots with spells like read magic,detect magic,cantrip etc. But multi-class system is very poor in 3rd edition. And all the classes gain level with same xp, it's not funny. There's something magical in 2nd edition.

And for DM's,

Do you divide xp's after combats? I mean you know an ogre is worth of 270 xp and the party is 6 people. Do you give 47 each or give 270 each? Do you use the same xp values with Monstrous Manual? And do you give these xp's equal? (you know as it's said in DM's guide, most of things in this game are optional)
Old 07-30-2002, 07:59 PM   #6
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I have always divided the xp amoung the players. If 5 guys kill something worth 100 xp, they each get 20. If one player really stands out as the most effective in the group, or does some great roleplaying, I give little bonuses here and there.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:21 PM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

For huge xp giving creatures I divide too (vampire etc)
I dont like to give 7 xp each for killing 7 kobolds. So I use though goblins and orcs (like captain, high hp) and for ex, for every orc I give 15.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:34 PM   #8
Neb

I don't keep exact track of XP all the time, it can get too annoying since there's XP for picking locks, casting spells(Seriously) learning spells, killing monsters, RP'ing well and so on....

I just give level ups when I feel that the party has beaten something big, has gone through enough, or have reached a new "chapter" in the game. Of course adhering to the fact that some classes level up faster than others.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:00 PM   #9
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Yes, I agree with you. It's best to not let characters gain a level when they're in dungeon. They should finish their adventure or have some time to relax. I give quest award xp's (I like side and mini-quests) role-playing xp's (after every session) not for disarming all the traps for thief, just for disarming a really though trap; a clear idea, succesful tactic, solving a puzzle. Combat xp's are equal of course. A friend of mine was giving combat xp's each person for every creature he's killed. It's very stupid because it's not a shot'em up game. You're earning xp not score. You're not earning xp's for killing the monster. You live the moment, you watch, you join, you learn. In my opinion, a fighter fighting with ogre, a cleric healing his companions, a mage casting haste. They all deserve the same xp.

I usually start my characters at level 3 or 4. These days I'M working on a campaing with 1st level characters. After level 12 the game is getting weird in my opinion.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:53 PM   #10
Neb

I prefer to start characters at level 3-5 as well. There's not much heroism in being a squad of level 1 characters who're out to kill a single dangerous goblin and almost get slain by it [img]tongue.gif[/img]