Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Don't know if anyone else knows this but Good Omens is at present being made into a film. Produced and directed by Terry Gilliam no less. The reported budget is $60 million, there are no cast confirmations as yet, and the release date is apparently this Summer sometime. Here is what Gilliam himself had to say about it:

"I'll warn you in advance that we created a very different climax. And we dropped favorite characters. We added some scenes involving cattle drives in the Old West and song and dance sequences from our favorite Bollywood films. We also tried to make the Metatron more Jewish for the sake of the financiers. Woody Allen would be perfect...or maybe Mel Brooks. Then there is the snuff movie that Crowley is producing which we get to see in utterly graphic detail...we thought it would make him more active in believable evil. And we eliminated most of the comedy. I felt it held the book back from being the 'great and profound work', which we hope the film will be."

So there appear to be a few changes, but I personally trust Gilliam to turn out a good film nonetheless. Frankly, as he says on the website I got this from, it is one hell of a book to compress into two hours of film. If you want more info check out this. Although I should warn you that the site does contain swearing, just in case.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 04:43 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:

And we dropped favorite characters.
<hr></blockquote>

I think that's a *very* good thing, the main characters in Pratchett's novels could never be convincing enough on the big screen, they are bound to end up as disappointments.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:47 AM   #3
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Grojlach:

I think that's a *very* good thing, the main characters in Pratchett's novels could never be convincing enough on the big screen, they are bound to end up as disappointments.
<hr></blockquote>

I do slightly worry that it may end up as a dissapoitment, but if there was ever a Pratchett book suited for the big screen then this is it. It is quite epic in proportions I suppose, so there is a lot to get wrong. But if it all goes well then this is going to be a very good film.

I also kind of like the idea of making this darker. The book worked due to the combination of Pratchett style bizzare humour and Gaiman style black drama. In a movie I think it might lose some of its edge if it gets too caught up in the silliness of the book (in places). It will hopefully concentrate on the dark comedy of it.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 01:33 PM   #4
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Don't know if it'll be any good, but I loved the book, and I'm definetly 'gonna watch the movie!
But, I think it's gonna be hard to make a movie out of any Pratchett books, but since Neil Gaiman is involved, it doesn't get that bizarre as Terry's writing..
Who knows, maybe it'll be a huge success, but I doubt it..
Old 03-14-2002, 12:13 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Great!!! Filming hasn't started yet, from what I can work out.

I love Gilliam's films anyway - Brazil is certainly in my all-time top 100, as is 12 Monkeys. I'm sure he'll do a superb job, although it probably will be quite different. That doesn't bother me, after all, 12 Monkeys was not just a remake of La Jetee - anyone who has seen both will recognise the similar story, but a COMPLETELY different execution. Actually I loved La Jetee too, really well done, just with still photos and narration (OK OK I had to read the subtitles!!!!) OK, I'm going off-topic now, aren't I??
Old 04-06-2002, 12:04 PM   #6
Kresselack
Elite Waterdeep Guard

That book is still one of my favourite book,so I will definitely be keeping tabs on it's develpement. Btw I think Terry Pratchett is a great writer inmho Neil Gaiman is good but not in the same league as Pratchett. Anyone agree?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
Kresselack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 07:45 PM   #7
AliCat
Drow Warrior

I agree. Neil Gaiman is a bit too dark and depressing for me. But we'll see what happens. Having just re-read the book, I don't think I'm going to be too thrilled about favorite characters being taken out. If a character is a "favorite", then it is part of what makes the story actually work.
AliCat is offline   Reply With Quote