Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-20-2001, 12:35 AM   #1
Ziroc

Just wanted to share a thought.. as some of us have seen, the movies such as Shrek and Final Fantasy are using Computer graphics that look ALMOST life-like. Still needs some work with the eyes and face, but it's CLOSE!!

I'm guessing that within 5 years, we will see movies with Actors such as James Dean, Elvis, and any other Star in a movie, and this actor is fully CG.

Or this: Say you wanted to film godfather 0, taking place before part 1. And you need a young version of Al.. CG can do it, and even movie sets! Anyone else think this is coming? I know it is, and it'll be so weird, but awesome!

Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

PS: Nevermind the CLONES of actors--so the REAL star can live it up, while the clones work naaa..

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 05-20-2001).]

Old 05-20-2001, 02:52 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Brings new meaning to the phrase "two-dimensional acting".

------------------
Old 05-20-2001, 02:55 AM   #3
JJ/newbie

At least they won't have to worry about prima donna actors wanting their own trailers

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

Old 05-20-2001, 03:00 AM   #4
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I think there is a huge potential for movies here.
Not only bringing back old actors, but for fantasy movies and such, things like Dwarves and Gnomes could be done heaps more easily, and probably with a lot more quality.
This is something I am really going to like. I have seen a lot of movies from games, which look really good. I was amazed by the movie for the asylum (BG2), it just looked so realistic, and so well done. There are also some great movies of creatures, which also look realistic.
I could possibly go on, because I am really looking forward to the future of movies with CG, but I shant...

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 05-20-2001, 03:17 AM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

im gonna watch Final Fantasy when it comes out... and i think they wont do 'cloning' old actors. it would mean disrespect... in my opinion. all they have worked for can be duplicated??? their careers will bve rendered useless. showbizness will be zip. just all cg...

------------------

I am Bahamut... and this Chiharu.
Old 05-20-2001, 03:23 AM   #6
BladeMaster

Well if anyone has watch the TV show Babylon 5 you will notice that most of the show was done using computer graphics.

------------------

Old 05-20-2001, 07:34 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

I don't know - I like the human touch myself.
I think like many things, this will be a novelty that will wear off in time, and CG will be used primarily to replace sets/scenery/large crowd scenes as they are at the moment.
We're already in a situation where as soon as there is a new development in the use of CG in films a whole wave of films using the new technology are released, and are usually crap - just a vehicle for the technology with things like plot, script, depth and realism ditched in the race to have the best eye-candy (I don't include Shrek in this generalisation, I have heard it is a good engaging film). We see this happening in the world of games also.

Also, although it will become cheaper to produce CG effects in films as far as the technology and equipment needed goes, I can envisage a situation where top CG artists will charge fees in line with the top actors, so the spiralling cost of actors may not even be a deciding factor in whether to use a top actor or CG.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 05-20-2001, 07:40 AM   #8
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Final Fantasy:The spirits within was produced at 2 seconds of footage per day when it first started and took almost 6 years to make. Once CG movies get as popular as video games we will see these giant teams of 100+ animators like square uses to crank out final fantasy video games and there will be so much animators that no singal artist will be able to charge as much as todays big shot actor so it will be cheaper to produce and will eventually look just as good if not better then real life.

------------------
BOW TO THE BISCUIT KING AND HIS THRONE OF SCONE!!!

[This message has been edited by caleb (edited 05-20-2001).]
Old 05-20-2001, 03:50 PM   #9
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeMaster:
Well if anyone has watch the TV show Babylon 5 you will notice that most of the show was done using computer graphics.

Oh yeah, that was a good show too! But the thing is, all the CG shots were of space battles (Amazing ones I might add, DS9 copied them too), but space shots are real simple to do (and space ships) I personally can do some space scenes that would look like it came from B5 or DS9. A few of the guys at Foundation Imagine showed us 3D'ers how to pull off some neat effect too!

I was talking 'humans' and others types of living beings. Heck, anyone see Dinasours? Nice one too!

Ziroc

Old 05-20-2001, 03:56 PM   #10
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
Final Fantasy:The spirits within was produced at 2 seconds of footage per day when it first started and took almost 6 years to make. Once CG movies get as popular as video games we will see these giant teams of 100+ animators like square uses to crank out final fantasy video games and there will be so much animators that no singal artist will be able to charge as much as todays big shot actor so it will be cheaper to produce and will eventually look just as good if not better then real life.
Speaking of time.. I didn't know this until Friday: John Candy was doing the voice of Shrek when they began a while ago (5 years?) then he passed and had to get Mike Myers. It's amazing huh? 2 SECONDS a day.. sucks too, I'm working on my own CG movie, it won't be on par with Shrek or nothing, but it'll look as good as any PC game trailer.

Ziroc

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 05-21-2001).]