Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2002, 01:20 PM   #1
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

I have a load of spell books and no one seems to be able to use them and my party is level 13 on average,it keeps saying they're not ready to learn this!? I havn't changed roles more than once and that was early in the game..Any ideas thanks..John
Old 01-05-2002, 01:45 PM   #2
BlackRaven
Dungeon Master

I have the same problem! My Valk & Ranger are both level 21 and can't learn the portal spells, or much else for that matter. I think the choice may be between a weak fighter who can portal or a strong one who can't.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:14 PM   #3
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

I believe it's for every true caster, it's 5 levels for hybrid.

So for a hybrid (Valk, Sam, Lord, Ninja) to cast level 2 spells they have to be level 10.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:28 PM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

and don't forget that the level 10 mentioned in vaprakgruumsh's post refers to level 10 in that class. so if you have been switching classes early on, you cannot use character level to determine your level. and that really extends how long you have to wait to learn spells.

also, one hopes that you have been pumping the points into their spellcasting. if they only have 2 points in, say, wizardry, it's gonna take them foooooreeeeeveeeeer to learn new spells.

hmmm. what else? can't think of anything. but i'm sure someone far smarter than me will elucidate you on the subject. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

V***V
Old 01-05-2002, 04:14 PM   #5
phoenixsl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This is a repost of information from another source, hope this helps

"I don't think this is exactly a spoiler, but if you'd rather not know, then stop reading, NOW! I'm not out to give away all the secrets, just trying to ease the confusion about this.
To become eligible to learn new higher level spells for your class, you have to meet 2 requirements: 1) minimum level in *THAT* class (not overall), and 2) minimum skill, for *THAT* spell's spellbook & realm.
1) Minimum Level requirement:
Pure Caster Classes: Mage, Priest, Psionic, Alchemist, Bishop
Hybrid Caster Classes: Monk, Ninja, Ranger, Samurai, Lord, Valkyrie
Spell Level .... Min. Class Level
................. PURE .. HYBRID
1 ................ 1 ....... 5
2 ................ 3 ....... 7
3 ................ 5 ....... 9
4 ................ 8 ...... 12
5 ............... 11 ...... 15
6 ............... 14 ...... 18
7 ............... 18 ...... 22

2) Minimum Skill Requirement
To calculate your effective skill level for a given spell:
* Take your highest spellbook skill (Wizardry, Divinity, Psionics, Alchemy) that the spell in question appears in. Important for bishops or class-changed characters, since many spells appear in multiple books.
* Add 10% of your *natural* skill in that spell's realm. This doesn't include temporary skill bonuses such as those from iems.
Spell Level ..... Min. Effective Skill Level
1 .................. 0
2 .................. 15
3 .................. 30
4 .................. 45
5 .................. 60
6 .................. 75
7 .................. 90
It's not as complicated as it sounds. Example: A mage, a pure caster, must be level 5 AND have an effective skill of 30 to learn Fireball, a third level Fire realm Mage spell. If he has 30+ skill in Wizardry, he's all set. He could also qualify if he has, say 28 in Wizardry and 20+ in Fire skill (10% rule).
Hope this helps...
-----signature-----
Alex Meduna
Wizardry 8 Lead Gameplay Programmer/Designer "
--------------------
---------------------------------
Just because you may be paranoid does not mean that they are not after you.
---------------------------------

The Phoenix
----------------------
There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning.
phoenixsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 04:27 AM   #6
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I have a feeling it is likley to be the minimum skill requirement that is catching people out. It stresses the importance of increasing the primary skills of wizardry, alchemy, psionics, and divinity at every opportunity (spell casting and level up). This is particularly important for Bishops, who have the opportunity to spread skills over all 4 schools of magic.