Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
Skunk
Banned User

I bought this game when it first came out - and dutifully finished the epic quest. Then the game sat on the shelf (as they tend to do when you've played them to death): until recently. Then I dusted it off, and decided that I'd try to play it solo.

Anyway, now my solo game is ruined - and it's all the fault of the fletchery trait, combined with my inability to resist temptation.

I'd never played the ranger the last time and, as a solo charactor, I started this role in order to get vine magic. Anyway, the fletchery trait appeared in the fighters guild just after I'd switched to this role - so I bought it without thinking (as you do). Next, I went on the Dojo quest to deliver the dragon arrow... and, imagine my surprise when I found that I had 12 of these arrows - instead of one. So I dutifully handed one over, and by the time I got back, I had 16 of them.

Now, starts the temptation - of course I only sold 15 of them and then...argh! I thought, "Hey! Why not enchant the remaining one with hit points?"
So I gave it two extra hit points.

Now each arrow was worth an *obscene* amount - a rocking 7,625gp !!! And of course, after being starved of cash for so long - I couldn't resist 'making' more arrows with the fletchery trait.

Too much money spoils the game - trust me on this - I became god-like with the cash available from this trait! Now I've put down the game in disgust...

Whatever you do, *never* buy the fletchery trait - it makes the game *too easy* to be enjoyable....
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:32 AM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
Now each arrow was worth an *obscene* amount - a rocking 7,625gp !!! And of course, after being starved of cash for so long - I couldn't resist 'making' more arrows with the fletchery trait.
Just Wait. When you really bless them, you will become a millionaire quick.
But then again, Armor of self making will cost ye millions also.

Weapons of great power will also cost you millions to create.

Just part of the game.

My last insane solo critter had over AC 50, could deal close to 500 HP of damage in a single attack (Dual Weapon), and spent close to 100Mil making it all.

It all works out though, it the programmers wanted you to remain poor in this game, they would have never allowed this trait.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:58 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

*Trying to respond for the third time... [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] *

A valid viewpoint, and one held by others. Some might argue that by the time you get fletchery, you're more than halfway through the game, and money is the least of your worries. Others might point out that the trait doesn't work if you can't equip a bow, so future money flow is not guaranteed. Still others might point out that if you want to stop, just equip a second weapon instead of a bow. No bow in hand, no fletchery...

And Felix points out the truth: If you think 7,000 GP is an insane amount, I'm curious what you'd call the million plus that a fully-enchanted dragon arrow can bring?

One of the best things about W&W is that there are no right or wrong answers: only choices. So if you don't want to use fletchery, you don't have to. You can play the game nicely without it, and make the game as hard (or as easy ) as you want.

Guys, don't tell Skunk about the inn cheat or arbitrage. He may never want to go to sleep or head into a guild again [img]smile.gif[/img]

Weak humor button, Skunk. Weak humor. I live with it... it's nothing personal [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 03:43 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

You can encahnt the arrow so that one arrow will be more than 2.5 millions of gold Right, you have to sell these arrows one by one or you overflow the money description in the shop and you will pay for selling the arrows instead of being paid [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 09:05 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Radek! Good to see you again.

So what enchantment brings them up to 2,5 million gold? I never seem to get more than a million or so, enchanting for damage to the max.

Inquiring minds want to know [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Old 10-07-2003, 09:09 AM   #6
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
[i]you will pay for selling the arrows instead of being paid [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Been burned by that before... [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] Without noticing either...

Moiraine Sedai
Old 10-07-2003, 09:22 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Too difficult to resist temptation??

I've played a lot of CRPGs over the years (not in recent years though). I've played games where they made you jump through hoops for every penny and that you ended up having to do a lot of redundant battles just to get cash to be able to move on to the next stage of the game. I don't think that particularly added to those games. For me it made sections of the game rather "lifeless" where I wasn't learning anything new, wasn't exploring new areas, just doing the same thing over and over to raise enough gold to pay for the armor I *had* to have if I was going to survive in the next area.

Sometimes that can actually be fun or at least relaxing. Doesn't require any thought on what choice I have to make next.

Save for very early in W&W when money is hardest to come by, W&W seemed to me to have a very good balance on despensing gold. Yes, there were ways, such as fletchery, to go overboard. I found that by not concentrating on the money and concentrating on character development I had a lot of fun. It was nice now and then to be able to have enough gold to really go for some great weapon or armor. If having done so seemed to unbalance the game, I'd reset and not do that again.

I've had Rangers and I've changed them to other classes and other weapons and never made use of the fletchery skill again. As Bungleau said: One of the best things about W&W is that there are no right or wrong answers: only choices. So if you don't want to use fletchery, you don't have to. You can play the game nicely without it, and make the game as hard (or as easy ) as you want. the choice is your own. You can make decisions that make W&W the most fun ever or spoil the whole thing. The fact that you can choose is one of the reasons that I like W&W so much. I can play a fast, easy game if I want or I can set up restrictions that make the game very challenging indeed! All up to me and what I would enjoy most at the time.

Why not try a game with no rangers ever and see how that goes.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 09:57 AM   #8
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Ah, but then again it is not the fletchery trait that is the problem rather than one's lack of self-discipline which prevents one from resisting the temptation, right.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:01 AM   #9
Morguemaus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Too True bsftcs

I Too was tempted and surcome to the dark side, and after gaining 15 Million or so, i spent it doing up armour, weapons to build up my characters so that i could go thru the game like a dose of salts.

I will go back and redo the game with one character, but as of yet, dont know whether to use a ninja, a valkyrie, an assassin or a zenmaster.

Decisions decisions......................

Morguemaus
Morguemaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:39 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Morguemaus:
Too True bsftcs
I will go back and redo the game with one character, but as of yet, dont know whether to use a ninja, a valkyrie, an assassin or a zenmaster.
Hmmm... hardly seems fair that way... I can tell you that a solo zenmaster kicks some serious tail, and I believe an assassin or Valkyrie would do the same. A ninja might be a challenge, but not for long...

I'm still thinking that solo rogue would be the hardest solo game. You might take your other characters and do a solo game with cursed items only, or no weapons, or something similar. Those become challenging. Or take your big champion and saddle him with five rogues... kind of a "hen and chicks" approach.

In any case, go give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+