Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-22-2003, 12:25 PM   #11
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, CerebroDragon. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

If you use the search engine or just look a few pages back in the topic index on this forum you will find the place literally littered with topics concerning the composition of parties. In the Best tips thread you might find something as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2003, 01:18 PM   #12
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

That as been like forever so see if my memory is correct
Male Human - Warrior
Male Gourke - Warrior
Female Human - Rogue
Female Elf - Rogue
Male Whiskas - Priest
Male Oomphaz - Wizard

If I remember I started with a Pixie Wizard but it keep dying from that first Skeleton Mage in the cemetery.

[ 09-22-2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:12 AM   #13
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by bsftcs:
Welcome to the board, CerebroDragon. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

If you use the search engine or just look a few pages back in the topic index on this forum you will find the place literally littered with topics concerning the composition of parties. In the Best tips thread you might find something as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Cheers for tha Bsftcs, and thanks!
Although not completely new to the fourms ( I tend to lurk alot and post infrequently) I am very new to this game, despite having an old advert on my toilet of this game under its original title, "Swords and Sorcery".
Ironically, the ad reads: "Wield the steel, feel the magic". (Freudian puns sort of intended but not really!)

I am definitely one to believe that age has nothing at all to do with a game's value or merits, as being an ultima fan can attest to! Thus, I'm finding W&W very addictive with its traditional quasi-old school RPG feel, it sort of reminds me of a mixture between the old AD&D second generation 1st person games (Strahd's Posession, Menzoberranzen and Stone Prophet) with a dash of Might and Magic six-eight. Although the combat took me awhile to get used to, its a unique mixture and seems to allow a nice variety of tactics. The wizard's spells seem rather potent though for so early in the game! (Burn absolutely destroys those potentially nasty green slimes!)

I quite enjoy the atmospheric DM interludes and the little puzzles so far in the Crypt. In fact, I am already scratching my head somewhat at this fire brazier puzzle, just after using the runed figurine, although I'm sure I'll figure something out! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Actually, come to think of it, some of the pain noises sound very similar to those AD&D games I mentioned. Anyone else notice this aswell? [img]smile.gif[/img]

A couple of my friends are trying to coax me away from a total W&W addiction with a rare little game called Amulets & Armour, but if W&W stays as good as it is so far, I know where I'll be spending my time! [img]smile.gif[/img] My only misgiving with it so far, is the inability to alt tab, but that's nothing major!

Cheers,
Cerebrodragon
++==UDIC==++

[ 09-23-2003, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 11:03 AM   #14
bsftcs
Red Dragon

It is always nice to meet new people at the forum. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And if the mystic fire puzzle troubles you too much there is a walkthrough for the whole Crypt, including the puzzle on your W&W CD. In fact I never solved the puzzle. I used the unconventional method also mentioned on your CD.

Although this is very spoilish I cannot help but tickling your curiosity by asking if you know that you can in fact walk BOTH the wizard's and the warrior's path?

Well, no more spoilers for now. If you want more we are fortunate to have our Best Tips Thread. Also you can read the ongoing saga "Stackman's Adventures", which is designed as a heavily spoilish walkthrough. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 06:02 AM   #15
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I verily enjoyed a spectacular long session in the W&W world last night and hopefully completed the Crypt by meeting Nivius and taking the ominous sounding Sacred Oath (Are there punishments for breaching it, I wonder?) thus securing the signet amulet. [img]smile.gif[/img]
The encounter with Scabban (Yes, yes yes!) was amusing in a cheesy way and I took a strange sadistic pleasure out of ending his existence. ALthough I did wonder for a bit whether this would have repercussions for other quests, or if perhaps there was a way to help him without killing him...
That would have been more of a Jean-Luc Picard approach, but his delusions of megalomania was the deciding factor for me.

I did take a peak at the handy little help file on the cd in order to get past the slightly tricky fire pits in the warriors way and also read with interest that one can access both tests. I think I might leave it for now if there's no other reason for going back ot the Crypt. Unless there is something I'm missing out on of course!

Ahh yes, the Ring of Saints! I was a little annoyed that I had to go back to the crypts to search again for it - as really, it should be where it is independent of whether one is given the quest or not. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Or perhaps it was there after all and I just didn't see it!

But having said that, I loved just wandering around the Crypts not knowing what I was going to encounter next. The game has a nice light spirit to it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thus, onto the second watcher and some more exploring!

Cheers,
CerebroDragon
---++---++---
UDIC
---++---+---
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:26 AM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sadly, there is no penalty for breaking your oath. I like to believe that if the designers had enough time to release the game properly, that would have been in there.

Along with variations like how to cure Scabban (if you so chose). That could have been interesting...

And I do suspect that you'll be going back to the crypt again soon... if you haven't completed the warrior guild quests. Many quest items don't appear until you have the quest.

And feel free to start new threads on game updates. Helps people to see them better, it does...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:57 AM   #17
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

It has been sooooooo long -

My very first party were all humans except for one elf,

1 Warrior Lothar
1 Rogue Gustav
2 Wizards Manfred and ?Ludvig
2 Priests Ma'eldra (elf) and ?Lyssa

I changed a couple of them to Paladins fairly early in the game and Wizards to Warlocks. Probably would be easier and more accurate to tell which classes that first party never did: Bard and Monk. I'm not really fond of either of those classes in W&W and have never played either for long. I did go for Zenmaster and Valkyrie on two of them by end game, probably Manfred and Ma'eldra.

Not the most imaginative party but worked well.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:15 PM   #18
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:

I think I might leave it for now if there's no other reason for going back ot the Crypt. Unless there is something I'm missing out on of course!
As Bungleau hinted there might be more quest items for you down there. As to walking the wizard's path there is another ankh waiting for you there.

Keep us posted on your progress, and we will try not to be too spoilish. [img]smile.gif[/img]