Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-14-2004, 11:43 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

...is "Only" by TOMMY EMMANUEL. I bought it on iTunes the other day, after going to see Tommy play in NYC to a packed house of musicians on 42nd St.

He is inarguably the best known guitarist in the world in the Chet Atkins finger picking style. They even did an album together Chet and Tommy.

He's an Aussie. 50 odd years old. Been playing since he was 4. 46 years or so playing guitar in public. The guy is quite simply a freak. Never heard a player like him.

I saw him once, 16 years ago when he played at my school. A few years later he had a hit record, and he played at a huge Christian music festival I was playing at.

He tours America seemingly endlessly, playing solo one man shows. No band. Just a freak on guitar who plays the basslines, chords and melodies on the one guitar. Oh yeah, and if he was just a percussionist, he'd be the best percussionist I've heard. He performed a percussion piece on his guitar that was simply mind boggling.

It was amazing to hear him again, with so much time passed, with the ears I now have. I hear so much more now than I did then. Actually he commented on that process during the show. He actually taught us all near the end of the night. Broke down what he does, gave tips and hints. Unbelievable night in all. Such a genius with so much generosity of spirit. Passing on what he knows, and what he does. Incredible.

If you have $10 get "Only" off iTunes. It's really really good on a compostitional level, let alone the playing. I cannot exclaim much more.

[ 06-14-2004, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 06-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Wow! That's a long time to be playing and perfecting one's skills! Sounds like you really like the music, Hugh! I'll keep the name in mind!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

Wow, any favorable comparison to Chet Atkins is high praise indeed. Based on your review, Yorick, I will definitely look into the cd. I am going to see Joe Satriani again next month for approximately the umpteenth time and am looking forward to it, but the finger picking style is something that only a few have mastered, Chet Atkins, Roy Clark and Les Paul come immediately to mind. Very cool, Yorick, thanks for the info.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:17 AM   #4
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
When it comes to music, you know your stuff. I actually went and bought the album because of your high approval. You were right, he is an amazing guitarist. Has he done many other albums? I'd like to hear more of his work.

Oh, and I would also suggest John Frusciante's (Red Hot Chili Peppers) solo album, 'Shadows collide with people'. Outstanding.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:23 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Kdog, no worries mate. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Jaradu! That's awesome man! Glad to open a window to new sounds for you! Wow.

Yeah, he's done other albums. "Journey" is an old one. He did one with Chet Atkins, called something like "the day fingerpickers took over the world". He also has a new album out.

I'm listening to "Only" again and again. Remarkable. Glad you concur mate!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll check out your recommendation too.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:12 AM   #6
Skippy1
Elminster

Giday Yorick,

Been a fan of Tommy for years now. First seen him play in a pub in North Sydney in the early 80's. He was playing with his brother as the Emmanuel Brothers. They had a Sunday afternoon gig there. Can't remember the name of the pub now, but it was a great way to spend a sunday arvo.

Got his Determination album that he bought out just before I moved to England in '93. Still listen to it fairly regular.

Good to hear he is still kicking around. May have to have a look for that album with Chet Atkins. He also did one with Mark Knoffler years ago that is one of my favourites. Haven't listened to it for a while, but you can be sure the first thing I do tonight when I get home is dig it out.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:38 AM   #7
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

Just listened to some samples on iTunes. WOW is all I can say
Old 06-20-2004, 12:02 AM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2004, 12:31 PM   #9
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hey Yorick,

Good post. I always give a listen or two to artists (some more deserving of the label than others) that get such high recommendations. I've been looking for some new music, as the trash content in popular music is arguably at an all-time high. There's not many in the mainstream who are actually original.

Anyway, I gave it a listen, and will buy it sometime in the near future (I have to pay my credit card bill first). I've been a fan of the one-man-guitar sound ever since I saw Phil Keaggy about ten years ago. Why I didn't explore the genre more, I don't know...

[ 06-22-2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 06-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #10
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Good stuff Yorick! Just checked it out. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]