Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
Mundus
Dungeon Master

Iv played BG2 an finished it a few times an im wonderin how much is ToB an is it worth th money?
Old 06-19-2003, 10:19 AM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

oh the classic question. Look at the threads. If u liked bg2 then TOB is a must. Get IT. Nuff Sed [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2003, 10:25 AM   #3
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Ok, it's basically more of what you've already experienced in SoA, though there are some differences.

Graphically it is just as astounding, breathtaking and full of atmosphere. The music is also completely on par with SoA, sometimes being even more grander and epic.

There is less of a plot and only one real subquest (that one is a biggie though). People who liked BG2 for the plot and the quests will probably find that ToB seems a bit too much like a series of gargantuan battles.

The level is high-power, VERY high-power. Not only do you get semi-godly high-level abilities, the enemy does too and enemies that would make you break a cold sweat in the start of SoA now play the same role as goblins and kobolds did. SoA was rife with high-power items. ToB doesn't falter here either. At the end most of your party is equipped with +5 artifacts with mighty powers.

I think the world is a bit less exspansive and the plot is rather linear, but it is still a worthy buy.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

O yeah it is worth it but is it too much Diablo like this time around.-go there,kill that,bring this/those/these...thing(s)...
But still it is a great game

[ 06-19-2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 11:42 AM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
Ok, it's basically more of what you've already experienced in SoA, though there are some differences.

Graphically it is just as astounding, breathtaking and full of atmosphere. The music is also completely on par with SoA, sometimes being even more grander and epic.
I disagree. For me the graphics (and the artworks especially) are too cartoon like and smooth in ToB opposed to the classic SoA that looked like a D&D book to me.

Quote:

There is less of a plot and only one real subquest (that one is a biggie though). People who liked BG2 for the plot and the quests will probably find that ToB seems a bit too much like a series of gargantuan battles.
Yip! too much hackand slash too little plot.

Quote:

The level is high-power, VERY high-power. Not only do you get semi-godly high-level abilities, the enemy does too and enemies that would make you break a cold sweat in the start of SoA now play the same role as goblins and kobolds did. SoA was rife with high-power items. ToB doesn't falter here either. At the end most of your party is equipped with +5 artifacts with mighty powers.
Agreed though I don't like the overpowered tone of ToB too much it's fun to waste formerly intimidating enemies with just one spell.

Quote:

I think the world is a bit less exspansive and the plot is rather linear, but it is still a worthy buy.
Especially because you can get the high XP and the abilities in SoA too if you have it installed making it more interesting to play a multi-classed or late-dualclassed PC as you no longer lack of the high spell levels you wanted so badly in SoA.

So basically if you are a SoA fan you may not *love* ToB but it is still a must buy for three reasons
1.)It expands SoA and makes it even more fun.
2.)It concludes the story and the prophecy
3.)You'll have some fun encounters with old friends/foes which are hilarious (Spectator Beholder )
Old 06-19-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
Agent Smith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just buy it and u will know what are we talking about!
Old 06-19-2003, 01:32 PM   #7
selena
Elite Waterdeep Guard

ToB seemed less interactive (probably the wrong word) and more fightfightfight than SoA, but I'd say its worth it - I waited months for my hints about getting it for my birthday to pay off (I got it for Xmas instead - my birthday's in July [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and I loved it. But if you bear in mind its an expansion pack and not a full game per se as SoA is, and so it wont have the number of subplots, miniquests etc, then you wont be disappointed [img]smile.gif[/img] It's just a lovely continuation really, where the hacking pace steps up a little.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:48 AM   #8
Jan

That sums up the pros and cons.

Now it is shopping time Mundus. ToB isn't that expensive.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:14 AM   #9
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Get ToB ASAP !

If not for the story or whatever (which is nice and has nice NPC's), get it for the HLA's ! They make you feel good about yourself. ToB is a real feel-good-game!

Quote:
quote:
Yip! too much hackand slash too little plot.
[/QUOTE]Lets not forget that ToB is an expansion, not an entirely new game. If the makers had more time on their hands, you would have probably made the game bigger with more sub-plots and so.

[ 06-20-2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Zuvio ]
Old 06-20-2003, 12:59 PM   #10
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Get it for Watcher's Keep. Personally, i found WK to be the best put together set of 'dungeons' in all of BG2. (Dungeons is a bad word to describe WK) Bioware clearly spent a lot of time and effort in creating this and i had a lot of fun beating it.

The plot of ToB is more 'compact' than it perhaps should have been. IMO there's more than enough potential in the story for it to be a stand alone game to provide the epic final chapters to a BG trilogy. Instead, it's an expansion and you feel as though you're being rushed through without the option of taking your time and setting your own pace. In short, the story is so much more grandeur than SoA, and the time frame is so much shorter.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote