Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Since last week, I've had trouble sending Instant Messages (IMs) on both AOL and AIM. I installed iMesh, but removed it later that same day. But I still ended up with problems. Whenever I hit the 'Send' button, it takes about 15 seconds to send the IM and nothing else on my computer will function for those 15 seconds. I tried Spybot 1.3, but found no threats. AOL technical help told me to delete the BART folder, which I did, but it didn't help. I also deleted all cookies and all the files in my %temp% folder to see if it would help (it didn't). Please, no advice telling me to get rid of AOL or AIM or any of that, cuz I won't. And I also refuse to reformat my hard drive. So...any ideas on how to speed this up?

Computer specifics:

Windows XP
2.4 ghz
256 mb RAM
CPU usage is normal, around 7% or 8% on a usual basis.

I doubt it's a problem with my actual computer cuz I didn't have problems till last week.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 06-23-2004, 11:09 PM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

cant you save your profile somewhere then reinstall your aim and aol?

Catch me if you can..
Old 06-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #3
vesselle
Hathor

yep, copy your profile to your desktop or something and uninstall, reboot and reinstall.
and i don't think you gotta worry about your list of contacts going bye~bye. everytime i've reinstalled, they always come back, apparently stored on their own servers. but it's good to copy over your profile to make it all easier.

V***V

[ 06-23-2004, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: vesselle ]
Old 06-23-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Should I just uninstall AOL then reinstall, or just reinstall it with out uninstalling?
If I have to uninstall, do I do it through the add/remove component or through the uninstaller file?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 06-23-2004, 11:57 PM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i suggest uninstalling, reboot then reinstall .. that should work. i know with aim, as long as you have your profile and password, you can retrieve your contacts without a problem since its stored in their server. the only thing you will lose there is your message history or past conversations.

Catch me if you can..
Old 06-24-2004, 03:42 AM   #6
philip
Galvatron

Uninstalling via add/remove component is the same as uninstalling via the uninstaller file. Add/remove component is a registry link to the uninstaller file.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:06 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Try using Trillian. It has an AIM client (among other things), and it may work better for you.

[ 06-24-2004, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]