Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-23-2003, 01:03 PM   #31
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Alright, I just bust a gut at Donut. Again. Censored you, Donut, you make me laugh too often.

[ 09-12-2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:10 PM   #32
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, Groj, you stole my post!

Seriously, that's why a single joke thread worked here at IW in the past and why it was suggested by many people more recently. By having everyone post their jokes and responses on that thread, the discussion was pretty lively when it went beyond 'haha, funny joke' and those who craved the attention/feedback could at least get a 'haha, funny joke' comment or two.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:19 PM   #33
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
But since when are jokes about popularity polls? And I suppose you don't really want to know what everyone thinks about certain jokes; the truth may hurt sometimes.
And, to be honest, negative feedback has always been met with hostility or responses like "nobody cares what YOU think, but I still think it's funny" or "then why do you even bother to respond?" or "Why don't YOU post something funny, then?" from those who think it's really amusing. So why do you even want to invite people who didn't like it to respond anyways? True, it would surely make the topic itself a lot more interesting than the regular half a dozen of "ROFL" and "Derrrr that's funny" replies it normally attracts, but I suppose things could get heated and offensive far more easily just the same... And people (or at least their pride) are bound to end up getting hurt.
Ahhh Groj and his trusty winking smilies and sensible advice, always at hand
You're probably right, I probably WOULD respond like that to negative feedback, but the policy would be: positive feedback or none at all, don't you think that makes sense? <- inserted for good measure and to increase chance of translatability into Groj language
Old 05-23-2003, 02:04 PM   #34
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Well, Groj, you stole my post!

Seriously, that's why a single joke thread worked here at IW in the past and why it was suggested by many people more recently. By having everyone post their jokes and responses on that thread, the discussion was pretty lively when it went beyond 'haha, funny joke' and those who craved the attention/feedback could at least get a 'haha, funny joke' comment or two.
Your own Cloudy's Cafe is a good example why a single joke thread won't work. I never go there because that thread gets so long it is impossible to follow a single conversation (or sub thread). I'm far too lazy to chase down responses to an input.

As far as getting a response such as "LOL" is of little import to me. I do like response to find out if a style or subject is of interest. But, as I have done here, 'quotes' cause the size of a thread to get out of hand. But without the quote or some reference it is impossible to follow what writer is talking about. Nah! the best solution is a limit on material and eliminate the Add-A-Caption all together. Hope this meet everyones expectations. Oh I will post like the pii the cat thing when it works.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 05-23-2003, 02:23 PM   #35
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

[quote]Originally posted by Arvon:
Quote:
Your own Cloudy's Cafe is a good example why a single joke thread won't work. I never go there because that thread gets so long it is impossible to follow a single conversation (or sub thread). I'm far too lazy to chase down responses to an input.

As far as getting a response such as "LOL" is of little import to me. I do like response to find out if a style or subject is of interest. But, as I have done here, 'quotes' cause the size of a thread to get out of hand. But without the quote or some reference it is impossible to follow what writer is talking about. Nah! the best solution is a limit on material and eliminate the Add-A-Caption all together. Hope this meet everyones expectations. Oh I will post like the pii the cat thing when it works.
ROTFL! Then you completely missed the point of the Cafe, Arvon! It's not a running dialogue on ONE topic or a series of topics rigidly followed! It's a CAFE...you might walk into a real cafe and hear bits of a conversation you find interesting and you might respond or become involved, but then your friend comes in and you go start a new conversation with him, then someone stops by your table and you have a nice chat with her before you leave for work or the dentist etc..... When you come back, there are all new conversations going on and you don't ask everyone there to summarize what they've been doing for several hours! You start in fresh OR you might even bring up a topic you were interested in from the morning when you were there....it's a very easy going and friendly atmosphere.

Plainly put, you respond to what's there when you join the thread. There is NO reason you have to read a hundred posts to 'catch up' since more than likely you'd find a whole new topic under discussion at the end and most days there are 2, 3 or 4 discussions going on at the same time! Most of us just read back a page and join in or start our own topic that we wish to discuss!

A general joke thread flows in much the same way. And between us, I'm far to busy to post a dozen or more 'haha, funny joke' comments when you post multiple joke threads!

I'm confused here, Arvon. From the way you always balk at the idea of a single thread and the reasons you give, it just sounds like you want dozens of replies and discussion/feedback on each and every joke in the order you post the jokes so you hate the more relaxed, longer threads. Is that how you feel or am I missing something? Because if it IS, please note that there are few threads that stay totally focused on feedback to the original author alone! Joke threads go on tangents and usually there are not that many replies for all the reasons already mentioned above! If you keep expecting more positive replies than you've been getting, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate what it is you're looking for and where you might find it, because it's just not going to happen in joke threads! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-23-2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 05-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #36
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
[[/QB]
I deleted all of the quote...
I agree about what the cafe is. But If I were to get into a conversation, drop out for an hour or two then return, could I join the same conversation? Of course not. So useful discussions there are not practical. So it is with a joke thread. References to a given joke or comment just gets lost. (Unless one uses quotes).

And remember I DID try the singular joke thread for several weeks. Rmember the 'Funny Bone'? Didn't work out.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 05-23-2003, 02:31 PM   #37
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
But I'll tell you what I love doing more than anything: trying to pack myself in a small suitcase. I can hardly contain myself.
OK someone PLEASE stop Donut from posting jokes.

Arvon, I liked your jokes and replied to some. I didn't really enjoy the add a caption ones though. There were simply too many of them.

And please, why do some people feel the need to post rude comments on Arvon's decision? If you didn't enjoy his jokes he has shown respect towards your wishes. Why not try and show some respect the other way too.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:51 PM   #38
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
quote:
[
I deleted all of the quote...
I agree about what the cafe is. But If I were to get into a conversation, drop out for an hour or two then return, could I join the same conversation? Of course not. So useful discussions there are not practical. So it is with a joke thread. References to a given joke or comment just gets lost. (Unless one uses quotes).

And remember I DID try the singular joke thread for several weeks. Rmember the 'Funny Bone'? Didn't work out.... [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]At the risk of pulling out my hair....one more time... The Cafe thread isn't for extended, long and drawn out discussions, Arvon! That was never it's purpose so it's not a problem! The Cafe is for short little chats like we have there, period! If you have a topic so intense that it needs discussing over a long time you post a seperate thread. The Cafe was created to take the small conversations so they don't clog the big ones. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I'll disagree with you vehemently on whether the discussions held there are 'useful' or not. I, personally, have found a lot of good conversations there and many have been helpful in one way or another, including a very brief one today on asbestos removal!

Yes, I recall the Funny Bone thread. What I don't follow is why you claim it didn't work out. From the above post it seems you're saying you think there should be 'useful' discussions on your posted jokes? Do you really feel we need to have philisophical treatises posted on each joke?! LOL, a joke is a fleeting thing...you hear it/read it and laugh...maybe you point out that you love blond jokes or hate dog jokes or whatever but I don't see how a 'discussion' can ensue that would last very long and in the past the joke threads with one joke never got very long, so what exactly is not good about the single thread for many jokes?

And again, we've done it here at IW in the past and it did work for us at that time. There was one person who kept the thread going and many members contributed jokes, it wasn't just one person's thread. Maybe that's why it worked, I don't know.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:12 PM   #39
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Heard about the pirate who went into a bar with a steering wheel down his pants?
Bartender looks at him and says: "Why do you have a steering wheel down your pants?" Pirate replies: "Arrrrrr.. drives me nuts."

What about the pirate who opened up a tattoo and piercing shop.. A man walks in and asks: "How much to get my ears pierced?" and the pirate replies: "A Buccaneer."
Old 05-23-2003, 09:16 PM   #40
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
But I'm in great mood tonight because the other day I entered a competition and I won a 10 year supply of Vegemite......... one jar.
[img]tongue.gif[/img] - its getting so you cant see the woods for the trees. I think this one's a weed though [img]smile.gif[/img]

Must be a big jar Donut - I go though a standard jar every 6 weeks. Nice to know you have a supply in for your mates though - me and Yorick will puta dint in that sometime.