Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2002, 09:29 AM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
The thief was moments from a clean getaway when the hunter happened upon his car, police said. The man told the hunter he had a gun and threatened to kill him, said Sgt. T.E. Kiser of the Harris County Sheriff's Department homicide division.

The hunter drew his bow and shot at the man, hitting him in the hip and buttocks area.

The man jumped from the vehicle and ran across the 9500 block of East Mount Houston Road in northeast Harris County. Passing motorists saw him run into a field and collapse, detectives said.
The thief was sitting in the car, just moments away from leaving with it, when the hunter found him. How can he be about to leave, and pointing a gun at the hunter?

Why is it that the detective mention the thief's car, but never talk about a gun?

I don't know about you, but if I had a bow, and someone was pointing a gun at me, I think he would have the time to shoot me before I do. How could he have the time to draw his bow, and shoot him multiple time?

I think what happened is that the hunter saw the thief in his car, took his bow, and shoot the thief.

But this is just my theory and it is not important.

What is important is that someone killed someone over a car, that's sad. What are we? Animals? Why is it that no one respect life anymore?
Old 10-21-2002, 09:37 AM   #12
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Actually, whether or not it was murder or justified self-defense is up to the Grand Jury. And, Hunter, I have seen a man killed by a knife wound to the groin. It severed the femoral artery, among other things, and he bled to death.
Nope. This guy's going to jail. In a case like this, the grand jury will likely have no choice. The guy killed someone to protect PROPERTY. Not allowed in any state. Self-defense of property does not exist. Even in Texas. Now if it fits that wierd "criminal mischief in the nighttime" exception down there, the guy has a chance.[/QUOTE]legal and just mean nothing, it just depends on how good his lawyer is. We don't really have a justice system, if we did, people injured or killed during the comission of a crime would be written off to a darwinism and that would be that.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:38 AM   #13
MagiK

I can hear this guy at the pearly gates..
St. Peter: how did you die.
Crook: I was shot in the ass with an arrow.
St. Peter: And you died from that?
Crook: Yes sir.
St. Peter: You go to hell.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2002, 09:41 AM   #14
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Uh, Timber, the original poat did say that the robber threatened the bowman with a gun. Would that make a difference? I have seen storekeepers shoot wolud-be robbers and the Grand Jury decline to indict.
It makes all the difference in the world

If the hunter was threaten with a gun, then defending himself with a bow will not qualify as unnecessary force.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:42 AM   #15
MagiK

Luvian is probably right, the guy has probably changed the story to support his side of it. As Timber said, it is fine for people to steal your stuff, we don't allow you to protect your belongings, only your own life. Personally I believe this is Bull droppings but hey, the people in charge of the law are worried about the rights of the criminals.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:43 AM   #16
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Material can be replaced, a life can not.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:48 AM   #17
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
quote:
The thief was moments from a clean getaway when the hunter happened upon his car, police said. The man told the hunter he had a gun and threatened to kill him, said Sgt. T.E. Kiser of the Harris County Sheriff's Department homicide division.

The hunter drew his bow and shot at the man, hitting him in the hip and buttocks area.

The man jumped from the vehicle and ran across the 9500 block of East Mount Houston Road in northeast Harris County. Passing motorists saw him run into a field and collapse, detectives said.
The thief was sitting in the car, just moments away from leaving with it, when the hunter found him. How can he be about to leave, and pointing a gun at the hunter?

Why is it that the detective mention the thief's car, but never talk about a gun?

I don't know about you, but if I had a bow, and someone was pointing a gun at me, I think he would have the time to shoot me before I do. How could he have the time to draw his bow, and shoot him multiple time?

I think what happened is that the hunter saw the thief in his car, took his bow, and shoot the thief.

But this is just my theory and it is not important.

What is important is that someone killed someone over a car, that's sad. What are we? Animals? Why is it that no one respect life anymore?
[/QUOTE]If the hunter saw the thief sitting in his car about to drive off, wouldn't it be hard to hit him in the butt?

If he told him he had a gun and reached in his pocket, the hunter would probably have plenty of time. If he was caught unaware, trying to hotwire the car then the chances are he didn't have the gun in his hand.

If you tell me you have a gun and tell me you're going to kill me and then reach for your pocket, I'm going to do everything I possibly can to keep you from reaching that gun. If your lying to me in order to frighten me, you've made a serious miscalculation if I'm holding a bow, baseball bat, hammer, etc.

If your theory is true, it's murder over a vehicle, if what the hunter says is true it's self defense.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:48 AM   #18
Thoran
Galvatron

If the guy claimed to have a gun then the hunter could justifiably "be in fear for his life" and use lethal force to protect himself.

Of course since only the hunter is around to tell the tale... he has said the exact right thing to keep him out of trouble, irregardless of what actually happened.

I'd make a guess that there won't be any charges unless police can come up with some way to say the hunter is lying about the gun claims.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:55 AM   #19
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
If the hunter saw the thief sitting in his car about to drive off, wouldn't it be hard to hit him in the butt?
I agree, but look at this:

Quote:
Detectives said they found a stolen vehicle in the wooded area north of East Mt. Houston where the hunter had parked his car to practice.

"It appears the man who tried to steal the car may have been living in that vehicle," Kiser said. "He must have noticed when the hunter left his car and tried to break in. He had already broken the steering column and was about to start the car when the hunter arrived."
Maybe the door was still open, I don't know, but the only way I can see for the hunter's arrows to hit the thief where they did is if he was sitting, and shot from the side.

Quote:
If he told him he had a gun and reached in his pocket, the hunter would probably have plenty of time. If he was caught unaware, trying to hotwire the car then the chances are he didn't have the gun in his hand.

If you tell me you have a gun and tell me you're going to kill me and then reach for your pocket, I'm going to do everything I possibly can to keep you from reaching that gun. If your lying to me in order to frighten me, you've made a serious miscalculation if I'm holding a bow, baseball bat, hammer, etc.

If your theory is true, it's murder over a vehicle, if what the hunter says is true it's self defense.
I agree, but I still think killing someone over a car is sad.

[ 10-21-2002, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 10-21-2002, 01:18 PM   #20
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
I agree, but I still think killing someone over a car is sad.[/QUOTE]
I agree but so is helping yourself to something that is not yours, especially you dont have any idea just how vital that item may or may not be to that persons own well being. You break the law, you should be ready to accept the risks.