Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Sooooooo..... according to the bible, Christ was concieved in June. Nine months later he would be born. 6 months would make it December, and im pretty sure Joseph didnt have a scalpel, morphine, and the knowledge to perform a ceserian (sp?) insection. Therefore Christ was born in March. Christ mas was formed out of jealousy towards pagans who celebrated with a banquet in December. Christians wanted a feast. So this celebration is what Christians call "pagan" and Christian.

Merry Christmas................
Old 12-26-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
Haldir
Manshoon

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dalamar Stormcrow:
[QB] Sooooooo..... according to the bible, Christ was concieved in June. Nine months later he would be born. 6 months would make it December, and im pretty sure Joseph didnt have a scalpel, morphine, and the knowledge to perform a ceserian (sp?) insection. Therefore Christ was born in March. Christ mas was formed out of jealousy towards pagans who celebrated with a banquet in December. Christians wanted a feast. So this celebration is what Christians call "pagan" and Christian.

interesting
Old 12-26-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
Gammit
Elminster

I studied this in one of my English Bible Classes at college. My prof said that the Christians chose Dec 25 as it was already an established holiday with a local religoun (non-Jewish). By having a major holiday in common, the Christians hoped to bring more numbers into their midst... safety in numbers and all.

Don't know if he was right, but it's definitely a cool bit of history trivia!
Old 12-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Considering that in the distant past, Christianity was often more about politics then religion, I wouldn't be surprised if it was true [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2003, 03:56 PM   #5
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Gammit:
I studied this in one of my English Bible Classes at college. My prof said that the Christians chose Dec 25 as it was already an established holiday with a local religoun (non-Jewish). By having a major holiday in common, the Christians hoped to bring more numbers into their midst... safety in numbers and all.

Don't know if he was right, but it's definitely a cool bit of history trivia!
Yes, that's right. The Romans celebrated the Saturnalia where we now celebrate Christmas. When Christianity was declared the official Roman religion and the pagan religion was not allowed anymore, to ease the transition and make the religion more palatable, important events were celebrated on dates previously important to pagans. So it was not jealousy, but pragmatism
Old 12-28-2003, 07:56 PM   #6
Mr_Krift
Zhentarim Guard

Scientists say it was impossible for him to be born at that time
Old 12-28-2003, 08:04 PM   #7
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

The Mods and I have imposed a Religious discussion ban for a while, because it's started WAY to many flamewars, and it always end the same; with hurt feelings.

I know some of you might have missed the announcement, so no biggie. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album