Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 06-15-2001, 04:21 AM   #91
Fallagar
Dungeon Master

Maximizing Hit Points (Official Strategy Guide)

The number of Hit Points you gain when leveling up is actually quite complex. It is not a simple process whereby dice are rolled and that amount is automatically credited to the account. Instead, Hit Points are re-rolled whenever a character makes a level - if the new total is less than the character's current Hit Points, the character is only awarded one hit point - this ensures proper balance throughout the game, and that all similar characters will have reasonably consistent Hit Points. It should be noted that many factors are evaluated to determine how many Hit Points a character should have.

It is possible to save the game before you level up and then keep re-loading until you get a result that you consider favorable. However, in the long run a character's Hit Point total will average out so this tactic may be self-defeating and time consuming.

Fallagar
Fallagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 06:53 AM   #92
Radek
Red Dragon

Fallagar,
I think the whole thing is more complex.
a) Role Ascension in general. We should plan a career for a character such a way that the character does not lose his abilities. For example, if we want a Paladin then we should start with a Warrior (the Warrior gains the Spirit magic) and not with a Priest (because the Priest would lose his Vine magic). Well, the Paladin can be an intermediate role: we can start with a Priest, become a Paladin (we lose the Vine magic temporarily) and continue training the Spirit magic and then become a Ranger (we regain the Vine magic, well, we lose the Spirit magic but the training of the Spirit magic is already complete) and continue training the Vine magic. If we do not want magic at all then we should direct the career through important traits and skills. For example, the Samurai is the only source of the Prowess skill (the only source known to me). Therefore, every fighter should become a Samurai for a while. It is sufficient to get level 3 Samurai - this should be enough to gain skill level 1 in Prowess - and then change the role again. Now, the Prowess skill cannot vanish.
b) The magic users. The spellcasting abilities will be maxed out not at level 7 or so but at level 20 or so! Because the magic user gains an amount of spell points every time he levels up. The process stops at a certain limit which depends on SPI and, perhaps, on WIL. Moreover, the process behaves really mysteriously: the LOWER is your skill in the magic schools and the LESS spells you already have, the LATER the process stops! But this is not all. The magic user starts to get spell points again somewhere at level 60! If you want a super spellcaster then you must fly through all magic shool giving roles without leveling up and then become a Barbarian, therefore: level 1 Wizard -> level 1 Warlock -> level 1 Paladin -> level 1 Ranger -> level 1 Barbarian. Now, level up as a Barbarian as long as you are gaining spell points. When the process stops then become a Warlock and start gaining spells.
c) The effect of training. It is not the best idea to set out to the Pyramid immediately. It is better to train a bit: do the Crypt, reset adventures, do it again and so on. In the meantime, change roles repeatedly so that we keep our level low. How much low depends on the trained character. The spellcaster will need higher level so that he can get level 7 spells. The fighter can change his role earlier. Let us note that (the initial) maxing out the spellcaster abilities depends on the number of leveling up, not on the actual level of the spellcaster - we can send a spellcaster (i.e., a barbarian at that time) solo through a Crypt three times and gain heaps of spell points.
My recommendations:
1. Use your brains when planning a career for your character. Prepare a complete career for each of your characters at the very beginning of the game.
2. Train a bit in Valeia. Change roles often. This keeps your level low during the training. Choose the final role and subsequent roles (i.e., roles after the training in Valeia) wisely.
3. Change roles only when you want an additional advantage (trait, skill, better role) and keep the role only as long as necessary. Try to get the target role (i.e., the role which you want to play to the end of the game) as soon as possible.
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2001, 03:49 PM   #93
Dragonrat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Reposting this tip from another thread... when you get to Brimloch Roon, make sure you have enough money to get the ship (it costs 10,000 gold) BEFORE you blow it all on items or training (like I did!) otherwise, you will not be able to progress to the later parts of the game for a long, long time.

Dragonrat
Dragonrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 02:34 PM   #94
rjsmith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My ranger has been "fletching" fully enchanted Dragon Arrows. When I go to sell them at the Armory in Ishad N'Ha, I find out that 11 of them are worth MINUS 15 Million gold pieces!!
Apparently, Gold is a "signed integer" value and you can only transact for so much at a time. I actually failed to notice when I first sold 49 of them and ended up with a bag of gold worth about minus 5 million -- which couldn't be dropped, by the way! Luckily, at the time, another character was sporting 13 Million gold so pooling left me net positive.

So, here's the tip: If you're utilizing a ranger to produce enchanted arrows to support your other enchanting activities, be careful when you sell them. I was able to sell 5 or 6 at a time for about 12 Million gold. Much beyond that and you get into negative territory.
rjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 07:09 PM   #95
Crescent
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The spirit of Rumpy keeps regenerating. Once you clear the Crypt, go upstairs, trigger the lever to go outside, trigger the level again and go back inside the Crypt. With running, I can get down there in about 30 seconds real time. A few Haste spells, a Bless, and (later on) a Force of Might on a character or two will quickly take care of him.

This is great early on when you're about to advance, but are missing a few exps. Rumpy is worth 1100. You also get a Wand of Stars each time, worth 500gp. (Of course, you can go to the Inn at Valeia and strip potential new hires all you want to, so the gp of the wand isn't all that important.)

------------------
My realty check bounced - insufficient funds ...
Crescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2001, 07:19 PM   #96
Crescent
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In Valeia:

Don't train your spell casters in spell groups (i.e. Vine, Stone, etc.) Since you can keep going back to the Inn and striping created characters of gold, you can afford all the training you want. You can buy the spell group training at the guilds. You can not buy Sorcery training.

I wait until I am ready to go up a level to buy training, then buy it and immediately train up. Might as well keep the gold until I really need it. Since the guilds are in the town, I can strip, train, then advance just outside the town (in case I need to flush a bad hit point roll.)

------------------
My realty check bounced - insufficient funds ...
Crescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 07:02 AM   #97
Radek
Red Dragon

@Rjsmith: Notice that a bag of gold can hold up to 10 mil. of gold and that the town bank has a limited number of bag slots. The problem must be here (in the game logic) and not in the signed-integer value of gold. Notice also that a 32-bit signed integer can hold a value greater than 2,000,000,000.
I suggest to keep your money reasonably high throughout the game, not allowing extremes. I always have about 7,000,000 gold. When the gold drops below 4,000,000 then the gold is doubled by the "inn feature".
Radek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2001, 08:50 PM   #98
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Don't get lost in those pesky, multi-level dungeon maps!! As you explore, use the "flags" feature of the automap. Mark elevators, stairs, paths, and other map features to remind you of where they go(once you figure it out). e.g. The Stout Mines have many elevators, of which, only certain ones will take you to another map. As soon as you discover which one does what, flag the elevator in your automap, and make a note in the window, such as, "this map only" or "to Magical Lake" or "to 1st Track Switch" etc. This made my "Adventure" through the Mines MUCH easier! I wish I had done that in the Serpent Temple!

+Dr.Pick
Dr.Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 08:40 AM   #99
Balgin
Elminster

Sorry, but I enjoyed the Mines because it was one of the only two dungeons that managed to fool my unaturally canny direction sense (the other was the Serpent Temple where poison spells and monsters kept me turning round until I couldn't tell which way I was facing all the way through). I don't generally mark maps, relying on my memory but I can see how that could be helpful.

------------------
Balgin, the Dwarf
Balgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:17 AM   #100
Elara
The Magister

Buying the ship in Brimloch Roon is overated.. You can swim everywhere! Save the $ for training and enchantments.

To move fast across the water, tilt your view up above the horizon, press Shift/Forward Arrow keys and add your straffe right or left keys (right/left arrows) to alter direction. This will pop your party above the water and you'll be skimming across the waves on the tips of your toes!
Elara is offline   Reply With Quote