Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2002, 01:05 AM   #1
Guinness
The Magister

I have noticed that having a high WIS for monks is not as good as having a high DEX. Sure you can get up to +4AC, but with a high DEX, you can achieve +6 or was it 5.... Not to mention the other benefits of high DEX.

Anyone else think so too? ...or otherwise?
Old 10-17-2002, 01:23 AM   #2
nameless crazy
Dungeon Master

First some monk ability are related to wis (stunning fist, qui. palm). Second I don't understand your calculation. With a suitable race you can get the same ac benifit from wis the same as dex (eg. use the assimar subrace you can start at 20wis....which is a +5 ac already). Wis also give you will save bonus.Of course you get better reflex save with high dex (shame they don't apply weapon finess on unarmed attack). So you need to balance the points to put to both stat.

Conclusion: wisdom is still very important to monk......
nameless crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 01:28 AM   #3
Guinness
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by nameless crazy:
First some monk ability are related to wis (stunning fist, qui. palm). Second I don't understand your calculation. With a suitable race you can get the same ac benifit from wis the same as dex (eg. use the assimar subrace you can start at 20wis....which is a +5 ac already). Wis also give you will save bonus.Of course you get better reflex save with high dex (shame they don't apply weapon finess on unarmed attack). So you need to balance the points to put to both stat.

Conclusion: wisdom is still very important to monk......
OOooops.... i guess it's too late for my dim witted Half orc Monk..... heheheheh....got a wis of only 10. But with STR20 Dex 16 and Con 16, she is still pretty good. Ironic that my Rogue/Fighter seem to do better at "Battle Squares" though.... could be cos he can do different types of damage.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:56 AM   #4
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

The Monk CAN be good... BUT the monk can also be the most worthless member of your party for awhile. Remeber that they get an AC bonus for DEX and WIS. So I like to keep those even and high 18 Dex + 18 Wis = +8 AC bonus not to mention will saving throws can be more important to a fighter than reflex. Reflex usualy saves you from damage, but domination or command removes your fighter from the fight altogether. That seems worse to me than taking a few points damage, or even a lot of damage. But YOUR monk is the reason they invented mind blank... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2002, 03:35 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I like to create my monks with 18 str and dex. If I have any points left, I put them in constitution.

I find that the extra damages are better than the bonus to ac I could get. By the end of the game, you are going to get hit all the time anyway.