Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2010, 02:51 AM   #51
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

Upset Re: Giant Plumes of Oil... A way to clean those up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Oh, in further reading, it looks like he was apparently told he'd lose his position if he didn't apologize and he has since issued another one, retracting his use of the word "shakedown" - which I forgot to mention earlier he had actually used the term incorrectly.
...Which just goes to show that some people here will argue just about anything to defend someone from their 'own' party, even if even their own party leaders wouldn't dare to.

Last edited by Papa Schlumpf; 06-19-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Papa Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #52
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Giant Plumes of Oil... A way to clean those up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
I think I just said it, but in case I wasn't clear:

You cannot argue there was no due process when the company met with the government and reached an agreement. I've negotiated cleanups on behalf of companies, and I can tell you from my experience an escrow to ensure the security of the money settled upon is almost always required.
Thanks for the explanation, TL. I didn't know the specifics of the initial agreement and a google search just kept returning links to Barton's apology.

It makes a lot of sense for the escrow to be set-up, especially in light of the Exxon Valdez experience, and $20 million is a minimal amount to make sure at least some efforts are made while BP goes through the due process.

I agree that Barton's actions seem to lead to only one conclusion about his true loyalties. Like you said, he's given his opponents all they will need to replace him next election.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #53
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Question Mark Re: Giant Plumes of Oil... A way to clean those up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
Thanks for the explanation, TL. I didn't know the specifics of the initial agreement and a google search just kept returning links to Barton's apology.

It makes a lot of sense for the escrow to be set-up, especially in light of the Exxon Valdez experience, and $20 million is a minimal amount to make sure at least some efforts are made while BP goes through the due process.

I agree that Barton's actions seem to lead to only one conclusion about his true loyalties. Like you said, he's given his opponents all they will need to replace him next election.
Not sure how you didn't understand it when I quoted the small paragraph from Wikipedia stating that this was an escrow amount...as in a "good faith" payment.

It was post # 46. This is the text.

Quote:
Rep. Barton has been regarded as a global warming skeptic and his opposition to addressing global warming has been consistent and long-term. Barton is considered an oil industry apologist, most notably for his rebuffing and apologizing for the White House asking for an escrow account from BP in response to the Gulf Oil Spill disaster
Old 06-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #54
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Giant Plumes of Oil... A way to clean those up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Schlumpf View Post
...Which just goes to show that some people here will argue just about anything to defend someone from their 'own' party, even if even their own party leaders wouldn't dare to.
You said it.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #55
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Not sure how you didn't understand it when I quoted the small paragraph from Wikipedia stating that this was an escrow amount...as in a "good faith" payment.

It was post # 46. This is the text.
To be fair, TL's known experience as a lawyer makes his assessment more trusting than a quote from Wikipedia which can be freely altered and toyed with.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #56
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Giant Plumes of Oil... A way to clean those up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretMaster View Post
To be fair, TL's known experience as a lawyer makes his assessment more trusting than a quote from Wikipedia which can be freely altered and toyed with.
How? There either was or wasn't an escrow submitted.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #57
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Barton is considered an oil industry apologist, most notably for his rebuffing and apologizing for the White House asking for an escrow account from BP in response to the Gulf Oil Spill disaster
To be fair, Barton called it a "shakedown" and said it was a lack of due process. That -- nor the wiki article -- explain the difference between an escrow and a payment for damages, and neither one discusses the clear difference between a lack of process (ie. government just takes your money by seizing your bank notes or nationalizing your company) vs. a process that is followed (ie. negotiation) and leads somewhere (ie. to an agreement).

I can't blame most folks for glossing over the difference between the two, and I can't blame most folks for missing the ball when the MSM as well as politicians (ie. Barton in this case) mischaracterize and misconstrue the situation to gain the false appearance of a small political victory.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #58
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I guess I assumed that people knew what an escrow payment is, is all. After all, in most mortgage situations you have to pay one to show you are serious about a deal. Apparently, Barton didn't know. He apologized later - maybe someone informed him that what he claimed happend did not in fact happen. That or he genuinely realized he was wrong. Who knows?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #59
SecretMaster
Apophis

On a somewhat related note, Jon Stewart did a really good piece on energy. Probably one of his best, though I don't really watch his show.

http://www.indecisionforever.com/201...epence-pledge/
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #60
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I don't think anyone does watch his show, lol. Which sux because he is really quick, smart and funny but he's on Comedy Central so that's like being in the little leagues as far as ratings go. When I do see him it's usually cuz someone links me a video like this one, or when im browsing Youtube. I could see him holding his own on Late Night - prolly shoulda taken Jimmy Fallon's job. When he goes on Fox he takes them all on and is hilarious while doing so.