Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-21-2000, 08:13 PM   #1
fyleow

What are the disadvantages of the Sorcerer? The Gamespot guide isnt too clear on the class. They can cast any spell they learned without memorizing it but they have limited spots? Cant this be a major cause of imbalance with unlimited casts of disintegrate, elemental summonings etc?

Old 11-22-2000, 12:37 AM   #2
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Selecting each spell CAREFULLY is crucial to a successful Sorcerer. A disadvantage is limited spells available to cast and only gain new spells at lvl. up.Spell Progression is the same as a Mage,Limiting both the #spells that you can know and that you can cast per day by your lvl of course.

ie. A 17th lvl sorcer can cast 5 first, 5 second, 5 third, 5 fourth, 5 fifth, 3 6th, 3 7th and 2 eight.

You also pick the spells you know according to the same chart each time you lvl up.

This chart also determines the number of spells you can cast per day per spell level.A 17th level mage can cast any one of his/her first level spells a day five times. Or the same mage could cast five different first lvl spells once.

Advantage- No memorization, Choose any spell of each spell level you attain, You can still cast scrolls and I dont know about anyone else but I found alot of scrolls in BG2.

Save before each lvl up if you might change your mind about your spell choices as once you choose a spell it yours as long as you walk on dirt.
Old 11-22-2000, 12:38 AM   #3
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Correction: I inserted the word mage instead of sorcerer a few times in the Above reply. OOOOPS.
Old 11-22-2000, 09:37 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Think of it this way: your Sorcerer is like an artillery mage, he may appear to be flexible but he is actually very limited in what he can do because he can't learn that many spells. But what he can do he can do DAMN well. So he's best used as a support battlemage (kinda hard if he's the main character) to pummel the enemy with damage causing spells like AbiDalzims, Cloudkill, Disintegrate, Finger of Death, etc etc.

True mages have more true flexibility because they have a wider repertoire of spells and can react to different situation by using the all-important REST button and memorizing a spell for a specific situation.

If a thief could dual class into a sorcerer you would have a really good combo.
Old 11-23-2000, 07:05 AM   #5
Golem Master

I am a sorceror myself, only I can memorize more spells, and if you use the shadowkeeper you can take it up to a maximum of 25 spells per level. The advantage of it is that you can choose of all of your spells in your spellbook you know.Just make sure you have an extremely high intelligence and wisdom and voila

Old 11-23-2000, 08:33 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Um, but that would be called cheating, not that there's anything wrong with that! Oh well, I've beaten the game twice so I guess I'm entitled to cheat. I'll just pretend that it's Bhaal's unholy blood coursing through my veins that is maximizing my access to the Weave...
Old 11-23-2000, 09:24 AM   #7
Armisael

Yeah, but giving yourself 25 mem slots in each spell level kinda detracts from the gaming experience. The most low-down, devious cheating I've done (not counting re-adding Hendak or any of a multitude of other NPCs) has been changing the colour of my clothes to match Jan's. Very satisfying.

Old 11-23-2000, 09:37 AM   #8
Armisael

While I'm around, I think I'll have a go at explaining sorcerers.
The advantage of sorcerers is the easy part; they get a maximum spell usage for each spell level. At level 17, a sorcerer can cast 6 level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 spells, and 4 level 8 spells, and they're free to mix and match their casting however they want - i.e., they don't have to decide which spells they're going to cast and memorize them the night before, they can use any combination of spells. The disadvantage of sorcerers is that they can only learn a very limited amount of spells, which are chosen at the beginning of each level. At level 17, a sorcerer will know 5 level 1 and 2 spells, 4 level 3, 4 and 5 spells, 3 level 6 and 7 spells and 2 level 8 spells. That's not much. If you choose your spells wisely, you could end up with a spellcaster that can cast 3 Abi-Dalzim's wiltings and 6 fingers of death in a single battle. I still prefer mages, though. Oft-times those spells you don't think you'll need come in handy. I suppose a combination of sorcerer and mage would be favourite.

Old 11-23-2000, 11:01 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I think we all agree that the Sorcerer's main problem is a lack of flexibility stemming from a limited repertoire of spells as well as being constrained to cast x no. of spells per level rather than being able to cast a TOTAL number of spell levels. Armisael tell me your thoughts on this and whether or not you think it would unbalance the game:

Say you have a level 1 sorcerer who normally could cast 5 level 1 spells. Rather than looking at things that way, just say he can cast a TOTAL of just 1 or 2 spell levels, and the highest level he can cast would be 1. As he increases in levels his TOTAL number of possible spell levels to cast would also increase, as well as the highest level possible for him. So at level 17 he might be able to cast a total of 130 or so spell levels and be able to cast up to level 8 spells. This would add true flexibility to the class as they would then not be restricted by how many spells PER LEVEL they can cast, if they want to cast 10 AbiDalzims in a row they could but that would use up 80 spell levels and they would only have 50 left after that.

Comments?
Old 11-23-2000, 11:18 AM   #10
Armisael

Argh, my brain shuts down at around 2 am. Interesting idea, I think it would work if the number of spell levels to be cast was worked out evenly. I also think the sorcerer is a reasonably balanced class already; it's just that it doesn't have the utilarian aspect of the mage, and a lot of people simply try to replace the mage with the sorcerer, which I don't think would work at all. It'd be easy to make the mage completely redundant by upping the amount of spells a sorcerer can learn.