Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 11-16-2003, 03:22 PM   #11
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Excerpts from a cemetery caretaker’s diary

…At last – after almost a year of journeying Bilbump and I came to what is seemingly a new haven. The small village of Valeia – situated by the tranquil Nymph Lake. A most marvellous place. Perhaps this is where we can finally settle down again. Uh-oh the candle that the nice innkeeper gave us is almost burnt down. Have to go now, dear diary.

…The old haggard village elder Gareth whom I have been telling you about earlier has given Bilbump and me a most wonderful proposal. It seems that the job as the cemetery caretaker over at Bersault has recently fallen vacant. He offered Bilbump and me to take the job. I admit it has not been all that bad walking in the sun the past year, but my Stout heritage does not fail me, and I yearn to get underground again.

…Gareth showed us our new working quarters today. Ooh, the cemetery has the most intriguing crypt, I tell you. It has the old comfy feeling of being underground and with artificial light being the only light source. But at the same time it is cold and damp – the walls are slick with moist. I rather admit I have come to like it. Being at my age I can now do without the perpetual heat of the old mines. There is one catch, though. It is full of rats. I hate rats.

…Bilbump and I made us an office inside the crypt. It is right in the centre of the crypt, and from here we can survey the four magnificent heroes’ tombs. That of Arthos, that of Nivius, that of Mastus, and that of the unknown hero. Also it is not far from the chamber of F’Lokis Ra. I tell you that is the most magnificently preserved mummy I have ever seen. He is rumoured to have come from a place in a desert far away beyond the Lost Sea.

…Gareth guided us through the mausoleum. It is a great hall of magnificent splendour. It is perfectly designed with beautiful marble walls. Gareth showed us an annex cellar room. I tell you that was spooky. That was the tomb of an old madman called Rumphy. His ghost still haunts the room. But if one makes a ring of candles around the spot where he is buried he cannot leave the place. Still he gives me the creeps. The eyes of the partially opaque spectre burn with malice. Brrrr.

…In connection with the crypt there is also an asylum. The asylum is situated across an underground moat with piranhas to prevent its inhabitants to flee. Here the mad and contageous people of Bersault were placed by the time of the great disaster. There is only a handful of them left, and from what I hear they do not pose a threat to anyone. However, they are old and have been here for so long that they refuse to leave. We cannot go there due to the quarantine regulations. There is an old monk from the Brotherhood of Promise who visits the inhabitants every week and brings them food. He is a fine fellow, he is. He has made a small chapel in the chamber above F’Lokis Ra, where he conducts his sevices. He showed me a ring he has got. He calls it the Ring of Saints. He says that is what keeps him from being infected. It glows eerily.

…Bilbump and I had a visitor today. From home. He said he had heard we had settled down here, and decided to pay us a visit now that he was in the neighbourhood. It seems that Freyedies that took over after Brinbath is doing a good job as King. I was so pleased to hear that. Poor Brinbath – he was completely driven mad. I hear the mines where the graveyard was found have now been abandoned. Apparently something in the air was what drove Brinbath and the others mad. Some of the insane miners still live down there we were told.

…We had our first funeral in the crypt today. Most people are laid to rest up in the graveyard, but people of certain reverence are buried inside the crypt. Apparently it is the counsil of elders at Valeia who decide who get to be buried down here. Anyway, it was sad to behold the young chap who was being laid to rest. His long blonde hairs lay in tatters on the litter. Algamesh was his name. Rumour has it that he was killed because he dared to oppose a sect of serpent worshipping fanatics far to the north along the Snake River. His fiancée was present during the funeral. She was absolutely devastated. Apparently she is the local miller. I suppose a human would call her very beautiful though she clearly did not have the short stubbiness and other graces of Stout women.

…Bilbump and I were down at the jetty helping the the monk ferry himself over the moat to the asylum. I do not want to say anything to Bilbump, but I can see that he clearly has problems pushing the boat and carrying crates. I guess a long life of labouring in the mines and now here is finally taking its toll on him.

…Today was Bilbump’s last day at work. Ever since he told me he was going to retire I have looked forward to this day with both joy and sadness. Joy, because he can finally enjoy a life of leisure. Sadness, because I am going to miss him down here. He has taken over the house in the clearing of the woods outside the cemetery, so we will see each other often.

…A very odd fellow turned up at the crypt last night and demanded access to the asylum. He introduced himself as Scabban from the League of Sorcery. I did not like him at all. When I told him that quarantine regulations prohibited him from going there he made some very threatening gestures and told that he was in the closing stages of an experiment which would benefit the inhabitants of the asylum, and that it was only the narrow minds of people like myself who prevented him from bringing about a contagion which would render the phenomenon of death meaningless. I dared not stop him – I could see in his eyes that he was not afraid to kill me if I did not comply. I can still remember his words when he ferried himself over the moat: “Yes, yes, yes, yes”.

…The old monk is dead. He went over to the asylum with food for the two remaining inhabitants in the morning, and in the evening I found his corpse washed up by the landing stage on the moat. The piranhas had done their part to render his corpse unrecognizable. Apparently his heart had just stopped beating. The whole Brotherhood of Promise was present at his funeral. They were all vehemently discussing the old monk’s Ring of Saints which they had been unable to retrieve. It was not on his body.

…I have seen Scabban again. One day he came strolling past my office with four young apprentices. I wonder if they know what is in store for them. Probably nothing pleasant - I can tell by Scabban’s menacing “Yes, yes, yes, yes”. I wonder if he had anything to do with the monk’s death?

…I dropped my keys. They were attached to my bauble stick when they suddenly fell off. I also lost the crystal key to F’Lokis Ra’s room. I cannot reach them. Without them I am unable to unlock the main entrance door, and my food supply is dwindling. I hope Bilbump finds me soon.

…My food supply is gone. I have eaten it all. I have eaten it, yes I have. Bilbump… where are you? If you ever read these lines, know that I love you like a brother, and know that we shall meet in the great mine on the other side. And as for that, dear diary, I guess that is about it. I have enjoyed having you to divulge my thoughts to. You have been a good companion. Woe, to die with the squeaking of the rats being the last sound I hear. Goodbye!

…I know I have not written in some times, dear diary. I… I have begun to eat rats. I caught the first one up in the upper catacombs. It tasted awful. I put it on a spike and roasted it over a fire. You should have heard its squeaking. It was quite awful, yes it was. Hmm, yes. And then… I… I… (I will tell you if you promise not to tell anyone, dear diary). I saw something. At least that is what I think… It was out in the hall of heroes. I can survey the hall from the barred window in the office, but I cannot go there. I lost my keys, did I tell you? Anyway, I saw… It was only for a brief moment, and the light was dim… I saw a creature of some sort. It looked like a lump of mud. It moved quickly, and it had eyes. It was quite scary… Or perhaps it was not there. I am not sure, you see, dear diary, I have had many odd thoughts since I started eating rats. I have started eating rats, did I tell you?

…I have rather begun to like rats, they pose quite an intellectual challenge to catch, they actually taste very well, their fur is a delicacy, and their sinews can be used as first class dental floss. I rather like rats, did I tell you? I start to think that I have always liked rats… Ever since I lost my keys… I lost my keys, did I tell you?

…Bilbump came by today. It was nice to see the old sod. It was quite a peculiar experience to breathe fresh air again. It was evening and it was raining. The graveyard smelled of mould and decay. Bilbump gave me his key to the main entrance. Tomorrow we will bring in the blacksmith from Valeia to construct a mechanism to enable one to open the door by nudging one of the statues outside. It was nice to see Bilbump again, did I tell you?

…The rain has fallen incessantly for several weeks now. The water seeps through the ground and down into the moat. The water level has risen in the hall of heroes and in the hallway outside my office. The water has almost reached the floor level of my office. My keys are now submerged. They will probably rust. I dropped my keys, did I tell you?

…I saw Mud Man again yesterday. He was lurking in the shadows beyond the grate in the Statue chamber. He stared at me intently and mumbled “Yes, yes, yes, yes”. I offered him a rat, but he turned away and left. I did not mind that. Then I had the rat to myself. I like rats, did I tell you?

…I had quite a feast yesterday. Alone of course… Feasting requires good food… Rats. And I cannot make Bilbump eat them. I cannot fathom why. I love rats, did I tell you. I peeled a rat recently and made a lucky charm out of its skull. I always carry it on me. There are not many rats left, though. I think I more or less ate them all. What a pity. I love rats, did I tell you?

…Bilbump came by the other day. He brought me a rat pie. Ooh it was delicious. The rats down here have become scarce lately, did I tell you? Bilbump was very agitated. He had been attacked by a skeleton up in the graveyard. He had chased it off though, but something very wrong is afoot, I tell you.

…The water levels have ceased to rise. But they are not exactly receding either. Bilbump’s visit have been fewer and far between after the attack. I also saw a walking skeleton behind the grates today. Over in Mud Man Land. I cannot go there, though. I lost my keys, did I tell you? My rat supply is now dwindling, and with Bilbump’s rat pies so far between, I wonder if I shall eventually have to eat “proper food”, as Bilbump calls it, again. I love rats, did I tell you?.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:04 PM   #12
Norin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Good one bsftcs, "did I tell you" is always a classic!
Old 11-16-2003, 07:57 PM   #13
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Thank you, I am glad you like it. I have tried making the diary entries reflect Rethpian's slowly growing more and more weird. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2003, 11:29 AM   #14
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Did I tell you .... Most excellently done, bsftcs!!!

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:43 PM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Double [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] Very nice, and a nice progression towards dementia! I stand in awe of your skill with the written word.. way to go!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:36 PM   #16
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Thank you all for your kind reviews. [img]smile.gif[/img] I really appreciate it. [img]smile.gif[/img]