Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 11-23-2003, 05:15 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I'd actually expected Collasium to be the hardest dungeon so far, as the natural progression in the game would imply, but found the only major difficulty to be finding the third piece and logically understanding both the rotating room and the room requiring the two gem pieces at the end.
In general, it was a smooth, pleasant bit of sight seeing!
Was quite surprised to find that Lord Cet hadn't any dire minions under the water waiting for me...particularly compared to the vile dark deathtrap that was Anephas' Shrine.

But yes, after my surprisingly hastefully sucessful and picturesque roamings around the Underwater City to allocate the the three tablets, I started my final quest and ultimate journey towards Cet's Pyramid....

Not having picked up all of the teleportation spells, I decided to go semi-full of treasure from Collasium, just to take an anxious peek of what lies within.... [img]graemlins/egypt.gif[/img]

That little peek, turned into half an hour of fleeing, ghastly mummified grins, and an especially fraught white eyed hack and zap fest. When I came to the sad fate of what would have to be my favourite NPC in the game, G'Ezzered Ra, I gibbered a dirgeful moan and clenched my fist in a steadfast will to punish Cet and conquer his final challenges.

Argh but how it all seems temporarily in vain!
I had an encounter with Cet and Kerah at the Portal of Isis where Kerah is momentarily possessed. However, during the small battle with Kerah, I started to experience my first batch of crashes and freezing within the game, which has left me with no choice but having to reset my computer. I can still utilise the mouse, but everything just freezes and I can't even Alt-Tab out of the game.

It has happened at least four times in this dungeon, others were during a fight with some fire hounds and one of those Firelords. I started saving every two minutes of progress but as this became more tedious and the crashes increased in their evil tumult, I tried to calm down and to rationally think of my options: : [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

A) Install the patch. I don't really want to but, as I've gotten this far without it! I'm not entirely certain of what other effects it might have on my game...
But if I have to, I shall patch to fix this unholy Cettian plot to stop me winning!

B) Reinstall the game, doing a full install. I only did a partial one and it has started to result in a few lockups during this dungeon as the cd-rom attempts to keep up with the game data.

C) Mope languidly in a dank pit eternally [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

D) Burn the game! Its a witch! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

E) Ask for help at the ever ready friendly forum! [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

I won't be touching the game again until I'm certain the plan of attack shall see me through the game! I might start by a browsing of the best tips sections...

Despondent cheers,
Cerebrodragon

[ 11-23-2003, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Ah CerebroDragon, instead of cursing Cet and this wonderful game I believe you should happy instead. Happy, of course, that you have now finally found a worthy adversary. Cet has by now realized that he may very well be unable to beat you in face to face combat, so what does he do: He stalls your efforts to reach him by altering the preconditions of the game... He tests your patience by crashing the game, and seemingly he succeeds in stopping your progress. Think about it.

Yes, the sequence where Kerah is possessed usually crashes the game. Sad but true. I have experienced that many times. If your game has crashed elsewhere in the pyramid then that is sheer misfortune on your behalf. That only happens one time in a million. When you get to the sequence where Kerah is possessed then remember Bungleau's tag line. That is the only way out, if you do not want to install the patch (which is deifinitely not necessary). And then: Patience, patience, patience, my friend. Think about how sweet it will be finally taking your anger out on cet. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2003, 01:52 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ah, yes, crashes during confrontation... a well-known problem, and addressed in the Tech Tips thread, I believe.

Simple answer: there's too much going on graphically, which overloads things until your PC dies.

Easiest way out: when the confrontation starts, don't look at it. Instead, turn and face the wall. As close as you can get. That minimizes the graphics display requirements. Then, when it's time, turn around and do something (fight, whatever). When that's done, turn and face the wall again.

Odds are that will let you get past this tricky point. You might also want to make sure you have as little as possible running in the background when you do it, so before starting W&W, close down as much as you can. If you have questions about what you can get rid of or not, ask away.

You *CAN* make it through... it just might be a challenge.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 04:15 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

Strange! I've seen crashes there only very seldom! The only possible reason for no crashes seems to be the software mode: I am running video in software mode because of "greening". Try to switch to software video during the combat.
But there is another problem with this combat. You must not allow Kerah to fly. Otherwise, you will be able to beat her but you won't be able to give her the Holy Water. And you won't be able to get her on the ground. The end. Therefore, once cursed Kerah proclaims loyalty to Cet, jump to her and beat her, beat her, beat her - it's the last moment when she is on the ground safely.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:00 PM   #5
bsftcs
Red Dragon

In fact I have been very succesful in jumping ang giving here the water at the same time when she is in flight...
Old 11-25-2003, 06:47 AM   #6
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Thanks for the feedback and general tips, chaps...

After a day's break from the game, I couldn't bear the suspense any longer and went bezerk by uninstalling the partial game, then did a complete full installation, ensuring to copy the save games just in case Cet's diabolical scheme sucked them away to rpg oblivion. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm pleased to say that this course of action has proven to be successful. No more crashes! During the initial Kerah/Cet encounter, I practically jumped the demonoid version of Kerah before she had a chance to fly and managed to give the holy water hastily enough as well. After saving repeatedly after this, I wiped my brow in relief then went on a marathon session which resulted in me finally completing the game at 8 am this morning. [img]smile.gif[/img]
More thus on this with some general comments in the final report thread which I might start right now...

[ 11-25-2003, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:52 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Yay! Although gaming until 8AM would probably put me over the edge... 'cause my kids would get me back up at 7 [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:02 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Very glad to hear that you managed to get around the Kerah/Cet crash problem!

There have been many players who have had difficulty with that one. To save some players, I actually played through that section of the game for them on my own machine (which never had problems) but that machine is now my son's game machine. I think W&W is still loaded on it, but truthfully, I'm not positive.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 08:34 PM   #9
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Congratulations!

[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

And now, of course, you are going to play the game all over again with the new roles your characters have attained.