Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 10-10-2003, 10:12 AM   #1
free
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi all...i am enjoying the game, nicely.

But i got my first "crash", a lockup!

I was outside of town and had just got off a horse. i noted that i needed to level up two characters, but i did not do it outside of town. i went into the armory and sold and bought, then went to the magic store and joined the wizard guild. then i leveled my characters.

alas...when i clicked on the gate to leave town, the hourglass did its "forever thing", meaning, the game froze!

---probably i 'did too too much at once", probably i should have raised my two characters up the levels outside of town, THEN went inside and sold, then go back out, THEN go get the quest for the wizard.

I am running the game at a minitor resolution of 1028[?] by 700[?], as i have a 19" monitor. i have a good vid card. "true color".
I WINCE when i read somewhere that someone solved their lockup problems by running WW at 16-bit, "high color" at 640 X 460!!!!

perhaps the horse is a no no!
perhaps i should just not "do" so much at once. I DO have a fixed swap file and 356 ram...the game runs fine otherwise!

any suggestions or/and observations, please?!!

thanks...freestone
Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi free,

Fortunately for you, there are much better techies on this board than myself! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I think they will want to know more about your computer than your monitor and video card (those can play into it but OS and other details on your hardware are probably going to be the key to solving the problem).

It should have nothing to do with the horse or how much you had done in the game (do remember to save often though - just a good practice). I suspect that the problem is going to relate to your OS, virtual dub or something similar.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Arrow

I occassionally experience game lock-ups. Maybe the patch fixes this.. not sure. I think bsftcs had a problem that his game froze when he used throwing weapons... I don't think the jam was caused by your actions, free. Sometimes these things happen

Just remember to save frequently, and you'll be fine.

Has anyone else got any ideas?

Moiraine Sedai

EDIT: Geez you type fast, Wyv! Just beat me!

[ 10-10-2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: moiraine sedai ]
Old 10-10-2003, 10:22 AM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I have also experienced that. But as far as I know it is an extremely seldom occurence. I do not think it has anything to do with having done too much in the city. I believe you were just plain unlucky.

But wait until the techies have been online. They might tell you otherwise. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2003, 10:32 AM   #5
free
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyvern:
Hi free,

Fortunately for you, there are much better techies on this board than myself! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I think they will want to know more about your computer than your monitor and video card (those can play into it but OS and other details on your hardware are probably going to be the key to solving the problem).

It should have nothing to do with the horse or how much you had done in the game (do remember to save often though - just a good practice). I suspect that the problem is going to relate to your OS, virtual dub or something similar.

Wyv
system?

win98SE
athlon 1.4
gainward geforece 3
356 ram.
plenty of hd space.

probably time to defrag!! that *might* be a factor!!

yes, patched, the game is....

yes, that might indeed ba a fator, i have played a lot of neverwinter and some of divine divinity and i have not defragged my hd for that time!!

freestone
Old 10-10-2003, 11:28 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

HAve you looked through the Tech Tips thread? We cover crashing in there with a couple of solutions. The first places to start are defrag, unneeded background processes, updated drivers (video, etc.). Directx version can also make a difference -- what one are you using?

The patch has been known to fix a number of problems, so you can try it if you want. I play with it, Wyv doesn't, and we both have people in our camps [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 04:25 PM   #7
Olli Kalma

Hello free!

So you are running game in WIN98.
Did you played long period ( several hours ) or did you do anything else
with your cp, before playing W&W?

I had WIN98 in my old computer and I had several problems after long play.
WIN98 has several projects that it's running same time you are playing.
Some of them are harddrive indexing etc. or just running some other software.
Then it might crash because there's too much things to do for Windows

Also close all other programs when you start to play, Virus scanner, firewalls and other automaticly started programs that you don't need during game.

Hope you be able to play without crashes in future, if not
just come here and we try to figure it out [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2003, 04:39 PM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

I have only one question; has this happened more than once? I mean did youtry to do it one more time? When running the game on Win98 I recommend shutting down ALL applications except 'systray' and 'explorer', but 356Mb RAM should be enough to handle several tasks at once on Win98. The amount of tasks you perform in the game shouldn't make a difference. Scandisk and defrag (NOT the defragger in Win98!!!) is also recommended.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 06:43 AM   #9
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Hi free! (There's a great 70's band of the same name incidentally...)

I also have Win98 installed, but haven't had any problems at all thus far in my Gael Serran explorations and I'm not even running a high end system. I only have an AMD800 with a dodgy S3 Savage on-board vid card! I tend to play sporadically in 2-3 hour sessions. I'm also not running the patch...

The only little minor drama I have sometimes is a short game lock up (1-3 secs) when my cd rom is "catching up". My theory is that it happens because I neglected to do a full install. If your problems persist, and you never did a full install (though I'm guessing you already have) then maybe try that...

Sorry I couldn't help more, but I'd say the Techie Tips will be worth your read!

Cheers,
Cerebrodragon

[ 10-11-2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote