Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2003, 05:24 PM   #21
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
If people would have never taken the bible too seriously, there would have been a lot less bloodshed over the last few centuries.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:23 PM   #22
Masklinn

Quote:
If people would have never taken the bible too seriously, there would have been a lot less bloodshed over the last few centuries.
I don't think so. These bloodshed would have happened anyway, please meet the human kind.
Bible (religion in general) was just a pretext and gave people the reason they wanted : "-Hey, tell me, why do we kill this guy again ? -Just do it, it's allowed by the Holy Book. Look it's explained here and here and here. -Oh ok, thx".
Old 02-22-2003, 08:22 PM   #23
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Oh boy. What about the discrimination here. Freedom of speech only goes so far.
You cant go into a crowd and yell "this is a stick up" joking around, and expect no reprocutions. Just like you cant print slanderous material about blacks, hispanics, jews, christians, athiests, women, whites, etc. etc..
The courts need to govern the media when it comes to opinions about topics such as these. My opinion about gays is not relevent, keeping these slanderous opinions from a nonbiased meium is. If you want to bash gays or the bible, fine, keep it in a subscribed to medium. I would not want my kids, doing a report for his 5th grade homework to read any subjective opinion as a headline.
Report the facts only. Most newspapers have an opinion section to share ideas, or debates.
I think printing an ad or cartoon like this is completely inapropriate and irresposable media.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #24
LordKathen

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Quote:
I don't think so. These bloodshed would have happened anyway, please meet the human kind.
Bible (religion in general) was just a pretext and gave people the reason they wanted : "-Hey, tell me, why do we kill this guy again ? -Just do it, it's allowed by the Holy Book. Look it's explained here and here and here. -Oh ok, thx".
[/QUOTE][img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] You said it.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:31 PM   #25
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

"The Bible can be viewed as hate literature."

Yes it can, but it isn't.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:40 PM   #26
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
That's just not true johnny. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If the Bible hadn't been around for people to use as an excuse, they would have found something other excuse. Maybe it would have been written in the stars instead? The lack of a Bible wouldn't have slowed them down a single, solitary bit.

Osama Bin Laden justifies his insanity by using the Koran (which coincidentally discredits his actions), but if he hadn't had the Koran, he'd have found another justification. Do we really think his religion made him plan the attack of the world trade towers?

What about the KKK? These are white guys who "supposedly" love the Bible, but I'm pretty sure if they'd never seen God's word they'd have "enhanced" their cause another way.

Religion can be abused just like anything else, and it can be misrepresented.

[ 02-22-2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 02-22-2003, 08:42 PM   #27
Masklinn

Quote:

Sorry, it can and sometimes it is.

When I read "An eye for an eye" then, yeah, I view this as hate litterature.

Fortunately Jesus came later to show the other cheek [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2003, 08:42 PM   #28
LordKathen

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

Not by you, but by someone who is gay, I would say yes. Also, witch interpretation are we going to take here? Yours, mine, King James, Hebrew?
Just one of the many points about religion that I will never understand, interpretation. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2003, 08:46 PM   #29
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Quote:

Sorry, it can and sometimes it is.

When I read "An eye for an eye" then, yeah, I view this as hate literature.

Fortunately Jesus came later to show the other cheek [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]An "eye for a eye" as HATE literature? Maybe unpopular, but exactly what group does it breed hate for?

EDIT - I reiterate my point... it can be viewed as hate literature, but it isn't.

[ 02-22-2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 02-22-2003, 08:48 PM   #30
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

Not by you, but by someone who is gay, I would say yes. Also, witch interpretation are we going to take here? Yours, mine, King James, Hebrew?
Just one of the many points about religion that I will never understand, interpretation. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Interpretations are a problem. The truest version is the original writing, and because of this there are and have been problems with interpretation.