Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 12-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Just got me a copy of NWN2 for Christmas, and I'm looking forward to playing it with a friend online. While I wait to get a new video card in order to play, I've been thinking about the class I'll pick. My only experience in the genre is IWD 1 and 2 and BG 1, 2, and ToB, as well as PS:T. Never played NWN1.

A few questions:

My friend and I are probably going to duo this. Is this possible, or should we get a full party?

In IWD2, as some people know, I was a nut about multiclassing. My favorite creation was a ranger1/paladin2/rogue1/mageX drow, which gave me all the casting I ever wanted, melee power, immunity to fear, dual wield, and enough rogue capabilities to support a party. I know this won't work in NWN2 (cap at 20, ranger dual wield at 2, paladin fear immunity at 3, etc) but I'd still like something along the spellsword line. Obviously, the eldritch knight prestige class looks nice to me. Would a Paladin3/Sorcerer7/EK10 work? How about a fighter2/mage8/EK10? In general, does EK work as a prestige class, or will I wind up being a wannabe mage with a sword?

I'm intrigued by warlocks, but I've always enjoyed versatility and they seem to be very 1-dimensional, just spam Eldritch Blast with different effects added to them. Am I reading them wrong, or are they simply an all-out damage class with little use elsewhere?

Finally, what kind of fights can I expect to get into in NWN2? I enjoyed holding off swarms of enemies in IWD2 using fireballs and such, is this similar to what happens in NWN2? Or should I be worried about single powerful enemies instead?

Thanks in advance!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

i find the arcane spell casters to be underpowered so adding them to a multiclass character is almost certainly going to make them weaker in some aspects.

but anyhow to answer your question: i believe no matter how 'weak' your build is, you can beat the official campaign simply by choosing companions that offer the strengths your main character lacks. There are some spots which may become more difficult to be since you are required to complete them solo but you should be able to do them with various 1 time use items/potions. Through much of the game you will be faced with a large group of weak enemies sometimes bolstered by a couple of strong ones.

Warlocks are a very simple class to play, and in the grand scheme of things do less damage per round than many other classes. what they seem to offer really is the ability to just keep going - you do not need to rest because you have no limits on the number of castings you can do and you can both heal yourself and damage your enemies.

They have added a limit to the number of skill points you can save up between levels, so you can no longer save up all of your points to put into your single level of rogue. So in order to get decent rogue skills you will need more than one level in that class.

As always, the monk seems to be the most powerful class, but because of the new races and new prestige class combinations you can now make some very powerful class combinations which almost equal a monks power. for example i recently went with a 10 paladin 10 divine champion and since i chose a drow i have very high saving throws, spell resistance, and AC. (with paladin buffs i am 43 AC 40 save fort 30 save will 33 save reflex) of course i do not have improved evasion so i will take half damage from things but ah well im pretty sure there is an item in the game with evasion on it.
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
My friend and I are probably going to duo this. Is this possible, or should we get a full party?
It's possible but I heard it's bugged. Even then, I'd try it. Do note that NPC's are 'forced' on to you.

Quote:
Would a Paladin3/Sorcerer7/EK10 work? How about a fighter2/mage8/EK10? In general, does EK work as a prestige class, or will I wind up being a wannabe mage with a sword?
They would both work, but the mage would get higher level spells. Basically, the EK is a warrior/mage with a lower level mage class.

Quote:
Am I reading them wrong, or are they simply an all-out damage class with little use elsewhere?
Nope, I have no idea why this class was introduced anyway.

Quote:
Finally, what kind of fights can I expect to get into in NWN2?
Easy fights. Expect fireballs to add some fun, but not be necessary.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
The.Relic
Red Dragon

In BG2 I played as a Kensai, so when NWN came out I made the transition to the Monk. Monks do shine at the higher levels, but they really do struggle for a while. They do have the best saves of any non multied class and gain some incredible free feats as they progress, but they definately need tank protection for a while. Since their primary stat is wisdom for AC bonus, stunning, and hmm, do we get "Quievering Palm" in NWN2"? Secondary stat is Dex which again aids in their AC, but those benefits are to help offset the fact that Monks can't wear armor of any kind, and the best Monk garb doesn't offer the benefits of enchanted full plate, for example. So the Monk does have a better than average AC early on, but will still get taken out quickly without a tank around.
The other real setback of the early Monk is that since they depend on high wisdom and strong dex, their strength is usually 2 to 4 points lower than their dex, so they need to find strenght enhancing items and carry alot of "Bulls strength" potions, which are often difficult to come by. So most Monks end up having to take "Weopons Finesse", to help their relatively pathetic to-hit and damage potential in the early stages. And "Weopon Finesse" dex based hits don't do as much damage as strength based hits. So if you do decide to play a Monk, you have to be patient and keep them protected until they become a viable threat in their own right.
I will usually take one level of "Shadowdancer" for the "Hide in plain sight" feat.
In NWN2 my baby Monk was continuously getting served up on a platter, even with Khelgar there to help, and without weopon finesse, he was missing more than he was hitting. It wasn't until Elanee came into my party with her buffing spells that my newbie Monk could finally start kicking tail and taking initials because he was too busy to take names.

[ 12-26-2006, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: The.Relic ]
The.Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for the comments!

I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that arcane casters aren't awesome like they were in, say, BG2. Still, I'll probably go with the paladin/sorcerer/EK for the CHA synergy.

As for party makeup, could you tell me how many NPCs are "forced" onto me? (Without spoilers, please). I'm afraid that the game will be too easy with two minds and a full party. Or by "forced" do you mean similarly to KOTOR, where you get the NPCs and chose which to take?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Drow Paladins make baby Jesus cry.

I'm thinking of doing a Ranger, like I did in BG1 and 2. Good class in NWN? Is there a good multi-class or prestige combo for them?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #7
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Drow Paladins make baby Jesus cry.

I'm thinking of doing a Ranger, like I did in BG1 and 2. Good class in NWN? Is there a good multi-class or prestige combo for them?
I think the new rangers are MUCH better. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Go with the archery option for the ranger and do a ranger/mage(1)/arcane archer prestige class build. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Heh, I never said I could justify the mix =P.

The arcane archer does look pretty sexy...

Hey, I've been reading over the manual. Is it just me, or does the Red Dragon Disciple prestige class just plain suck?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Hey, I've been reading over the manual. Is it just me, or does the Red Dragon Disciple prestige class just plain suck?
It's just you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, the RDD isn't for everyone. But it definitely does not suck. Look at the stat boosts again.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
quote:
It's just you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, the RDD isn't for everyone. But it definitely does not suck. Look at the stat boosts again.
[/QUOTE]Did I miss the part where they get to continue learning spells? It seems like multiclassing the sorcerer or bard to a fighter, but wouldn't the eldritch knight be better for that? I do suppose the stat increases are pretty good... just seems a bit melee-heavy for a prestige class only available to casters. Maybe it would be nice for a bard.

Oh well, goes to show how much I don't know yet. I'm getting the video card today hopefully, we'll see if this noob gets anywhere.