Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2002, 05:18 PM   #1
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

Something strange happened last night when playing. While speaking with the Oracles of Ishad Na I heard what sounded like a witch's cackle. The game was sitting idle for a few minutes while I read pieces of text regarding their conversation with me and I heard one of them "cackle". Kinda cool, but I went on.proceeding to the Serpent Temple.

Along the way I met the Heretic and while I was speaking with him I clicked on a few different buttons (once on a conversation topic and again on a character's "talk" button). When I did this I heard the Oracles laugh again! It then occured again while in the Serpent's Temple exploring. Always when clicking on a character's menu button it seems (e.g. USE, CARRY, TALK, etc).

Has this happened to anyone else??? Very strange...

frosty
frostg1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:31 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi frosty!

Oh, I seem to recall someone else report some laughing though they didn't associate it with the oracles. I figured it was Cet laughing (given what the player had just done, very unsavorish wosname).

Still a very interesting event! Hope some others will try to make it happen too!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 06:17 PM   #3
Xignal
Drizzt Do'Urden

I've had those witches cackle - and it usually only happens after your party has been standing there waist-deep in cold water for several minutes. Guess I don't blame the Oracles for laughing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

Hi guys!

Yep, it did happen when I was standing there in the water, but what is weird is it kept happening after I got to the Serpent Temple even. That was a bit strange. I even exited the game and played for another 10 minutes and it did it again. I hope my save game is not corrupt or something. That would really be bad!

Wyv, you said someone else had this happen as well ...was this during the Oracle conversation or after they had left the Oracles?

Thanks!!!

frosty

Quote:
Originally posted by Xignal:
I've had those witches cackle - and it usually only happens after your party has been standing there waist-deep in cold water for several minutes. Guess I don't blame the Oracles for laughing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2002, 07:08 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

This is the day to really point out how bad my memory is getting, isn't it?

As I "recall" - it was in a completely different part of the game. The player had just done something that was totally against the oath they had sworn way back in the Crypt, and they heard laughing. My explanation was that Cet was laughing because they were being "evil", so he was winning!

If search ever gets back up and running, perhaps we could ferret it out.

Wyv
Old 03-26-2002, 08:52 AM   #6
the_young_one
Manshoon

Hmm.. I know that if you decide to wipe out the stouts and loot all the treasure then you get to hear Cet's evil cackle.. I didn't know that that could also happen elsewhere in the game. It shouldn't be a problem though..
the_young_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 12:30 PM   #7
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

So does Cet's laugh sound like the witch's cackle?

I first heard it when standing there with the Oracles so I thought it was one of them laughing.

It then happened again when I was speaking with Kol the Heretic (think that is his name). It's possible I asked him about Cet and that is when the laugh came, but I can't recall for sure...I was in conversation when it happened.

I cannot tell you all how much I love this game. I am still patiently making my way through it, but I haven't played something this fun since Ultima Underworld many years ago. I buy probably 15 games per year and have only finished a handful over the years. I keep coming back to this one though. Something about the "dungeon master" narrative, the uniqueness of dungeons, the imaginitive design of the dungeons and the world at large, etc. I am especially impressed by the voice acting!

I sincerely hope that a sequel is made. Why is it that games like this never receive their due credit? It is so much better than many of the mass marketed games out there.

Thanks for this forum...I really enjoy it and I cannot wait for the new server!

frosty

[ 03-26-2002, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: frostg1ant ]
Old 03-26-2002, 01:13 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I have no idea if Cet sounds like the witches - I haven't heard any such laughing in my games.

It's fun to collect information about these "odd little happenings". They add a lot to the ambience of the whole world.

I believe originally the designers did plan to include "consequences" for those who strayed away from the oath sworn so early in the game but maybe it is just as well that got left out. Let players decide for themselves which path to take.

fosty - I used to buy a lot of games each year and only finish a few (or none). In recent years, I hardly buy any games at all. W&W was a great treat, a game I really enjoyed!!

The real pity is this game is far better than the reviewers made it out to be which unfavorably affected the sales. If the sales had been good, as they really should have been, HP would probably already be working on a sequel. Makes you wonder what "real" service reviewers provide the gaming public.

Wyv
Old 03-26-2002, 03:02 PM   #9
frostg1ant
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the reply Wyv. Yep, it is fun and I agree it does add more to the wonder of the game. It has so many little perks that even some of the "bugs" are charming. I will post back if I can replicate the noise again and determine a correlation.

As for the games' sales...Yes, it is very unfortunate. I think so many game reviewers these days are moved emotionally on flash and framerates rather than style and substance. However, didn't DW say that he was considering a sequel at some point? We can only hope that he does...

BTW, am I the only one that jumped out of his chair when the serpent statue guarding the coin bank bit me in the head? Yowza! Scared the life out of me...my 4 year old was watching and he hates snakes! This game can definitely startle you at times...I will never forget spilling my pop when I turned around in the crypt and came face to face with 4 skeletons standing right behind me in a previously empty corridor. Gah!

LOL!

frosty
Old 03-26-2002, 04:27 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Hi frosty!

On the subject of "reviewers":
I posted the following information on this board long ago but I think it is worth repeating. A long time friend of mine used to write for Computer Gaming World and used to write the CRPG reviews, a professional. She wrote up a review (not for CGW, she had left by that point) for W&W and basically slammed the game. Well, fine. I never take reviews seriously anyways. I had the opportunity in December of 2000 to talk to her at length about many games including W&W. It was obvious to me that inspite of the bugs and other annoyances that she sighted in her review, that she *enjoyed* the game! So here we have a good example of a professional reviewer feeling motivated on one hand to slam the game (which may have caused people to not buy the game) while personally and perhaps in retrospect enjoying the game. hmmmm
I've always taken reviews with a huge grain of salt. Unless I follow a particular reviewer for a very long period of time to get to know their personal biases, it's all just so much fodder and doesn't influence whether I will try a game or not. I wonder how true that is for other gamers. How many of them are influenced by the reviews and the ratings posted on so many sites these days. That might be a good topic for a new thread here!

I too had moments when the game "startled" me. KEWL!!!

Wyv