Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2001, 10:15 PM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

I am getting ready to start an all-good party, and am thinking about who I should use as warriors in this party (good has so many choices as warriors). I am already planning to include the following members:

Anomen (may be neutral when you get him, but he turns good later)
Aerie (backup cleric and mage)
Nalia (will end up being both mage and thief until I replace with Imoen)

I am planning on playing a wild mage (I added ToB), so this leaves 2 slots to fill with warriors. Here are the choices:

Minsc: a good front-line fighter, decent archer
Keldorn: great front-line fighter, poor archer
Valygar: adds backstabbing to party (nice), but only decent in melee or range
Mazzy: great archer, poor front-line fighter

Factors to consider:
1. This party is hurting for missile weapons (Anomen is the best ranged attacker, with his specialization in slings)

2. No backstabbing in party (why would I even try with Nalia?), but does not necessarily need to be a big tactic in this party

3. Anomen and Keldorn both have bad dexterity scores, and there is only one dexterity boosting item available.

4. I could potentially use Anomen as the main front-line fighter, but really don't want to (hard to cast cleric spells in combat, since they are slow). I fully intend to use him as a backup.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 07-20-2001, 11:05 PM   #2
THE MASEMASTER
Elite Waterdeep Guard

check out page 40 & 41 in the BGII SoA game manual A one man MULTI-PLAYER game
see SERIAL (null modem) on page 41 start a game and create your own team members

------------------
IS IT FRIDAY YET !!
Old 07-20-2001, 11:17 PM   #3
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Go with Minsc and Mazzy. Minsc is good as both tank and archer and a laugh as well. Mazzy becomes a very good tank as she is a pure fighter. Give her a strength enhancing item and proficiencies in halberds and she'll kick butt. Keldorns only advantage is using holy avenger and Valygar isn't strong enough or armoured enough to be a front line fighter.

------------------
visit www.zipworld.com.au/~wsgs
Old 07-21-2001, 12:58 AM   #4
trux

Backstabbing is not absolutely necessary, so I would say screw Valygar. Keldorn is the only NPC who can weild some of the coolest swords in the game (Carsoymr and Holy Avenger,) so I would seriously consider him.

But something else to consider is a character who can aid your other party members. Specifically, your inclusion of Aerie comes to mind. She's a good cleric/mage, but is so very very weak and can get smashed in a fight quick. Including Minsc in this party would add a measure of protection to Aerie in the party (won't say exactly why because there's no need to spoil, but you'll see if you don't already know.)

I never usually include Mazzy in my party, but if it were me playing I would put her in over Anomen any day (though it looks as if you need the extra healing prowess of Anomen.)

------------------
--
trux
Old 07-21-2001, 01:25 AM   #5
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Keldorns only advantage is holy avenger? Well, even assuming thats true, its a pretty big advantage. 50% magic resistance is a fairly nice perk. But Keldorn's built in True Sight and Dispel Magic(at twice his level!), even his Prot. from Evil perks are very nice as well. True Sight is essential later in the game, and it saves spell slots your mage would have wasted on it. And immunity from charm, hold person are great too. Also for beginning parties his starting equipment (sword + armor) is quite powerful. And (no spoilers) paladins gain a very useful power in ToB. I'd pick Keldorn over Mazzy, or Korgan (Korgan is a total b*tch, leaves the party all the time if rep is over 10 or so)
Old 07-21-2001, 02:08 PM   #6
hazard
Dungeon Master

I wouldnt create your own team members, you are going to miss out on side quests, dialouge etc.

I would go with Minsc and Keldorn. Minsc is good with longbows.

Keldorn ... is Keldorn. He has the inquisitor version of dispel magic, truesite, holy avenger etc.

When I look for 'front line' fighters, I dont consider missile weapon use too heavily. The purpose of a font line fighter is to be standing toe-to-toe with the enemy. I think Minsc and Keldorn are your best options for that.

And as I mentioned, Minsc is/can be pretty handy with a longbow.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:47 PM   #7
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by hazard:
I wouldnt create your own team members, you are going to miss out on side quests, dialouge etc.

I would go with Minsc and Keldorn. Minsc is good with longbows.

Keldorn ... is Keldorn. He has the inquisitor version of dispel magic, truesite, holy avenger etc.

When I look for 'front line' fighters, I dont consider missile weapon use too heavily. The purpose of a font line fighter is to be standing toe-to-toe with the enemy. I think Minsc and Keldorn are your best options for that.

And as I mentioned, Minsc is/can be pretty handy with a longbow.
Hmmm...from all of the responses, I can definitely say that Valygar is out. I would say that I am tempted to try Mazzy (I have never used her before, but that grandmastery in shortbow is tempting...). Keldorn is, of course, a powerhouse. It might be tempting to dump Minsc and add Mazzy and Keldorn. This would give one powerhouse front line fighter, and one bad-ass archer. Then again, Mazzy seems not to be too great in melee, so it is tempting to grab Minsc (since he can use bows; I guess I could give him bracers of archery to make up some of the difference between him and Mazzy in that department). I'll still take some feedback from this post, just to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

------------------

Death is only the beginning...
Old 07-21-2001, 10:17 PM   #8
Nerull
Lord Ao

bump
Old 07-22-2001, 09:39 AM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

bump