Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-20-2001, 03:41 PM   #1
DavidL
Dungeon Master

I'm not quite done with BG yet, so I've got some time before I start BGII. But I was wondering if you had to keep the characters you used throughout BG. There seem to be so many more choices in terms of classes and feats in BGII. If not, can you start a new character from scratch, and how well do those characters fare in the game? (BTW--What level should I be at when I finish BG? I'm in BG now, and my Invoker just topped 40K XP)

Are there any classes preferable to others? Any to avoid outright?

TIA

David
Old 08-20-2001, 03:46 PM   #2
Bain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

if you can import your bg char you should especailly for a mage, that way you get the cool spells that he had written ect, plus whaterver tombs you found along the way. Bg1 cap is 89k, tales of sword coast bumb it up to 160k, or if you got an ex cap remover, only thing is that there are new char kits and a couple new classes to choose from in bg2 but if you wanted to go still with an invoker then you may as well jsut export/import it
Old 08-20-2001, 03:51 PM   #3
trux

Doesn't BGII allow you to pick your class again when you import from BGI? I don't really know about this 'cause I never imported my character, just started a new one.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-20-2001, 03:55 PM   #4
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

All those new classes are called kits. In 3rd edition rules, you'd call them Prestige Classes. Classes that branch off of the originals. For example:

You play a Fighter through BG1 and TotSC. You import your Fighter into BG2, and have the option of a Fighter Kit (Beserker, Kensai, can't remember the other one). The Kits have advantages and disadvantages (I think there are a few that only have advantages), that affect your character. You also reassign checks to your proficencies.

I'm not sure about importing Mages, but you might have to choose Spells again. I know that Thieves must resign points into their Thieving abilities. A few items that you bring from BG1 appear throughout the game in BG2, otherwise, they would not appear if you start from BG2 alone. A few classes cannot be transferred. Those are Barbarian and Sorcerer. Also, a race, Half-Orc, must be made from BG2. You must start from BG2 if you want the race or two classes. I'm pretty sure that's about it..
Old 08-20-2001, 04:49 PM   #5
oldbittercraig
Elminster

thanks for the heads up. I've never played BG and was going to borrow it from a friend this week. I've grown accustomed to the cool kits and knowing that I can shift to win after "graduating" BG takes a load off of my mind.
Old 08-20-2001, 05:29 PM   #6
Legolas the Elven Archer

If you import a mage from BG1 to BG2, you'll lose all your spells and only get to pick a couple of new ones. It's a shame, but let's just say your captor stole your book... ...sigh...

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 08-21-2001, 02:15 AM   #7
Crusader
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You can make a new character in bg2 thats why there are so many new classes, or you can import your character from bg1. i have never finished bg1 so i'm not sure what level you should be when you beat it but i would think around level 8?
since that's the level you start at in bg2 (or is it level 7?)

------------------
Butt Kicking for Goodness!
Old 08-21-2001, 02:18 AM   #8
trux

It's fun to play through BG without all the fancy new kits. I'm planning on going through BG again as soon as my friend is done with it.

------------------
a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 08-23-2001, 10:53 AM   #9
DEADMAN
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusader:
You can make a new character in bg2 thats why there are so many new classes, or you can import your character from bg1. i have never finished bg1 so i'm not sure what level you should be when you beat it but i would think around level 8?
since that's the level you start at in bg2 (or is it level 7?)

In BG 1 the cap is 89,000 so thats about 8th lvl and ToB puts it up to 161,000 which is up to 9th depending on class. It's also kind of fun to import a BG character, especialy if you have [minor spoiler}
Jaheria, Khalid, Imoen, Minsc, and Dynahaer in your BG 1 party for story continuinity.