Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-08-2000, 04:25 PM   #1
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Hmmm.. interesting, I don't see a post asking to describe party configurations. Given that there is so much variety, I'll be surprised if anyone is seeking the Mavin with the exact same group of characters. Starting off in the sleepy town of Valeria, I, an Oomphaz Wizard named Zohd, managed to find several adventurers who wished to ally themselves with me.

(a little background can be fun.. join the role-playing!)

Must to my surprise, I also encountered two wizards from clan Oomphaz, Filligree and Laysis, sharing a lager while reminescing over the Garuia wars of 211. Once they learned of my fevered devotion to banishing evil, they consented to accompanying me, and made a blood-dagger pact to champion the cause of good. One was well versed in the art of Stone magic, capable of delivering a nasty shock to an unsuspecting foe! The other, like myself, practiced in the art of the mighty sun, seeking to sear her foes with flame.

We were then approached by a young, tall Lizzord bedecked in a fur tunic, his eyes shining with an inner intelligence and light I've not often encountered among that clan. He spoke with a mellow baritone, free of lisp, quite unusual for one of the forked tongue. He introduced himself as Vasago, and we heard his sad tale of betrayal at the hands of his friends, who sojourned far, seeking power, failing to recognize the strength in their own hearts. We could feel the burden hanging on him, like a rank miasma, and offered for him to join us in an ale. Hearing of our newly born dedication, he offered to join us. Given his apparent strength and devotion, we readily accepted him into our growing band.

Suddenly, Vasago's arm shot out, and we heard a squeal of pain from a passing Ratling. "Aiee, let go!!" the ratling squealed, rubbing his wounded wrist." "Give me a reason not to spit you on the point of my sword, my troubling friend?" intoned Vasago. The ratlings dark haunted eyes sought ours for reprieve, or understanding; finding our stoic countenances unbending, he began, in a reedy voice: "I am.. Jackass. An unfortunate name, but apparently the first word uttered by my mother upon spitting me into this world. Given my trifling appelation, I have been forced to steal and scurry, as no respectable shopkeep will hire one with such a name as I. Even though other clans shun me, I turn away from the cruelty, and find strength in my resolve to fight for truth, and beauty. Mock me if you will, Strike me down, Lizzord, but you shall not have my spirit." Vasago looked at Jackass for a minute, then smiled (if a Lizzord can be said to smile) and extended a hand. "Welcome. Join us." Jackass looked shocked for a moment, then smiled, and extended his tiny paw, dwarfed by the huge, scaly claws of Vasago.

Suddenly, a lithe, attractive young Whiskas swept by us, stopping in front of me. "I have heard your tales, your dreams, your ambitions drawn from an inner strength. I am known as Yizzy. It would do me great honor to join you in your quest for salvation.. or your quest for a savior."

Suddenly, Vasago stood, and clapped his hand on Yizzy's shoulders. "Then, we are 6!" he boomed. He leaned in toward us, and whispered "Let us meet at dawn, at this same table. Where our paths crossed, let it be a good omen for our fortune to come. Zohd, Yizzy, Jackass, Filligree, Laysis; we shall experience fear, and hatred, and dark dreams coming for us out of the mists. But we must not falter; evil and weakness are bedfellows, so we must always remain vigilant. If one of us weakened, so like the rusted chain, we shall break. Let us meet at dawn, to begin our sojourn to free these troubled lands."

I nodded, whispering hoarsely, trembling. "As it is spoken, so shall it be done."

-*-

Anyone else care to share the tale of how you met your friends? Please, join in!
Old 11-08-2000, 06:30 PM   #2
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Oh come on folks, we must have at least ONE person in here with an iota of imagination, that thought of the implications of saving the world beyond formulae relating to maximum efficiency..

Please, let me see there is some life beyond contemplation of the algebraic maxims!
Old 11-08-2000, 06:57 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh how I wish I had had you as a player when I was still running my own RPG which I ran online for almost 15 years! You would have been a real treat and would have loved my other players too!!

Wyv
Old 11-08-2000, 07:34 PM   #4
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Hello, Wyvern, there is yet life! hehehe.. I always enjoyed RPGs, primarily being the dungeon master. My motto was, "The less dice rolled, the better." My best adventure ever involved a deistic claim to a mortal throne, a fearsome disease that plagued the incumbent as he prattered on about his own immortality.. in the first 8 hours of the adventure, not a single die rolled. Now that's role-playing!

I haven't done any role-playing in 5 years or so, though.. hmm..
Old 11-08-2000, 08:02 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh gosh - sounds like we would have some great stories to share!
I first got into RPGing watching a friend of mine playing an online game played on Compu$erve. Looked like such fun that I joined up. I got to play in a brand new game written by the DM - we were sort of beta testing it for her. I hated it! The rules and the way the game was run was just so awful that I did the only logical thing (especially given my extensive background of 3 months of playing rpg) - I wrote my own game. I ran it online for about 15 years. The game evolved over time but the basics were that we got together for the role playing - not to become super heros. Raising stats wasn't as important as character interaction. I removed money as an issue in the game totally. I would set up basic ideas and settings but would always allow my players to direct where the game went. If they came up with creative solutions of different ideas than what I had first formulated it was wonderful!! I had players that helped me put together new character classes based on what the basic set up of my system was and their ideas. One of my favorites was "Librarian" and one of the abilities was "DUST" - which was useful for covering tracks! We had a lot of fun with that game!! The major game quest was the search for the lost library of the High Culture. Whenever I started a new group in the game we always started in the Karol Lewis House which is sort of the most elaborate fun house that ever existed. Was a great way to teach players who were hard core DnDers to lighten up and have fun!

Wyv
Old 11-08-2000, 10:16 PM   #6
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Note that I wrote this before I had the game, so some of it is wrong.

JOURNAL
I will begin with a few words about my five companions. For truth be told, it is likely that we will all die in this quest. If so, I hope this journal finds its way back to the hands of someone who will read this and mourn our passing. If we somehow survive, I hope this work serves as a chronicle of the my brave companions who, though rejected by the world, helped to save it.

Although I am happy with my fellows, I must admit that I had hoped for more racial diversity in my companions. I could not, however, find any Oomphazs, Timagri (whom the common folk call Whiskas), Boujiri (whom the common folk call Ratlings), or Kilnar Sst (whom the common folk call Lizzords) willing to help me. Perhaps in time I will be able to prove my worth, have a bit of coin, and then enlist their help.

Although a Gourk warrior did approach me (I believe their racial name is actually Gaermal Oruk), his raw aggression unsettled me, and I felt led to decline his offer of companionship. He laughed at what he called my foolishness and as he left me, he made some comment about seeing my "scattered and whitened bones" before too many days hence. I hope my refusal was due to spiritual insight and not because of any racial enmity I might have over the Gourk's and Ogre's brutality against the Elves and Oomphaz in that terrible and bloody war.

Since I have spoken of the other common races, I should mention the Petani, whom are often called by the racial slur Gnobbits. The Petani have always disturbed me, due no doubt to some character flaw in myself. But whatever the reason, I find the jovial and warm Petani frightening. I think it is because it seems to me that they often have no allegiances. And someone with no allegiance could today be your friend and tomorrow your enemy. Although I hope to meet Petani that will prove my prejudice wrong, I cannot in good faith ask one to be a part of my party at this time.

Because I am not a man of great fame or wealth, I could only gather to myself this small band of five misfits and outcasts. But in my companions I see great potential. I pray that I may be able to focus that untapped potential until it grows into a force of good that will send Cet Ude D'wa Kahn into the Pit, from which there is no escape.

Here, then, are my companions.

Aspasia (Pixie)

Exactly why Aspasia has come to the Village of Valeia is unknown, for she listens much and speaks little. But I have heard a rumor that she is the daughter of none other than Seraphia, one of the Pixie Queens from the far-off Ishudo Karan Valley between Mt. Chayka and Mt. Dhar'fiam.

Unlike many races, Pixies (whose true racial name is Seragaia Aeiro) do not shelter their royalty. On the contrary, Pixies of importance are often subject to horrors that are kept from the common Pixie folk who are under their protection. One of the great treasures in the hard and wicked world is the beauty and sweetness of a Pixie's heart. It is to protect the Pixies' innocence, wonder, and faith that some brave and noble Pixies are chosen to explore and know the outside world, face its dangers, and return tell their tales to their chosen leaders.

If Aspasia is one of those so chosen, it would explain why she has come to the Village of Valeia. Perhaps she, like many others, seek to know how far the dark grasp of Cet Ude D'wa Kahn may reach.

Regardless of her reasons, I asked her to join me because a Pixies are devout and a blessing upon any party. I was surprised and honored by her acceptance, though it saddens me to see such a bright spirit afflicted by the evils of the land.

Eldurin Eventide (Elf)

He was once called Eldurin the Unfallen, for he came from an little-known Elven race called the Luahthan, who existed for generations and had never been touched by evil. Male Luahthan are recognizable by their stylized facial hair, something rarely seen in other Elven races.

Because humans were the ones who first brought the disease called evil to the Luahthan, humans are not well liked by Luahthan elves. But it is said that Eldurin once loved a human woman, which is, no doubt, related to his secret pain. He claims that he is a man at peace, for he knows his purpose in life, which is to forge himself into a weapon against evil. Yet at moments, when the fire of laughter has died from his eyes, they betray a deep unrest that speak of deep wounds.

Eldurin told me that this quest will involve the legendary Mavin sword in some way, though I throught that blade was long lost. Perhaps, even as Eldurin helps me fight against the evil of Cet Ude D'wa Kahn, I can help him find true peace.

Jael Saer (Elf)

Jael looks like a young, fun-loving human teen, but she is actually an Elven pariah. She left the Elven community of Laenar Rihl as a child and since has rejected all contact with other Elves. The only thing I have heard that might explain her behavior is a rumor I heard from that there is Timagri blood somewhere in her family's past, but such inbreeding is considered impossible. Although she keeps her ears hidden, her awesome intelligence and seemingly frivolous behavior reveals her true Elvish nature.

Although I was a bit concerned about her secrecy, my deep respect for her simple wisdom (a type of wisdom many people call foolishness), and her massive intelligence compelled me to ask her to join my party. With a sly smile and shrug, she said simply, "Why not?" And that was enough for me.

Rachel Le Minamor (Human)

Rachel was the fourth child of Baron Huk Le Minamor III, an un-noteworthy nobleman in the Deep Forest of Rane, far beyond the western sea of Svee. The Baron and Baroness were both killed by a powerful Warlock named Rezek Lar, and Rachel's three older brothers challenged the wizard in order to avenge their father. Despite Rachel's protests, they prohibited her from coming with them. Sadly, her brothers too were killed by Rezek.

The Baron's most trusted advisor came to console Rachel for her tremendous losses, but Rachel had left the ancestral home and was nowhere to be found. Several days later, word spread that Rezek Rane, the great Warlock, was found dead.

Now, Rachel has suddenly shown up in Valeia seeking adventure. When I first saw her, she was being attacked by several giant bats. I assisted her, but one by one, she took them down, her face never betraying the slightest hint of fear or uncertainty, though she was gravely wounded. Whether such eerie calm in the face of danger will lead Rachel to greatness of death remains to be seen.

I fear that I have asked her to join my party because of compassion and a wish to protect her, but in truth, she will no doubt protect me. I hope convince her to seek the path of Valkyrie.

Rhone Axegrinder (Dwarf)

Rhone appears to most who do not know him as a typical haughty, angry, but noble Dwarf. But he is not angry, he is afraid. He is afraid that the evil of Cet Ude D'wa Kahn will destroy his people. And fear is the most terrible and guarded of emotions in a Dwarf. Fear often causes humans to cry, be weakened, or run away. But fear in a Dwarf causes them to filled with a battle lust no wound can diminish, no weapon can break, and no enemy can withstand.

I asked Rhone to come with me for obvious reasons, such as his strength and fortitude, but also because his fear for his people shows the noble nature of his soul.

Ravanthar (Human)

Although I am a traveling musician, and am sometimes called a bard by my friends, the truth of the matter is that I am a Monk of Yahweh. It is unfortunate that Bards are now often called Tricksters, but I must admit there are many than carry a lute in one hand and a lockpick in the other. I, however, just like to play and sing as I travel the lands in my spiritual journey.

I grew up in an orphanage run by the Sisters of Mercy Mission,

Though I do not agree with many of the teachings of Anephas, he sought the greater good, and the threat of Cet Ude D'wa Kahn cannot be ignored. Although I supposed I have always been an adventurer at heart, I am a man of peace and have never raised a hand against an enemy. For good or ill, that peace must be broken, and I must wield the implements of war. I will study all things from weapons to wisdom; from spellcasting to stealth. Perhaps in time I shall undertake the path the Zen Master. Only Yahweh knows.

Tomorrow, I hope to speak to the town elder G'arreth, for I have heard he has some knowledge of the path I must take. But for now, I must rest. My spirit is restless, and I believe the morning will be the beginning of a great adventure.
Old 11-08-2000, 11:36 PM   #7
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

*claps* Bravo, Bravo Eldurin! That is what I like to see. A noble, ragtag band, full of uncertainty, yet united in the quest to dispel the grim specter of evil from the land. May the bards sing of your deeds, and not of your death, in the days to come!
Old 11-09-2000, 01:41 PM   #8
Starinth

In ancient times, in the long-forgotten days of the Kingdom of Lo-Res, divided into the Provinces of Orange, Green, Purple and White, Lord Trebor desperately searched for heroes who would help rid the kingdom of the Evil Wizard Werdna. Finally, he found a team of brave souls who, after enormous travail, slew that evil wizard and completed the quest. This team consisted of two warriors, a thief, a priest, and two wizards. Since those days of eld, the tradition of this party of gallant champions has continued.

Thus, when the news was spread throughout Known Space that the Mavin Sword was needed to defeat the Dark Lord save the beautiful Realm of Gael Serran, the custom continued and the following adventurers journeyed to the village of Valeia:

As always. the team leader is a strong and brave female Human. Our Warrior chose the name of Valoria during the Ceremony of Appellations. At the beginning of the Mavin Sword Quest, she was relatively inexperienced, but she hopes some day to train as a Paladin. The sword is her favorite weapon. She always fights first. She has sworn a mighty oath, and will become the Bearer of the Mavin Sword.

Her strong right arm is the fearless male Whiska Thrumble . He was given this name by his fellow team members, since his contented purr sounds like a cross between a rumble and thunder. He is a handsome tawny gallant, always grooming himself in the heritage of Beau Brummell. He wants to carry on the tradition of his ancestors [the Pantheria tigris] and eventually become a Samurai.

The third fighting position is always filled by a thief (so that our priest concentrate on using the Powers of Healing, rather than fighting). Our Thief is a male Gnome (although he has Hobbit blood in his background) named Pumpernickel . He is a descendant of the famed CerealAndGrains family, which received the honored Knighthood of One of the Four Basic Foodgroups. Although he can fight with a sword, he is becoming an expert with the bow and thus can often serve as point guard for the party. Although he loves music, he will probably train as a Ninja.

Monitoring the health and well-being of our team is the beautiful female Oompha Priest Kashmir . Her calm serenity provides a steadying influence to the team. She is a child of the noted Sarasota who traveled the universe with the great Barnum. Her spirituality and intelligence are outstanding, yet she always cheerfully carries the party's supplies, treasures, and the captured spoils of battle. Her Spirit Eye is always watchful, providing insightful information to our team. She might decide to become a Monk ... or she may favor the Warlock path. This mystery is yet to be revealed.

One of our Wizards is the tall, slender female elf named Starinth . She is a direct descendant of the legendary CloudNine who fought for Lord Trebor and slew the vile Werdna. She is enchanting, even without her powerful spell books. As she is from the golden planet of Helios, she specializes in the mystic Spells of the Sun. She seems a natural to follow the Path of the Warlock. She has the mystic ability to contact other intelligent beings via that mysterious force known as the Grand Forum of the Ironworks Internet.

Our other Wizard is the flickering pixelish male Pixie who chose the name of Fyrfly . He laughs at the armor of the others, and counts on his size to protect him from his huge clumsy enemies, and his speed to allow him to sting those selfsame foes with his arsenal of Stone Spells. He uses his slow, soft drawl (he comes from the planet of Pixie Dixie) to regale the others with Tales of Known Space, the songs of the Filk, and the jokes that are transmitted instantly via the Magic of the Web. Both Starinth and Fyrfly hope to become Warlocks in the Mysty future.

Old 11-09-2000, 03:34 PM   #9
freudianslip
Welcomed New User

Laugh! Bravo, once again. It is refreshing to see a bit of creativity and wonderment on this board. To both of you, Eldurin and Starinth, I salute you! (And you too, grand master Wyvern )

I am thinking I might write a short tale depicting one of my party's early encounters with evil.. if anyone is interested, that is.
Old 11-09-2000, 06:10 PM   #10
Eldurin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sounds like a plan, Mr. Slip. Have at it!