Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #1
Arvon
Unicorn

• At Fairway Middle School in Norwich, England, students are now required to secure the permission of their intended victim before throwing a snowball; any student launching a surprise attack will be subject to disciplinary measures. One National Union of Teachers official deemed the move "sensible" in this litigious age. You may be wondering what could come next: Will teachers have to get permission before they can flunk a student? Well, you're close. To spare the fragile egos of their charges, teachers at Uplands Manor Primary School in England have been ordered to begin using green, rather than red, ink to grade papers. "The red pen has nega-tive connotations," explained one administrator, "and can be seen as a negative approach to improving pupils' work."

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 02-19-2003, 02:49 PM   #2
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

please tell me that this is another of your joke threads Arvon, pretty please!!
Old 02-19-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
MagiK

Sounds pretty typical to me, knowing that such silly ideas are common place in the Maryland School system.

Old 02-19-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Yeah, that'll prepare them for the real world.

Look, you cannot spare the emotions of students. The world doesn't work that way. If folks don't have the chip knocked off their shoulders early in life they turn into namby-pamby litigious twits.

I cannot tell you how much red ink gets put on my papers. One thing any student of writing needs to get over very quickly is the attachment to their words. It's an arrogance rooted in the process of creating something that you think your turn of the phrase or statement of the problem or way to solve the equation are best. But, in almost every instance, you are wrong.

I'll tell you this: you will not be prepared for professional life if you cannot handle being told how much you suck ass several times every day.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Yeah those red markers are pretty condescending. I have no clue about schools in Maryland but if this is standard practise in their school system thereīs nothing left to say but " Timber, I donīt think that telling students they suck will improve them much though. Letīs leave that privilege to parents. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] LOL! "Creative critiscism" is of course needed. Hereīs what you did wrong and why it is wrong.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Hello Arvon, can I throw a snow ball at you? j/k
Old 02-19-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
Timber, I donīt think that telling students they suck will improve them much though. Letīs leave that privilege to parents. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img] LOL! "Creative critiscism" is of course needed. Hereīs what you did wrong and why it is wrong.
Of course, Willow. I'm not advocating those evil mean schoolteachers depicted in Monty Python humor and Pink Floyd's The Wall. But coddling occurs much too often. And red is just so- final.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #8
Irongrinder

*prepares a whole bunch of snowball's*

It's kind of idiotic if you ask me (if it's true ofcourse )