Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 02:06 AM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

Is it just me, or does the explainification of the banner defy the content of the speech made in front of it?

Link

Quote:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- What was once viewed as a premier presidential photo op continues to dog President Bush six months after he landed on an aircraft carrier to declare "one victory" in the war on terrorism and an end to major combat operations in Iraq.

Attention turned Tuesday to a giant "Mission Accomplished" sign that stood behind Bush aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln when he gave the speech May 1.

The president told reporters the sign was put up by the Navy, not the White House.

"I know it was attributed somehow to some ingenious advance man from my staff -- they weren't that ingenious, by the way," the president said Tuesday.

Now his statements are being parsed even further.

Navy and administration sources said that though the banner was the Navy's idea, the White House actually made it.

Bush offered the explanation after being asked whether his speech declaring an end to major combat in Iraq under the "Mission Accomplished" banner was premature, given that U.S. casualties in Iraq since then have surpassed those before it.

During the speech in May, Bush said, "The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September 11, 2001, and still goes on."

The speech and events surrounding it were widely publicized and served as the symbolic end to the war in Iraq.

At the time, it appeared that every detail of the day's events had been carefully planned, including the president's arrival in the co-pilot's seat of a Navy S-3B Viking after making two flybys of the carrier.

The exterior of the four-seat S-3B Viking was marked with "Navy 1" and "George W. Bush Commander in Chief."

White House spokesman Scott McClellan told CNN that in preparing for the speech, Navy officials on the carrier told Bush aides they wanted a "Mission Accomplished" banner, and the White House agreed to create it.

"We took care of the production of it," McClellan said. "We have people to do those things. But the Navy actually put it up."

The banner has been used by critics of the Bush administration as evidence of bravado and an unclear sense of how dangerous the postwar conflict in Iraq would be.

Assigning responsibility elsewhere, especially to the military, is not a typical move for the Bush administration and raised suspicions among critics.

Cmdr. Conrad Chun, a Navy spokesman, defended the president's assertion.

"The banner was a Navy idea, the ship's idea," Chun said.

"The banner signified the successful completion of the ship's deployment," he said, noting the Abraham Lincoln was deployed 290 days, longer than any other nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in history.

At the time of the event, Democrats worried President Bush would use his speech and the dramatic landing for political gain.

On Tuesday, Democratic presidential candidates, hoping to make it a political liability for Bush, accused him of trying to shift blame for the stagecraft to the Navy.

"Landing on an aircraft carrier and saying 'mission accomplished' didn't end a war, and standing in the Rose Garden and stating that 'Iraq is a dangerous place' does nothing to make American troops safer," Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts said in a written statement Tuesday.

Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean also issued a critical statement.

"Today, we heard him try to walk away from the USS Abraham Lincoln 'end of major combat operations' announcement, absurdly claiming that the White House was not responsible for the 'Mission Accomplished' banner that decorated the flight deck," Dean said.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

How sad that supposedly responsible adults can manage only to point fingers and play the "blame game" over a poster. A poster! I'll settle this once and for all: I made the damn sign! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Someone in the press office thought they could milk a couple of really good sound/video bytes from this one.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 04:31 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
How sad that supposedly responsible adults can manage only to point fingers and play the "blame game" over a poster. A poster! I'll settle this once and for all: I made the damn sign! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Explainification excepticated. Apologectomies anyoneybody? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2003, 08:22 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
quote:
Explainification excepticated. Apologectomies anyoneybody? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]LOL
Explainification hilariousistic, Apologectomies unneccessarian.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:01 AM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

The Daily Show on Comedy Central covered this very topic on tonight's show. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

I wonder how much money people will offer for the sign on Ebay? [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:46 PM   #6
Skunk
Banned User

While there is some newsworthy elements to the story, I can't help but feel that making a fuss over it plays directly into the Bush Administration's hands.

Afterall, while everyone is busy discussing misplaced flags and who was responsible, the real issue of miswaged wars and who was responsible for that gets pushed a little further to the sidelines...
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:03 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
While there is some newsworthy elements to the story, I can't help but feel that making a fuss over it plays directly into the Bush Administration's hands.

Afterall, while everyone is busy discussing misplaced flags and who was responsible, the real issue of miswaged wars and who was responsible for that gets pushed a little further to the sidelines...
Now that I think about it, I totally agree. Thanks for the perspective.

[ 10-31-2003, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 10-31-2003, 05:21 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
]Explainification excepticated. Apologectomies anyoneybody? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
It's about time somene pulled you up on this sort of thing Ronn Bman! I've warned you before about being funny! This is far too funny for your own good. And to make it worse - every time I read it it gets funnier!

Stop it!!!!

[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:04 AM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 09:51 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
The Daily Show on Comedy Central covered this very topic on tonight's show. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

I wonder how much money people will offer for the sign on Ebay? [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]
Maybe they'll cut it up and sell pieces of it -- like a Babe Ruth card.