Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 03:44 PM   #21
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I listed the options if he doesn't have Prot from Evil memorized. Which is possible for a solo sorc to make that mistake.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #22
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

In HoF, I've found that caster-heavy parties rule. Case in point: I've taken a Cleric, Druid, and 4 Sorcerer party through the Orc/Goblin opening bit (up to going away for good from the town) from scratch in HoF before I stopped because of boredom. Level 1, every single one of them. All you need are the summons, as they're beefed up along with the monsters. Add in 4 10d6 Fireballs and some random damage spells, and goblins and orcs fall like flies. I can only imagine that the game would get easier as my spells got stronger.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:32 PM   #23
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Casters rock, but only one mage if you ask me due to lack of scrolls. Thats why i have a t(1)/m and two sorcs
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 PM   #24
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Dang I've been gone too long

Casters rock, once I get back to this game I'll definately be firing up my drow party thats full of em. Gate was one of my favorite spells when I entered HoF with my pally party: on top of the horde fortress, one of my guys attracted a chain reaction of the entire top side of the army. Since my group had just been through a costly fight, the only remaining (unsilenced or unheld) caster in my party was my cleric. Desperately, I fired off a Gate at the choke point...

Well, with all the resistances those demons have, I don't know if the gobbies ever hit it. Eventually my mages came back online, and I used the demon as target practice for Wails, Swarms, Storms, and other fun things. My warriors never touched anything. Long story short: Gate is great in a chokepoint with a long battle and appropriate support magic (which is practically whaat HoF is). Have fun!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:44 AM   #25
Magness
Quintesson

Marty4, you've got to be careful with Gate in that battle if the orc spellcasters are charming your party members. Gate demons aren't too picky and will waste your party's charmed members and there's not one darned thing you can do about it.

I just completed the Horde Fortress courtyard battle in HOF. Took me 3 tries, because the enemy spellcasters really had a thing for Charming my party. On the 2nd try, I'd given Gate a try and was doing OK, but then those bleep-turds charmed my pally and rogue and the Demon got too close and decided to waste them. I tried to kill the demon myself, but they're sooooooooo tough to kill. And certainly way too tough to kill quickly, particularly when 2 party members are lost to a Charm spell. Needless to say that is was time for the good ole Power Word: Reload.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:41 AM   #26
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Demons attack party members, charmed or not. That's why care is advised when calling forth the Gate, Cacofiend or similar spells.
Oh, and you can always cast Prot from Evil 10' in a dire situation. I've also found that if you use Malison to lower your charmed partymember's save, and then cast a Dispel, the Malison effect is gone since the person is on your side now.
Same thing with Domination and Charm.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:53 AM   #27
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Magness:
Marty4, you've got to be careful with Gate in that battle if the orc spellcasters are charming your party members. Gate demons aren't too picky and will waste your party's charmed members and there's not one darned thing you can do about it.

I just completed the Horde Fortress courtyard battle in HOF. Took me 3 tries, because the enemy spellcasters really had a thing for Charming my party. On the 2nd try, I'd given Gate a try and was doing OK, but then those bleep-turds charmed my pally and rogue and the Demon got too close and decided to waste them. I tried to kill the demon myself, but they're sooooooooo tough to kill. And certainly way too tough to kill quickly, particularly when 2 party members are lost to a Charm spell. Needless to say that is was time for the good ole Power Word: Reload.
WOTB got me through that!! 16 dead goblin/orcs in about 3 secs after my 3 completed. Here i did use gate, 5 of them. And two of the summoned some lemures which didn't count in my summining limit [img]smile.gif[/img]
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #28
Magness
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
Demons attack party members, charmed or not. That's why care is advised when calling forth the Gate, Cacofiend or similar spells.
Oh, and you can always cast Prot from Evil 10' in a dire situation. I've also found that if you use Malison to lower your charmed partymember's save, and then cast a Dispel, the Malison effect is gone since the person is on your side now.
Same thing with Domination and Charm.
Actually, it's rather likely that the charmed ones were protected from evil. I always try to have Prot from Evil 10' as my first buff in my normal set of buffs.

I didn't have malison available, cuz I almost never ever use it. One trick that I have tried is to put the charmed character in an Otiluke's Resiliant Sphere, but it only works rarely, since they usually pass their save.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #29
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Magness, I had summoned a demon in a position where it was surrounded by my enemies, so it wouldn't target my party (and I did have prot. from evil on). As for charming spells, my mages annihilated the enemy from afar without being targeted, so charming didn't come into play against me. Also, I had tricked the enemy shamans to cover the battlefield with entangle spells, so enemies didn't get anywhere near me.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #30
Bernardo
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
I listed the options if he doesn't have Prot from Evil memorized. Which is possible for a solo sorc to make that mistake.
OBVIOUSLY I have! I'm not so dumb!