Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 05:48 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm wondering how many people out there have dined solo? And I'm talking dining, not going for a bite at McDonalds or going to some cheap Chinese corner place for a 10minute bite. I'm talking about dining solo, as in a proper night out at a proper restaurant, like:

I'm curious to hear about the experience. What got me thinking was the below article which appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald today:

Quote:
The Sydney Morning Herald, Good Living section

What's the story with that woman sitting alone in a buzzing restaurant? Or that man. Has someone stood her up, is he from out of town? You'd never know for sure, unless it was you ... Lissa Christopher and Richard Jinman go solo.

Dining out on your own is about as appealing as public speaking or undergoing root canal work. As you pull up a chair at a table for one, you're a target for curiosity and supposition. And self-consciousness doesn't make great company, especially when it's all the company you've got.

Casting off your inhibitions is a fine idea - "getting over yourself" it's called - but easier said than done, especially in extroverted Sydney with its penchant for being seen and having lots of glam pals with whom to be seen.

Is it so very bad in reality or is eating alone merely a chilling idea? Only one way to find out. So, Richard Jinman and I have given it a go, dining alone at three Sydney hot spots: est. (for a taste of the high end), harbourkitchen&bar (at the Park Hyatt Hotel and therefore likely to have more business people or out-of-towners dining solo) and Jimmy Liks with its communal table.

Aside from rampaging self-consciousness, there were other concerns. As social pariahs, would we be seated at tables within the swing of the toilet door? Would there be resentment that we were taking up valuable real estate but spending on only one belly?

We experienced no such rudeness. For example, at est. I was given an extra course to help pass the time it takes to prepare a souffle. Richard was given magazines. "We're probably more aware of [solo diners] and so is the kitchen," says est. sommelier Stuart Halliday. They might, for example, ensure a loner's meal is delivered quickly. It's kind and thoughtful, certainly, but we fear it borders on pity.

A solo diner does not necessarily equal a skinny bill, either. Halliday points out he has known solo diners to order a $300-plus bottle of wine and so spend more than many tables for four.

Read on for the full story, but overall, Richard gives the experience 1 1/2 stars out of five and says don't do it unless it's at gunpoint. He believes the only good meal out is a shared one.

More the greedy introvert, I give the experience 2 1/2 stars and say, give it a whirl. Take something to read, relax over your wine and enjoy the food. I dare you.

Full article here

---Lissa Christopher and Richard Jinman
Normally solo diners have a stigma attached to them...loser/pariah/Nigel-No-Friends/etc. I admit that personally I've never dined alone at a proper dining establishment, mainly because a) I can't stand the thought of not talking to anyone during dinner ; and b) I get very bored by myself. The only time that I've ever eaten alone in a proper restaurant was when I went to NZ for business, and I decided to check out the restaurant at the Grand Hyatt. Most other times I just order room service.

But I'm sure that some people MUST have done this. So...what was it like for you solo flyers?

[ 05-04-2004, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 05-04-2004, 06:22 AM   #2
GokuZool
Lord Ao

If you're going to an expensive restaurant, you might as well go with someone else - someone to split the bill with.

I don't see anything wrong with dining solo, even at flashy restaurant.

(Not that I ever have, mind you )

[ 05-04-2004, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 05-04-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

been there done that,
I like to eat, and I like to eat good.
Although I can't afford that much just now and then I like to go for a restaurant to get a good steak or try something new. Of course going with friends or a date is the first choice, but I don't feel it's compulsary for me.
ADD: What about restaurant tester? Don't they always dine solo? Does this mean you'll be served better food if coming alone?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i for one wont do it. im a simple guy with simple pleasures.. pizza, tv or computer is a perfect day for me anytime (or takeout) . Restaurants are for dates and special occasions like meetings or something.

A good example for me would be with my mate Mario (aka: Memnoch). It was good to meet up with you mate . Although sometimes I just wonder what exactly do you think is a "student budget" called [img]tongue.gif[/img] when i met with ya last time at north sydney. .

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-04-2004, 07:24 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

We should even make a IW meeting again Mario . Its been awhile with wellard, gokuzool(if willing), leonis. . oh well jsut a thought

[ 05-04-2004, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-04-2004, 07:32 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Been there done that, I do it when I got OT at work and feeling hungry. I carry all my files and reports and go into the fancy restaurant and work while eating.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:45 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Been about the place enough on business that there ain't no stigma attached to it for me. The choices are eat in as room service or go down / out to a restraunt. Unless I am zonked and want an early night I will head on out.

Can't say I am much for eating out alone when back home though. That just means I have to inflict my own cooking on myself more often .
Old 05-04-2004, 07:52 AM   #8
ryaldin
Elminster

I do it occassionally. Sometimes you get a craving for fancy food, and if you've noone to share it with, so be it. I was in London a few months ago, by myself, and I found a really nice chinese restaurant (not just egg fried rice in a paper box, mind you, but a nice restaurant, whose name I cannot remember). I asked if they had room, and they asked for how many, and I told them for one. They were quite accomodating, and the food was excellent, and it was quiet and altogether peaceful, after a chaotic few days of endlessly circling the metropolis in the tube.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:20 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Been there, done that. Aside from the initial query of, "Table for one?" at the entrance, the rest of the experience is surprisingly benign.

If your intention is merely to experience the food, then wah-boo-hoo to all the nonsense of loneliness. It's cheaper for one anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

In my experience as a diner and a waiter, nobody cares that you are alone. If anyone did care, it would most likely be you.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
In my experience as a diner and a waiter, nobody cares that you are alone. If anyone did care, it would most likely be you.
True enough. And anyway, if people are going to analyse and condemn you for eating alone then that's their problem. Their narcissism makes their opinion all the less valid

I don't eat alone at fancy places, mainly because I can't afford to eat at fancy places. But I do eat lunch alone at this Khmer Satay place about once a week when on my 'lunchbreak' (which is pretty much anytime I'm hungry at University) . I just take my books with me and do a little light reading/go over my schedule. No biggie. In fact I get on quite well with the owners and they give me discounts (heh, either that or they give the loner discounts out of pity ). It's great [img]smile.gif[/img]
If I go to dinner at a 'fancy' place though, it'll be with company.