Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2001, 03:05 AM   #1
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

After a few zillion times through Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate one and two and all the expansions, I wanted something more. Who didn't? I bought Planescape: Torment, and I haven't regretted a penny of it, despite the fact that the game is several years old.

The graphics are somewhat outdated (as might be expected of an older game) and I had trouble with the cutscenes. However the STORY and the DIALOGUE were the best (in my own opinion, of course) of all the CRPG games I've ever played! The NPCs you pick up aren't just some elves or dwarves walking about, you have floating skulls, fallen t'narri, fiendlings, githzari, damned mages-on-fire and more! The sucess of this game is undoubtedly what prompted the "romances" in BGII, and the roots of these are seen here. The protagonist is immortal and regenerates like a troll. OOOH! I love this game!

The only drawback in my opinion is that the plot twists are so good, that when the game is replayed, you feel spoiled. Nonetheless, I feel I'm doing the CRPG world a huge favor by saying, "Go get it if you already haven't!"
Old 09-02-2001, 03:16 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:
After a few zillion times through Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate one and two and all the expansions, I wanted something more. Who didn't? I bought Planescape: Torment, and I haven't regretted a penny of it, despite the fact that the game is several years old.

The graphics are somewhat outdated (as might be expected of an older game) and I had trouble with the cutscenes. However the STORY and the DIALOGUE were the best (in my own opinion, of course) of all the CRPG games I've ever played! The NPCs you pick up aren't just some elves or dwarves walking about, you have floating skulls, fallen t'narri, fiendlings, githzari, damned mages-on-fire and more! The sucess of this game is undoubtedly what prompted the "romances" in BGII, and the roots of these are seen here. The protagonist is immortal and regenerates like a troll. OOOH! I love this game!

The only drawback in my opinion is that the plot twists are so good, that when the game is replayed, you feel spoiled. Nonetheless, I feel I'm doing the CRPG world a huge favor by saying, "Go get it if you already haven't!"
Planescape is truly an amazing game. One of the best I've experienced. The bummer is I haven't finished it! I got right up to the near end, and had to leave Singapore - and my access to a PC. All my saved games are still there. ARRG!

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-02-2001, 03:17 AM   #3
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Oh, I'm on an Imac now...

Are Baldurs Gate/Planescae available for the Mac?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 09-02-2001).]
Old 09-02-2001, 03:28 AM   #4
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

I just checked the system requirements with Amazon.com (who sells Torment for $14.95, by the way), and you can buy the Baldur's Gate games for Mac, but not Torment (at least they don't sell it for Mac). I hope you get a chance to finish it, the ending is, well...
Old 09-02-2001, 03:32 AM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
I just checked the system requirements with Amazon.com (who sells Torment for $14.95, by the way), and you can buy the Baldur's Gate games for Mac, but not Torment (at least they don't sell it for Mac). I hope you get a chance to finish it, the ending is, well...
Whatever you do don't spoil me. Please, in all seriousness. Anyone who follows DON'T SPOIL!!!

Thanks for the info Zateel. I've only ever used Mac for music, not games so I had no idea. Cheers

------------------

Old 09-02-2001, 03:40 AM   #6
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

I know better than to spoil *you* of all people! I can remember discussing spoilers with you before...

I was just encouraging you to finish it, and if I can find a link where you can get it for the Mac, I'll post it up.
Old 09-02-2001, 04:43 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
I know better than to spoil *you* of all people! I can remember discussing spoilers with you before...

I was just encouraging you to finish it, and if I can find a link where you can get it for the Mac, I'll post it up.
Thanks maaaate. (In broad 'Strayan)

------------------

Old 09-02-2001, 04:49 AM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

not availble on Mac, sORRRRRRIE

Yorick, mate, I didnt know you had a love for Planescape. it is simply the masterpiece. it is art, and it is the vivid life form of one's imagination!

I certainly would recommand you to finish it (several times probally, as different 'aligment')
Old 09-02-2001, 04:59 AM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
not availble on Mac, sORRRRRRIE

Yorick, mate, I didnt know you had a love for Planescape. it is simply the masterpiece. it is art, and it is the vivid life form of one's imagination!

I certainly would recommand you to finish it (several times probally, as different 'aligment')
Yes I gathered that. I was playing a couple of games with differing stats too. I went for high Intelligence, Charisma and Strength in my main game, and joined the Sensates. Became a good Fighter and Mage.

Later I started another with high dexterity, wisdom and constition, played a thief and joined The Dustmen!

Now, if I'd concentrated on my main game just a liiiiiitle more instead of getting distracted, I wouldn't be griping now.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 09-02-2001).]
Old 09-02-2001, 05:05 AM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

sorry, no offense here

a devoted christian actually plays game here. I always thought game is something below the esteem of christian. well, funny, because that is exactly what I thought. it feels like game is a witchcraft thing that all of them are evil and they shalt be cleansed by the fire of heaven...

lol, now I understand bueaty of artistry (should I use this expression here to describe a game? or something else?) can be appreciated by people of all kind, no matter their ages, believes, races and agendas

LOL, I am BSing... dont mind me