Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Well Mr. President, if you would have come out with the Jobs for America Act first, shoved it through Congress at break neck speed, then observed and evaluated it, as opposed to all the half-assed stuff you have done to date, your rating might be a little higher, the country in better shape, and the economy prepared for a socialized health care plan. However, since you didn't, you looked pretty funny there on stage in Ohio, pleading with the crowd, the media, and the Repubs to do something about it. The icing was when you said you would pass even portions of the bill, if that's what it takes to get/keep you and America working. And there on the platform, liking of prominent land marks, was those pesky tele-prompters.

His speeches are becoming almost SNL stints without actors and stints!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

The House will do nothing... then we'll see the resurrection of the 1948 Truman re-election strategy. Whether it works or not... we'll see.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Did the President really say "if you love me you've got to help me pass this bill?".

Srsly?

Don't we normally counsel our daughters against the argument "if you love me...."?

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
Did the President really say "if you love me you've got to help me pass this bill?".

Srsly?

Don't we normally counsel our daughters against the argument "if you love me...."?
I didn't see anything like that in the transcript of his speech. Can you show where he supposedly said this?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

Arrow Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
I didn't see anything like that in the transcript of his speech. Can you show where he supposedly said this?
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...06-503544.html

Quote:
"I love you Barack!" one voice cried out in the crowd.

"I love you back," the president replied. "But if you love me, you've got to help me pass this bill!"

Seems he was responding to the crowd's enthusiasm for him and in the process made an easily spin-able soundbite.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Ironworks Forum Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Indeed. It sounds like something Biden would have said, though.

Are you going to report us to AttackWatch for poking fun at the President?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...06-503544.html

Seems he was responding to the crowd's enthusiasm for him and in the process made an easily spin-able soundbite.
Ah....as always, context is key.

When Az mentioned it, I thought it was in response to Obama's initial speech, but couldn't find that remark in the transcript.

Given the actual context of the remark, though, I can certainly see why he would make that comment and I don't see anything wrong with him saying it in that setting.

Personally, I'm all for new jobs, especially in NC since I would like to be one of those 13,000 teachers that get their job back.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

These dear Mr. President rants are gold.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Azred
Drow Priestess

Were I to say something odd in public, I would expect people to chuckle about it online.

You don't see anything funny, even potentially, in his use of the phrase "if you love me"?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
Were I to say something odd in public, I would expect people to chuckle about it online.

You don't see anything funny, even potentially, in his use of the phrase "if you love me"?
Not really. In his speech, he used the phrases "Pass this bill" or "You should pass it right away" about 12 times (if I counted correctly). Near the beginning of his speech, he ended 3 out of 4 paragraphs with "You should pass it right away". In the next few comments, he began several consecutive sentences with "Pass this bill" and then went on to list benefits the bill would bring. In one spot, he even ends one statement with "You should pass it right away" and the very next statement is "Pass this bill"...

So, given the obvious emphasis he put to Congress on passing this bill right away, it doesn't seem odd or funny at all that he would use the excitement of the crowd and a spur of the moment comment to emphasize passing the bill one more time.