Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2003, 06:10 AM   #1
Grungi
Banned User

the level 5 hold monster spell, does it ever work? its meant to hold a few monsters, but i tried it on crappy monsters and it wont even hold them, is it bugged or just completely hopeless? i tried it so many times and am yet to hold a single monster in place, also the actual spell when cast doesnt seem to affect the monster i cast it on, rather it stays in one place? am i meant to cast it on the ground and not the monster? (either way it still doesnt seem to work)

bah bah bah!
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 06:52 AM   #2
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

AFAIK it should be the monster. The fact that it doesn't (or rarely) works is hardly surprising. I find that it is best to try to avoid spells that have the chance of a save. Difficult I know, but you can plan better for those critical fights. That's why symbols are so good.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:11 AM   #3
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Yes, the monsters always seem to roll an 18, 19 or 20 for their saves. But cast Charm on my Paladin, and I always seem to roll a 1.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Keraptisdm:
Yes, the monsters always seem to roll an 18, 19 or 20 for their saves. But cast Charm on my Paladin, and I always seem to roll a 1.
Thats why I always have a few hold person's handy. If one of my guys goes berserk, or is charmed I stop them with hold person. Allows the negative effects to wear off, works almost every time too. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Actually... I love using such spells, even if they allow a save. The thing is... you have to prep the combatants first. Use Bless, Recitation, Curse, Greater Malison, Prayer, etc... to boost your saves and lower theirs.

Following this tactic, battles become extremely easy even on Heart of Fury mode because every party member is bursting to the gills with magical steriods while the enemy is suffocating under a barrage of disabling spells. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Throw in a few Free Actions and some Webs, and hey, hey, hey, knock that Giant down baby.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
[QBThats why I always have a few hold person's handy. If one of my guys goes berserk, or is charmed I stop them with hold person. Allows the negative effects to wear off, works almost every time too. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [/QB]
A flash of lightning just hit me with your comment, pritchke. Honest to gosh, I never thought about that, seriously. I'll have to try that, get a couple of hold person spells and use when my fighter gets charmed. Thanks, bud. I learned something new today, so can I go home now?
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
pritchke

No problem Keraptisdm. I believe I learned that trick upon entering Dorm's Deep were all the blue mushroom people are. Nothing worse than defeating your enemy than getting hacked to pieces by your own guy.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:26 AM   #8
kdawg249
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've noticed when ever one of my people gets charmed they just stand there and don't attack my party or the one's I'm fighting and they aren't held or paralyzed, they just move their head and look around. I don't know why. Do any of you know why?
kdawg249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:28 AM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by kdawg249:
I've noticed when ever one of my people gets charmed they just stand there and don't attack my party or the one's I'm fighting and they aren't held or paralyzed, they just move their head and look around. I don't know why. Do any of you know why?
are you sure theyre charmed and not confused or paniced?
Old 01-31-2003, 09:41 AM   #10
pritchke

It sounds like they have become confused. Be thankful that they are just standing around. Sometimes a confused character can become violent towards there friends.