Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #11
aVENGER_[RR]
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Rogue Rebalancing mod has been updated to v3.7. In summary, this revision adds a new component which slightly revises the merchant treatment of stolen goods, further improves compatibility with (Easy)TuTu and BGT, allows single-classed thieves to side with Bodhi and brings several mod components even closer to PnP AD&D. The first post in this thread has been updated with the full list of changes.
aVENGER_[RR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Will definatly give this a try, looks like a lot of work went into this.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #13
Ilyich
Dungeon Master

Default Re: Rogue Rebalancing mod v3.7 released

Avenger, I was just playing through the Aran Linvail fight with my solo Kens/Mage and bizarrely, Aran and his lackeys attacked and killed his Mislead illusion, which of course removed the hardest part of the fight. This is a great mod though, apart from that little bug.
Ilyich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #14
aVENGER_[RR]
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
Avenger, I was just playing through the Aran Linvail fight with my solo Kens/Mage and bizarrely, Aran and his lackeys attacked and killed his Mislead illusion, which of course removed the hardest part of the fight.
Heh, now that's a new one. I'll look into it for v3.8.

BTW, which version of the mod have you been playing? Was it v3.71?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #15
Ilyich
Dungeon Master

I am playing 3.71, although the Mislead was only killed once in the 3 attempts at the fight and getting out through the Lightning Bolt traps alive. (Yes, I died twice on the trapped corridor because I have no Thief. I have no complaint with this of course.)
Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
aVENGER_[RR]
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
I am playing 3.71, although the Mislead was only killed once in the 3 attempts at the fight
Thanks again for reporting that bug, I've found out what was causing it and corrected it for the next release. BTW, did your character per chance go invisible via Staff of the Magi + Cloak of Non-Detection right at the start of the battle with Aran? That might have triggered the bug since Aran's AI was not taking this into account in v3.71.
Quote:
getting out through the Lightning Bolt traps alive. (Yes, I died twice on the trapped corridor because I have no Thief. I have no complaint with this of course.)
There's a Potion of Absorption in one of the chests in the room where Dedral and his cohort ambush you. It grants 100% electrical resistance for 10 turns and +10 bonus to crushing attacks (i.e. those of Golems) so even non-thieves can get through that area relatively safely. BTW, since you actually managed to solo the entire Shadow Thief Improvements, (a great feat, since the encounters were designed with a full party in mind) would you mind posting your impressions of the combat and perhaps some of the tactics that you used? I'd really like to get more feedback on the the Shadow Thief Improvements component.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #17
Ilyich
Dungeon Master

BTW, did your character per chance go invisible via Staff of the Magi + Cloak of Non-Detection right at the start of the battle with Aran? That might have triggered the bug since Aran's AI was not taking this into account in v3.71.

No, I don't have the SoTM yet, I opened the door and then ran away as quickly as I could after the Assassins saw me, which triggered Aran's Trigger but not his dialogue which results in the big metal door locking.

BTW, since you actually managed to solo the entire Shadow Thief Improvements, (a great feat, since the encounters were designed with a full party in mind) would you mind posting your impressions of the combat and perhaps some of the tactics that you used? I'd really like to get more feedback on the the Shadow Thief Improvements component.

Due to doing the component relatively late in chapter 3 and my Kens/Mage being level 13/19, I found the fights relatively easy with Stoneskin, Spell Immunity (for Charm, Confusion and Feeblemind spells) and Protection from Normal Weapons for near complete immunity to the lesser thieves attacks. I also used Invisibility potions to "Backstab" their mages. In terms of equipment I was dual-wielding CFury and Sanchuudoku (off-hand) with Vecna and Boots of Speed with 5 points in Katana and 3 in dual-wielding. I just beat them to death after the buffs.

Also I couldn't help noticing that there were less thieves for me to fight than the first time I did this component with a party. I think that the number of thieves should stay constant regardless of party makeup. I also noticed the absence of Renal and the Fence, I believe they should be added to their relevant floors as "Lieutenants" with at least a 5x Backstab and magic weapons. Renal could have a +3 Short Sword and the Fence can have a +2 weapon, after all, they both have access to them. Also Gaelan Bayle's Fence should have a contingent of thieves as guards as well, identical to Gaelan's guards would be fine.

In terms of AI scripts, the thieves are as good as anything I have seen in any mod.

Last edited by Ilyich; 09-20-2007 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Mispelled could, elaboration on tactics.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #18
aVENGER_[RR]
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
No, I don't have the SoTM yet, I opened the door and then ran away as quickly as I could after the Assassins saw me, which triggered Aran's Trigger but not his dialogue which results in the big metal door locking.
Good catch, I'll fix that too for v3.8.

Quote:
Also I couldn't help noticing that there were less thieves for me to fight than the first time I did this component with a party. I think that the number of thieves should stay constant regardless of party makeup.
Hmm, the number of the thieves should stay the same regardless of the number of party members. Only a Difficulty Level change (i.e. Core Rules vs. Normal) would affect that. Did you per chance play a different (earlier) version of the mod with a full party?

Quote:
I also noticed the absence of Renal and the Fence, I believe they should be added to their relevant floors as "Lieutenants" with at least a 5x Backstab and magic weapons. Renal could have a +3 Short Sword and the Fence can have a +2 weapon, after all, they both have access to them.
Renal is missing from the fight in the unmodded game as well. I think Bioware deliberately did this since he is a canonic FR character (in the books) so I chose not to include him as well. As for Marina, well, let's just say that she's too much of an opportunist to blindly follow orders which spell out certain death.

Quote:
Also Gaelan Bayle's Fence should have a contingent of thieves as guards as well, identical to Gaelan's guards would be fine.
Well, in Rogue Rebalancing Arledrian (the fence) has a separate agenda from Gaelan and the Shadow Thieves. If you do his quest (which incidentally requires that you side with the Shadow Thieves rather than with Bodhi) you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
In terms of AI scripts, the thieves are as good as anything I have seen in any mod.
Thanks! BTW, how did you like their scroll use?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #19
Ilyich
Dungeon Master

Hmm, the number of the thieves should stay the same regardless of the number of party members. Only a Difficulty Level change (i.e. Core Rules vs. Normal) would affect that. Did you per chance play a different (earlier) version of the mod with a full party?

I'm playing on Core, and the full party playthrough was in November 2005.

Renal is missing from the fight in the unmodded game as well. I think Bioware deliberately did this since he is a canonic FR character (in the books) so I chose not to include him as well. As for Marina, well, let's just say that she's too much of an opportunist to blindly follow orders which spell out certain death.

Roleplaying NPC's. I like that a lot.

Well, in Rogue Rebalancing Arledrian (the fence) has a separate agenda from Gaelan and the Shadow Thieves. If you do his quest (which incidentally requires that you side with the Shadow Thieves rather than with Bodhi) you'll see what I mean.

I see, I'll have to play through to see that, it sounds interesting.

BTW, how did you like their scroll use?

I liked it a lot. It didn't help them a great deal against a TOB level character, but this component is not meant to challenge TOB level characters. I might rush to Spellhold next time I play through it just to see if the increased difficulty is bearable.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
aVENGER_[RR]
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
I'm playing on Core, and the full party playthrough was in November 2005.
Ahh, that explains it, you must have played the dreaded v3.11 back then. The STI component was heavily revised in the recent versions of the mod (v3.5 and above) and in many cases, enemy placement and numbers have been significantly altered. In summary, there are less opponents now but they act smarter.
Quote:
I might rush to Spellhold next time I play through it just to see if the increased difficulty is bearable.
Heh, if anything, it's much easier with a full party. As long as your characters are around 750,000 XP or more you shouldn't have any significant problems.